FPVLR boosted or non boosted

Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading the antenna on my controller with FPVLR.

I'm wondering what the difference is with the boosted set and non boosted set of antenna.

This will be for a Phantom 4.

Thank you

Your output gain in dB will increase with just the antenna, and your wattage output will be boosted with the amplifier.

I have the unboosted FPVLR mod on my controller, mainly to boost penetration through the forest where I live. A definite increase in range but more importantly a stronger signal through the trees. Looked at the amped kit but happy enough for now.

There is also evidence that circular polarised antennae provide better penetration through trees and less scatter from the ground

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have the unboosted FPVLR mod on my controller, mainly to boost penetration through the forest where I live. A definite increase in range but more importantly a stronger signal through the trees. Looked at the amped kit but happy enough for now.

I thought to install the same mod on my RC. I'm on the fence about the FPVLR and the DBS itelite. Not too much forests where i live, but many power lines interferences. Wich do you think would be better for that? And if the boosted one would work much better through power lines

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say neither, the magnetic fields generated by high voltage power lines are immense. Best not to fly near them at all, not just because of interference between rc and ac, but large magnetic fields can induce unregulated voltages into wires within your drone.

Last week i flew about 100 meters above a train power line and lost the signal. I was hoping to be in an adequate distance to the 'danger zone'.. how much distance i have to calculate to fly away from this cables?

I thought to install the same mod on my RC. I'm on the fence about the FPVLR and the DBS itelite. Not too much forests where i live, but many power lines interferences. Wich do you think would be better for that? And if the boosted one would work much better through power lines
I have never tried the DBS set up but I have read they are very good and easy to detach which is handy for transport. if you are getting strong inteference messages, I'm not sure if modding your RC will fix that problem other than going to another location. I fly past HV powerlines and communication towers all the time with no inteference messages so you must be in a unique area. As for your question about which set up, you could try an unboosted DBS mod to start with to see if that makes a difference before you commit to extra money for the boosted version.

I have never tried the DBS set up but I have read they are very good and easy to detach which is handy for transport. if you are getting strong inteference messages, I'm not sure if modding your RC will fix that problem other than going to another location. I fly past HV powerlines and communication towers all the time with no inteference messages so you must be in a unique area. As for your question about which set up, you could try an unboosted DBS mod to start with to see if that makes a difference before you commit to extra money for the boosted version.

I've read the two antennas have similar range in open clean space, maybe FPVLR better penetration in some obstacles. You say to try DBS for better transportability. As FPVLR owner, do you think your antenna mod isn't such a comfortable to detache and transport?

I've read the two antennas have similar range in open clean space, maybe FPVLR better penetration in some obstacles. You say to try DBS for better transportability. As FPVLR owner, do you think your antenna mod isn't such a comfortable to detache and transport?
Apart from the two sma fittings, you have to wrestle the mounting plate off the bottom of the controller which feels like it wants to break in half. I have another case for the controller which is a bit annoying but no big deal. At the time of getting the FPVLR mod, I couldn't find a DBS supplier in the state where I live and didn't want to send it across the country for the install. I think you would be fine with either and consider the portability in your decision. My range more than doubled from stock and I've taken it out to roughly 6klms at the beach so that's enough for me. Penetration through the forest was the game changer and the main reason for spending $250.

Apart from the two sma fittings, you have to wrestle the mounting plate off the bottom of the controller which feels like it wants to break in half. I have another case for the controller which is a bit annoying but no big deal. At the time of getting the FPVLR mod, I couldn't find a DBS supplier in the state where I live and didn't want to send it across the country for the install. I think you would be fine with either and consider the portability in your decision. My range more than doubled from stock and I've taken it out to roughly 6klms at the beach so that's enough for me. Penetration through the forest was the game changer and the main reason for spending $250.

Wow! 6 kms, i guess you have a P4 and little more flying time than my P3. My range test in clean open area is 5 kms with windsurfers and still good signal.
Sadly i can't fly every days in similar areas and many times i lost signal and RTH.
Maybe FPVLR won't seem the best choice for portability and looks a little bulky but i'm confident would be a good improvement for my signal. Not too used to work with electronic stuffs, anyway i will try to install by myself

Last edited:
Wow! 6 kms, i guess you have a P4 and little more flying time than my P3. My range test in clean open area is 5 kms with windsurfers and still good signal.
Sadly i can't fly every days in similar areas and many times i lost signal and RTH.
Maybe FPVLR won't seem the best choice for portability and looks a little bulky but i'm confident would be a good improvement for my signal. Not too used to work with electronic stuffs, anyway i will try to install by myself
Yes I yes I have a P4 and lots of open places to fly near my place, fly into the wind on the way out and come back with it is a good trick for managing your battery. You need to aim more directly with either antenna mod opposed to the original Omni directional antenna to get good signal strength, but you get much better video and control from the set up.

Yes I yes I have a P4 and lots of open places to fly near my place, fly into the wind on the way out and come back with it is a good trick for managing your battery. You need to aim more directly with either antenna mod opposed to the original Omni directional antenna to get good signal strength, but you get much better video and control from the set up.

Yes, with windsurfers too. If you change the angle of RC signal drops immediately. Thanks for the advices. But how do you know exact wind direction?

Yes, with windsurfers too. If you change the angle of RC signal drops immediately. Thanks for the advices. But how do you know exact wind direction?
I use UAV forecast which works quite well or simply fly it up to 100mtrs, put it in ATTI mode and watch for any drifting and fly accordingly.

Reactions: Passo Morgone
I'm considering upgrading the antenna on my controller with FPVLR.

I'm wondering what the difference is with the boosted set and non boosted set of antenna.

This will be for a Phantom 4.

Thank you

If you plan on purchasing the fpvlr don't buy it from drone nerds. I purchased a boosted one and one of the amplifiers died. They don't want to replace the defective part. I would recommend going somewhere else.

b8d4f5196120f4381d450edac9564e3c.jpg

It's arrived 2 hours ago. Never seen before this coupling type. It seems not so bulky, easy to detach and i can all recover in my amazon basic case. Just a little issue, USB cable is not comfortable to connect
Just installed wires in the RC and will go to test outdoor

Last edited:
Reactions: Spike_151
b8d4f5196120f4381d450edac9564e3c.jpg

It's arrived 2 hours ago. Never seen before this coupling type. It seems not so bulky, easy to detach and i can all recover in my amazon basic case. Just a little issue, USB cable is not comfortable to connect
Just installed wires in the RC and will go to test outdoor
Circular polarized, should be good ! Let us know how you get on

Circular polarized, should be good ! Let us know how you get on

Newbie mistakes..
Outdoor the AC dropped signal only 10 mt away and RTH.
Panic..
Return to home ( my own ), open the RC and changed something in the wires ( replace one SMA who had a suspect 'injury' on the top since there are 3 in the packaging ).
Now seems everything ok and connect normally with full signal even if i go in another room.
Tomorrow will try outdoor again and fingers crossed

Last edited:
Newbie mistakes..
Outdoor the AC dropped signal only 10 mt away and RTH.
Panic..
Return to home ( my own ), open the RC and changed something in the wires ( replace one SMA who had a suspect 'injury' on the top since there are 3 in the packaging ).
Now seems everything ok and connect normally with full signal even if i go in another room.
Tomorrow will try outdoor again and fingers crossed
Hope your test goes well, yes the USB cable is a little fiddly to pop in, I bought a shorter cable and just leave it connected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan