FPVLR air side booster + rubbercomping (pics)

Thanks! I'll wire the leads into my controller tomorrow and try that. On the P2 which I've gotten 6KM I run stock except for the windsurfer I made and the 5.8g video which is a 1amp tx with a clover I routed to mount on the top shell to the side of the gps and a cheap $10 2" square panel on the rx. The P2 never really had an issue on control with just a windsurfer, even though early on I set up a 2amp Sunhans 2.4g on the TX. Might go back to it on the P2 if I battery mod it for distance. I'm not selling my 2 P2's because there not tied to the web and or geofenced. I actually tried the EasyCap and EasyCap viewer on the same Nvidea Shield I use on the P3 and may quite using my monitor, nice video and less bulky. I have a Amoway RX with DVR that worked better than my Black Pearl. BUT the P3's are soooooo **** easy to chuck in a fitted backpack and go!
Me too i love my P2 i have it with the old software 1.08 without any restrictions at all.I have on board the lightbridge 1 system and i install the DBS antenna on the ground station and i replace the small antennas on the air unit with bigger 5 db antennas,with those modifications i can fly with my P2 easy 5KM and much more distance with crystal clear full HD 1080 p 60 fps rock solid fpv video.To tell you the truth between my inspire 1 pro and my P3P i love more my P2.

Me too i love my P2 i have it with the old software 1.08 without any restrictions at all.I have on board the lightbridge 1 system and i install the DBS antenna on the ground station and i replace the small antennas on the air unit with bigger 5 db antennas,with those modifications i can fly with my P2 easy 5KM and much more distance with crystal clear full HD 1080 p 60 fps rock solid fpv video.To tell you the truth between my inspire 1 pro and my P3P i love more my P2.
Very Nice! As you can see in my P2 6KM run the video is not what I would call crystal clear BUT the P3pro at the same range recorded off my shield at 4mbs setting was a lot better. I would LOVE a light bridge but too pricey right now. Did you see Dronefly is offing the Ground Station setup for $30!!! I paid over $200 each for the 2 I have. But I did snag a set of T-Motors with CF props for $40 on clearance last week from them. Can't resist putting more money into the P2 rather than giving it away since I have a flying one and one w/H3-2D NIB from 2014!

Last edited:
So "rulppa" I'm dying to know your before and after on the airside booster!

So "rulppa" I'm dying to know your before and after on the airside booster!

6.26km out, sat inside workshop/garage, ipad->airplay->tv, full signals. Air side booster, fpvlr v2 antenna with 1x2.5w amp on control-side. Had to turn back because no batterymods done yet. Hoping to get hyperion 1800 and 2400 hv packs this week so i can start testing.

When i bought the p3p immediately bought windsurfer, then dbsmod panel (which is .. not for me) then fpvlr v2 antenna with boosters and now with birdside mod. I can say current setup is best so far but can't test the range before dual battery mods.

I think fpvlr setup without the airside mod would have been good enough - but didn't realize that 32ch mod simply fucks up everything with wifi-boosters because the channels are out of 2.4-2.5g range where the booster works best.

Reactions: fordruid
I think fpvlr setup without the airside mod would have been good enough - but didn't realize that 32ch mod simply fucks up everything with wifi-boosters because the channels are out of 2.4-2.5g range where the booster works best.
Out of booster range? I was running on Ch 30, wonder if that was an issue just with the bird side? I have no idea what the clover is tuned for other than 2.4g.
Queston: Why was the DBmod (Itelite panel) not for you?

When i had 2 amps on remote and used high channels like i did before amps, lost video at 4-5km range. Eg. Ch30 you are using = 2.576g and sunhans booster amplifies only 2.4-2.5g signals. With airside mod it works good with high/low channels, but then you dont need second amp on the remote so kinda solves the problem. Your problem now is windsurfer-antenna, does not work with clover antenna on bird, just like someone said before.

Figured this out day after purchasing airside mod, thats why i said i guess i would been happy with just switching to 2.4g-2.5g range (=auto channel) That 32ch hack is only for video, it still uses regular 2.4-2.5g for control.

Dbsmod itelite panel was too sensitive when it comes to orientation changes.. it doenst need more than 1cm movement and you lost all signals when you are out for +5km. It works very good, was just too hard to point. I'm sure it has great range, but from my experiences you almost need a tripod for it...also, penetration wasn't that good with it.

When i had 2 amps on remote and used high channels like i did before amps, lost video at 4-5km range. Eg. Ch30 you are using = 2.576g and sunhans booster amplifies only 2.4-2.5g signals. With airside mod it works good with high/low channels, but then you dont need second amp on the remote so kinda solves the problem. Your problem now is windsurfer-antenna, does not work with clover antenna on bird, just like someone said before.

Figured this out day after purchasing airside mod, thats why i said i guess i would been happy with just switching to 2.4g-2.5g range (=auto channel) That 32ch hack is only for video, it still uses regular 2.4-2.5g for control.

Dbsmod itelite panel was too sensitive when it comes to orientation changes.. it doenst need more than 1cm movement and you lost all signals when you are out for +5km. It works very good, was just too hard to point. I'm sure it has great range, but from my experiences you almost need a tripod for it...also, penetration wasn't that good with it.

Sell me your itelite lol !!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well, i could sell itelite dbsmod kit with bracket AND 2x 2.5w boosters and 2-3 batteries to run it, but it would cost quite much to ship where you are at.. also, customs on your side.

Well, i could sell itelite dbsmod kit with bracket AND 2x 2.5w boosters and 2-3 batteries to run it, but it would cost quite much to ship where you are at.. also, customs on your side.

I know I know !! **** Canadian dollar and customs lol !! Nice setup though !!

Dbsmod itelite panel was too sensitive when it comes to orientation changes.. it doesn't need more than 1cm movement and you lost all signals when you are out for +5km. It works very good, was just too hard to point. I'm sure it has great range, but from my experiences you almost need a tripod for it...also, penetration wasn't that good with it.
Thanks for the info. I guy here locally has a P3Pro controller with the FPVLR set up on it complete with amps and batts, also HDMI option for $500. I offered him $400 but he won't budge. Time to order an extra amp and build one. I have 2 zippy batts 2200mah that I'm mounting similar to your to see if I can extend time up considering the weight. How did yours do with the batts you had in your pics?

I am kind of confused that a clover doesn't play well with a straight antenna? Everything thing I've seen and read just indicates it's does get better range but would be even better when 2 clovers are used. On the P3 aren't the antennas in the legs and the transmitter kind of a flat panel? Saw an opened up P3 TX antenna and it appears to be a flat circuit printed affair.

I dont know how to explain but both antennas needs to have same "handed" polarization, with your airside clover (left of right handed) you need matching "hand" on controller side. Someone who knows better, can explain more.

6.26km out, sat inside workshop/garage, ipad->airplay->tv, full signals. Air side booster, fpvlr v2 antenna with 1x2.5w amp on control-side. Had to turn back because no batterymods done yet. Hoping to get hyperion 1800 and 2400 hv packs this week so i can start testing.

When i bought the p3p immediately bought windsurfer, then dbsmod panel (which is .. not for me) then fpvlr v2 antenna with boosters and now with birdside mod. I can say current setup is best so far but can't test the range before dual battery mods.
Can you tell me witch antenna is for the control side of the controller??

Ask @LarsR ^

..and try to member how you wired your new antennas (if its not stock controller) lots of people here seem to swap the sides because its more easy to run new rf cables that way.

Ask @LarsR ^

..and try to member how you wired your new antennas (if its not stock controller) lots of people here seem to swap the sides because its more easy to run new rf cables that way.
I removed the Air Side piece of crap and put the antenna's to stock. What I did do was pick up from "Banggood" a Phantom 3 Panel Antenna kit with all the wiring for $23.78 and pulled the transmitter apart and installed. I also picked up a meter like what LARS is using to see what and where power was coming from. After installing the panels I checked the out put and discovered the panels which are really simply 6db WiFi Panels wouldn't tilt up in the right direction to have the internal panel pointed in the forward direction. So I pried the cases apart and turned them in the right direction that would work with the tilt angle. Took the Phantom 3 Adv which has the old good controller and went out to 6km with absolutely no drop outs or signal loss at 400' altitude. With the stock transmitter antennas with windsurfers I'd have to climb quite a bit and still would loose signal intermittently especially when turning. Here's the link to the antenna kit:2.4-2.6G Gain Antenna Booster Signal Amplifier Refitting Kit for DJI Phantom 3 Transmitter

FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE MEDIA EMBED!!!!!!!!
Anyhow Banggood antenna kit only and 6km. Will see in a day or so how much further with the 2) 2200mah sidesaddles.

Screenshot_2016-02-21-23-03-43[1].png

Last edited:
Anybody got this info?
Really appreciate LARS..that power meter is a God send! Now I know whats where and don't have to depend on the "for sure its........ stuff" from vendors who really should know better. Wasted 2 days trying both air side locations only to discover your better off without it since DJI did such a great job designing their antennas on the bird.

Just to be 100% sure I'll run in the shop and try the meter on the unmodified newer P3Pro TX.

Well on my GL300C controller left looks like power at -.21db and right not at -7db.

Last edited:
Really appreciate LARS..that power meter is a God send! Now I know whats where and don't have to depend on the "for sure its........ stuff" from vendors who really should know better. Wasted 2 days trying both air side locations only to discover your better off without it since DJI did such a great job designing their antennas on the bird.

Just to be 100% sure I'll run in the shop and try the meter on the unmodified newer P3Pro TX.

Well on my GL300C controller left looks like power at -.21db and right not at -7db.

It would be interesting to see the GL300 A/B/C measured side by side to see if there is a noticeable difference in TX output.
I wonder if the transmitter automatically boosts power as it sees the signal drop due to distance & interference? .

It would be interesting to see the GL300 A/B/C measured side by side to see if there is a noticeable difference in TX output.
I wonder if the transmitter automatically boosts power as it sees the signal drop due to distance & interference? .

The FCC numbers indicate A and B are the same power output, but the C version reduced it. Just like birdside 323B video is 70% of the power output of the 323, and 323A is 82% of the power output of the 323. Each new iteration has less power, designed to reduce range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4