FPV with iPAD?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20291
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20291

HELP!!!!! I'm sorry to say I'm a very newbie. I'm going to by my crippled brother a DJI Phantom 2 Vision PLUS so he can feel like he's free to float and fly and not stuck in his wheelchair. Here is a link to the Canadian store on the exact product so you know what I'm buying.
http://www.henrys.com/85168-DJI-PHANTOM ... prodtabs-1

My simple question is this..... he has an iPAD 2. Can he use this for FPV while flying? If not I have about $850.00 (Canadian) to buy a new iPad Mini, or the ANY new iPad if they will work as a FPV. He's 60 and he cant use the small iPhone for the FPV, its to tiny for his eyes. I prefer the iPad so he can use it for editing his movies and pictures with iMovie. I have heard of the Black Pearl Monitor but to be honest I know nothing about soldering and wiring which I think needs to be done if I buy that instead of an iPad, plus I think it needs a TX/RX as well and that sounds like more than my budget. Plus.... I know the Lightbridge thing is out there but that's waaaaay over my budget. Can ANYONE help me to find out if a NEW iPad will work as FPV and if the APPS DJI Vision and GS (Ground Station) will work too. His birthday is February 1sr so I gotta move quick. Thanks to anyone who can offer or help with advice to this newbie.

Thanks so very much dirk for your help. You've help me to make the final plunge/decision to buy. Thank you.

Welcome to the site. First off, you are a great brother. Next, I have a friend that uses a iPad & loves it. I use a mini & love it also. I would use what you have & if any problem then look at a mini.

One suggestion, get him a little radio shack helicopter or something like that & have him practice with that. If he can fly that with no problem, he will do great! Another suggestion, have him come to the forum & read & watch you tube videos. Try to make sense of the manual. The manual is not the best written manual so if you look on here & can find the vision summary guide, I think the person who goes by Great Pumpkin has it listed in his signature. Download it & read! I think he will have a great time & love it.

Larry, thanks for the heads up. I have researched this topic since the beginning of November and started out with wanting to buy the PARROT BEBOP with SKYCONTROLLER. Since then I've learned that the DJI series are far more advanced although a bit more money. So I will certainly be helping my brother with software, installation and setup etc. As for flying for the first time I will make sure he keeps the Phantom just a few feet off the ground and fly in a socce or football field with line of site only until he is very very comfortable. From there I will let him go higher and higher but definitely slower. I have watched so many videos on this topic but you can never watch enough or read enough. I will continue to read up as much as humanly possible for the best experience he can get. Thanks so very much for your time and help. Every iota of info is very helpful to me.

Larry, thanks for the heads up. I have researched this topic since the beginning of November and started out with wanting to buy the PARROT BEBOP with SKYCONTROLLER. Since then I've learned that the DJI series are far more advanced although a bit more money. So I will certainly be helping my brother with software, installation and setup etc. As for flying for the first time I will make sure he keeps the Phantom just a few feet off the ground and fly in a socce or football field with line of site only until he is very very comfortable. From there I will let him go higher and higher but definitely slower. I have watched so many videos on this topic but you can never watch enough or read enough. I will continue to read up as much as humanly possible for the best experience he can get. Thanks so very much for your time and help. Every iota of info is very helpful to me.
We are glad to help. There are several that know these things inside & out. Good luck & I hope you & your brother really enjoy the time together.

Welcome to the forum!

And may God bless you for what you are doing for your brother!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers