FPV with HeadPlay HD-review

Reaction score
After reading countless posts and opinions on FPV google options, I decided upon the HeadPlay HD goggles. I purchased the HDMI add on board from DJI and installed it on my remote. Fairly simple, but required a specialty small screw driver set, which I had.

The HP come with no wires to connect, so I had to purchase a mini HDMI to miniHDMI patch cable. Once I charged the battery, I connected it to the HP's and they powered up (there is no on/off button). The first thing I notices was that the menu is in Chinese. With no directions on how to change the menu to English, I fumbled around for 15 minutes using trial and error. Here is how to get to the English menu:
Press menu button. Press Volume button to select the "paint palate" icon. Select the first line with the up/down button, then press volume button.
I changed a few of the settings to get a better image, then selected HDMI as my source and plugged it in. It lit right up (I have heard of issues with older firmware, but mine worked perfectly). I did change a setting in the DJI GO app to allow HDMI simultaneous out, which appears once you have the HDMI board installed on the remote.

The next thing I noticed is that everything was blurry, but that was a function of my eyes, not the HeadPlay (I'm 47). A focus adjustment would be a nice improvement. I jammed in a pair of reading glasses for the time being (they don't fit well) and wow! The view is incredible. Much richer, clearer and larger than FatSharks. The advantage FatSharks have is the form factor (my wife was making fun of me) and the ability to change diopter settings. A company makes a lens for the HP's, which I ordered and will hopefully eliminate the need for glasses.

Flying FPV wasn't really difficult or disorientating, and the OSD on screen was fine for my needs. I could really see well and flew in close to the treetops and through my yard. I was able to be very confident because of the lack of delay on the screen. The bird seemed to immediately respond to my inputs.

I ordered an extra battery, as the HP's eat through the battery in about 40 minutes. There is no warning when the battery is reaching the end of its charge; the HP's just turn off, which can be disorienting. There is a small battery buzzer that can be added on to the battery to warn you when you are reaching low voltage, but I haven't ordered it yet.

If you are on the fence, I hope this helps. As of now, I rate them as pretty darn good, perhaps the lenses will change that to fantastic. I will update this post after I receive the "Rho" lenses.

I've got the RHO lens and it makes a world of difference. I've only flown a couple times with mine so far but the video quality is excellent. Let me know if you notice a reduction in range. I turned off my wifi board to reduce noise and haven't fully tested it since.

After reading countless posts and opinions on FPV google options, I decided upon the HeadPlay HD goggles. I purchased the HDMI add on board from DJI and installed it on my remote. Fairly simple, but required a specialty small screw driver set, which I had.

The HP come with no wires to connect, so I had to purchase a mini HDMI to miniHDMI patch cable. Once I charged the battery, I connected it to the HP's and they powered up (there is no on/off button). The first thing I notices was that the menu is in Chinese. With no directions on how to change the menu to English, I fumbled around for 15 minutes using trial and error. Here is how to get to the English menu:
Press menu button. Press Volume button to select the "paint palate" icon. Select the first line with the up/down button, then press volume button.
I changed a few of the settings to get a better image, then selected HDMI as my source and plugged it in. It lit right up (I have heard of issues with older firmware, but mine worked perfectly). I did change a setting in the DJI GO app to allow HDMI simultaneous out, which appears once you have the HDMI board installed on the remote.

The next thing I noticed is that everything was blurry, but that was a function of my eyes, not the HeadPlay (I'm 47). A focus adjustment would be a nice improvement. I jammed in a pair of reading glasses for the time being (they don't fit well) and wow! The view is incredible. Much richer, clearer and larger than FatSharks. The advantage FatSharks have is the form factor (my wife was making fun of me) and the ability to change diopter settings. A company makes a lens for the HP's, which I ordered and will hopefully eliminate the need for glasses.

Flying FPV wasn't really difficult or disorientating, and the OSD on screen was fine for my needs. I could really see well and flew in close to the treetops and through my yard. I was able to be very confident because of the lack of delay on the screen. The bird seemed to immediately respond to my inputs.

I ordered an extra battery, as the HP's eat through the battery in about 40 minutes. There is no warning when the battery is reaching the end of its charge; the HP's just turn off, which can be disorienting. There is a small battery buzzer that can be added on to the battery to warn you when you are reaching low voltage, but I haven't ordered it yet.

If you are on the fence, I hope this helps. As of now, I rate them as pretty darn good, perhaps the lenses will change that to fantastic. I will update this post after I receive the "Rho" lenses.

I have the RHO lens which makes a world of difference for us who wear reading glasses so you don't need glasses with the HP Goggles. It's much better than the two lens HP sends with the goggles. I haven't had much air time with them yet due to weather, but plan more soon I hope. I have the buzzer for the battery, but in the instructions for the HP goggles, it said the goggles will turn off at 6volts. The buzzer I have which was referred by others on this forum only buzzes at it highest at 3.8volts. Not sure if I have the right one. But the RHO lens are great. But you have to ensure they are in tight. Mine fell out the first time. It takes a bit to get them installed properly. Good luck and happy flying.

Reactions: DrJoe
I have HP as well and have just completed the battery mod to give extended viewing time (2000mah Venom). I think that these goggles are AWESOME and I am awaiting RHO lenses for final mod. Most definately recommend these goggles!
Cheers

I have the P-3a and was concerned with video quality. Do any of you have a P3a how is the quality?

I have already installed the HDMI board on my RC

I have the P-3a and was concerned with video quality. Do any of you have a P3a how is the quality?

I have already installed the HDMI board on my RC

I have the P3A and the Headplay Goggle HD glasses and using the HDMI port on the p3a. The quality seems great to me and a nice HD screen. However, I don't have much to compare them to as far as goggles. I have seen YouTube video's where they show you for example, the Fatsharks and others. From what I see, many other goggles are not HD, they are not HD. Not too good for me. But, you have to make up your own mind. There are benefits to a lot of the goggles and you have to decide for yourself. But, I do love the Headplay HD.

Reactions: jeff2432
I have HP as well and have just completed the battery mod to give extended viewing time (2000mah Venom). I think that these goggles are AWESOME and I am awaiting RHO lenses for final mod. Most definately recommend these goggles!
Cheers

Hey Ranger, can you tell me where you got your new battery? Maybe a link? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What model HeadPlay goggles did you get?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: smitty152
here is the link to the venom battery. Im in Canada so this should be pretty easy to find.

https://www.amazon.ca/Venom-2000mAh-Battery-Universal-System/dp/B002AK38TS

get one one of these to:

5pcs Male Power Adapter DC Barrel Connector: Amazon.ca: Electronics

These connectors are great : clip off end of battery cable(black and red) pre solder the ends, file down solder to insert directly into connector. insert red wire into + ive and black into (- ive) and tape up. use shrink wrap if you desire. I checked the polarity of the plug before and this works.

My eyes are older, I've had to get X6-readers to get in focus, but they work great with my P3P and P4. However, I had to do done adjusting to see all of the telemetry data at the bottom of the screen. I carved out the Styrofoam that below the eyes, little by little with an xacto knife. There is a little too much foam that blocks the view, just carve it out and it works much better. Speert is the only company I have found that makes good readers greater than X3 magnification, many styles of frames, so I got the narrow ones 4.9" wide, which fit fine.

Reactions: DrJoe
here is the link to the venom battery. Im in Canada so this should be pretty easy to find.

Venom 20C 2S 2000mAh 7.4 LiPO Battery with Universal Plug System, Batteries - Amazon Canada

get one one of these to:

5pcs Male Power Adapter DC Barrel Connector: Amazon.ca: Electronics

These connectors are great : clip off end of battery cable(black and red) pre solder the ends, file down solder to insert directly into connector. insert red wire into + ive and black into (- ive) and tape up. use shrink wrap if you desire. I checked the polarity of the plug before and this works.

Thanks for the links Ranger. It's much easier than changing the battery in mid flight.

Well, I got the Rho lens for the HP goggles today. Popped them in (a little awkward, they certainly could improve the engineering), but once in place... WOW! First of all, I hate that my eyes require the lens, but I finally got to really experience the HeadPlay HD's as they were supposed to be experienced. I'm addicted, and surprised I waited so long to go all in on FPV. Zooming along at treetop level with a clear view of everything and anything.

If you are considering the Rho lens, get it! I think I'm going to buy a racing quad next... this is just too cool. The dork factor is off the charts, but its so cool I don't even care.

Reactions: MALWAIR
I agree. I have seen these goggles and others used for racing. I'm not sure if you can race without goggles at least closer to the ground and through trees, etc. Awesome goggles. I showed mine to a friend the other day and he couldn't believe how clear it was with the RHO lens. I need glasses but he has great eyesight. So, this shows that even people who don't need glasses can also benefit from the RHO lens. Happy Flying.

So i got my HeadPlay yesterday and the first thing i did was opening it up to disconnect the radio receiver to reduce the power usage a little bit. Much to my surprise there was a loose screw inside, located between the main- and receiver board. :eek:

Also had some problems fitting the new HDMI module on the remote. The plastic cap (with HDMI port) just wouldn't line up correctly with the back of the remote. After examining it more closely i discovered the old plastic cap had been fitted so tightly, a part of the plastic ring broke off and was left on top of the screw hole on the remote.

After this i was rewarded with a beautiful picture quality, and the fact i could see the image clearly without using my glasses (that didn't fit anyway). :)

My wife gave me HP for my birthday today. very impressed... How freeing to fly above the treetops know that if I was just watching, I'd be squinting trying to se my bird. can't wait to get back out!

Reactions: NRJ
I have the HP as well. This battery lasts about an hour and has a built it power meter. Works great. You can get them from a horizon hog guy dealer as well. In the US and Canada.

the FatShark 1800mAh 7.4v Headset Battery

I have the HP as well. This battery lasts about an hour and has a built it power meter. Works great. You can get them from a horizon hog guy dealer as well. In the US and Canada.

the FatShark 1800mAh 7.4v Headset Battery
I was thinking to buy that one too, but decided to buy a 2nd 1000mAh one because i read that the weight is more than twice as high. You don't have any problems wearing it on the back of your head?

I was thinking to buy that one too, but decided to buy a 2nd 1000mAh one because i read that the weight is more than twice as high. You don't have any problems wearing it on the back of your head?

No not really. There is a little Circular Velcro Patch at the back of the head band. I just stuck a small piece of Velcro on the battery to mount it. I don't even notice it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4