FPVLR antennas + wifi booster app = 2.6 mile distance flight

Re: FPVLR antennas + wifi booster app = 2.6 mile distance fl

I notice that you use only one output of the wifi extender to boost up. I know that would be sufficient.
Whats the 2.4ghz wifi boosters output ? 1000mW or 2000mW, could be a 2500mW one ?

FPVLR said:
Kag49601 said:
Very nice! I think between the 2 of us we will get Tonys antennas on top of the distance charts on flytrex!

That's what I am thinking.
I will also share a simple but effective mod to the original 5.8ghz antennas to get 50% more range.
We will transform the stock monopoles into dipoles. :D
and go from around 0-1 dB gain over isotropic for the monopole to 2-3 dB of gain over isotropic of a proper dipole.
Tony.

Looking forward to it!

ToThePoint said:
I notice that you use only one output of the wifi extender to boost up. I know that would be sufficient.
Whats the 2.4ghz wifi boosters output ? 1000mW or 2000mW, could be a 2500mW one ?

I have the 2.5w sunhans.

Kag49601 said:
Very nice! I think between the 2 of us we will get Tonys antennas on top of the distance charts on flytrex!

+1

FPVLR said:
Guys it turns out the stock antenna is already a vertical dipole

Yes it is due to the tube on the outer shield that runs back over the coax.

Tony, do you have to pull the metal sleeve off to do this? Could one just solder the second leg to it down near the center lead? If not I'm assuming the second leg is soldered directly to the outer insulation "wire"?

If someone completes this and could record for the group that would be awesome! How sensitive is this modification? If the 2nd leg gets "bent" lower than 120 degrees, would it affect it very much? I'm just thinking out loud...

I am thinking about eventually buying an extra 5.8 board and doing the acetone trick to remove the glue-old antennas. Will then install your pinwheels on the bird to complete the antenna upgrade.

tizzl10 said:
flyNfrank said:
Rather then pulling out the calculator, please explain how you were able to go 13134.4 feet in under 4 minutes, and only use 25% of your battery? Btw, it's the battery part that surprises me.

ill let the video explain it, Frank. its not hard to do..

I didn't know you were able to fly at the speed you did until I saw the video. Good job!

FPVLR said:
Guys it turns out the stock antenna is already a vertical dipole, which is ok, but still not optimal as far as efficiency.
We can squeeze a bit more gain by making a V dipole. The V dipole has more gain in the direction of the inside angle of 120 degrees.

Doing this to both the antennas, one with the 120 degree angle pointing forward and the other one pointing backwards, you will increase at least 1 db in both directions and you will have low swr, the lower leg you can make out of 0.6mm or 0.8mm mig wire or copper. Better the mig wire since it's sturdy. Length of both active element and ground leg is around 10mm as stock.
Tony, doesn't the outer casing (I'm assuming the ground side) of the antenna connected to the "cover" that you show in this picture? If so couldn't we just solder a wire on to it instead of cutting it off then soldering to the ground wire directly? I'm just thinking this could be easier and less prone to an "error" while performing the mod. If one messes up, they can desolder off of the cover and try again. Will that work?

Tony, can you do a video or know someone that can? I'm getting confused with the antenna vocabulary. It looks easy enough but I just want to be sure I'm doing it correctly. Or if someone else on the thread has completed it.... I know your a busy guy so no worries.

Kag49601 said:
I am thinking about eventually buying an extra 5.8 board and doing the acetone trick to remove the glue-old antennas. Will then install your pinwheels on the bird to complete the antenna upgrade.

If your doing that try to use Ammonia from the household.
If its epoxy, ammonia regenerates epoxy, i know that from chemist guys that produced that stuff.
It worth a try, i can't do it anymore because i removed that concrete glue with a knife and someone mentioned its epoxy after i did that.

FPVLR said:
someones's getting a 2.4ghz 8.25 turns a and a 5.8ghz 12 turns for a record attempt.
:)

WHAAAAAAAAT???????? lol..are you serious, Tony?

FPVLR said:
tizzl10 said:
FPVLR said:
someones's getting a 2.4ghz 8.25 turns a and a 5.8ghz 12 turns for a record attempt.
:)

WHAAAAAAAAT???????? lol..are you serious, Tony?

haha, well I am loaning these to Kirk to attempt the record run, after which I can do the same for you.
I wanted to build 2 of these but I am so stuffed with work... and Kirk has been waiting for a week.
But definitely I will support your attempts too.
Tony.

lol..had me all hyped up! lol.

**** happens... Thanks for catching it before hand, Tony! If things are getting tight on time I can send you over some cash so they can be shipped expedited. That way I will have them for next week. If that helps let me know.

Hope to try and test these bad boys today (if the wife lets me). The look pretty sweet on here though.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408816430.364721.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408816430.364721.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 432

Kag49601 said:
Hope to try and test these bad boys today (if the wife lets me). The look pretty sweet on here though.

nice man..let us know how it goes with the flight.

do you have a 2.4ghz amp on there?

Yes sir! Mounted under the repeater bracket.

Kag49601 said:
Yes sir! Mounted under the repeater bracket.

awesome.. would love to see the distance results with those antennas...fly safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub