fpv?

Reaction score
I was advised to turn off fpv but can not find much info on it. If I turn it off I can still see what the camera sees but the video will be more stable. I assume that is what it does and to turn it off it can be done from the dji app when flying.
phaz

phaz said:
I was advised to turn off fpv but can not find much info on it. If I turn it off I can still see what the camera sees but the video will be more stable. I assume that is what it does and to turn it off it can be done from the dji app when flying.
phaz

The FPV setting in the app isn't about the display, it is for enabling/disabling the gimbals auto-leveling function. When you select FPV, it tells the gimbal to bank with the camera so you get the full "I'm flying" perspective in your videos.

phaz said:
phaz

The FPV checkbox is in the smartdevice app under Settings. Check the box and your gimbal will be locked (or nearly locked) about the roll axis. So when your P2 banks side to side, the camera will also bank side to side with it. Rather than being stablized in the roll direction. Test this by tilting it side to side in your hands indoors with power on and all connected with your smart device. Make sure the props are off though just to be safe.

Often times you don't want a stabilised view when flying the vehicle in FPV as you want the true view of the aircraft when not filming.

A couple of questions that I also had about the FPV capabilities.

1. When the camera gimbal is in 'FPV mode'. I assume it locks the camera's roll and pan axis to dead centre, and lets the tilt axis be set manually? Or does it just lock the roll axis?

2. What is the latency of the live video like? The DJI Lightbridge ($1400 professional kit) quotes a 150ms latency, and was wondering what the Vision+'s latency is like. Is it good enough for FPV-only flight in tight situations (e.g. weaving around trees low to the ground)?

Thanks.

HunterSK said:
Often times you don't want a stabilised view when flying the vehicle in FPV as you want the true view of the aircraft when not filming.

1. When the camera gimbal is in 'FPV mode'. I assume it locks the camera's roll and pan axis to dead centre, and lets the tilt axis be set manually? Or does it just lock the roll axis?

2. What is the latency of the live video like? The DJI Lightbridge ($1400 professional kit) quotes a 150ms latency, and was wondering what the Vision+'s latency is like. Is it good enough for FPV-only flight in tight situations (e.g. weaving around trees low to the ground)?

Thanks.

There is still a bit of stabilization in FPV mode. It isn't dead locked. I fly by purely FPV a lot. Latency is good, but you need to test your particular Phantom and your piloting skills. One rule I tend to follow is always stay higher than the tallest object between you and the Phantom, just in case you loose signal and a Failsafe occurs. If the default 20 meter will clear any obstacles, you are safe, but otherwise stay higher or it might fly into something.

Dirty Bird said:
HunterSK said:

Thanks.

There is still a bit of stabilization in FPV mode. It isn't dead locked. I fly by purely FPV a lot. Latency is good, but you need to test your particular Phantom and your piloting skills. One rule I tend to follow is always stay higher than the tallest object between you and the Phantom, just in case you loose signal and a Failsafe occurs. If the default 20 meter will clear any obstacles, you are safe, but otherwise stay higher or it might fly into something.
It would be nice if they allowed you to adjust that 20 meters in the Assistance software.

srandall25 said:
It would be nice if they allowed you to adjust that 20 meters in the Assistance software.

I wrote the DJI software engineers a message requesting they allow us to set the Failsafe height. They acknowledged receipt, but not sure if it will be implemented. I would certainly love it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4