FPV using VR goggles ?

Reaction score
I know FPV is best using the hdmi module and say fat shark goggles but too many $$ for me. So have ordered Blitzwolf goggles and plan to use my phone. Researching it seems I need Litchi . Why a need for Litchi ? Won't the phone show normal video feed as normal but much clearer without sun/light glare so why need for Litchi ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

VR goggles will magnify and distort 2 areas of your screen. Litchi does this by formatting the video into "Google VR" style as two images. If you want a large view in 720p for cheap you can do what I did with a cheap VR headset and some reading glasses.

Google Cardboard HooToo VR 2D FPV viewer modification

These virtual reality goggles need two side by side images to make you feel 3D virtual reality. How do you divide one picture into two individual pictures? You need either an app to do or your goggles should divide it on its own.

Litchi and many other apps are capable of producing two side by side images on a screen to help you view thru a goggle and enjoy VR.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks for replies seems that litchi gives the 3D effect should be good ! Probably depend on the phone used ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just to be clear you won't get a proper 3D effect.
That would need 2 cameras on the bird each in a slightly different position to give you 2 slightly different images. Litchi will just take the same image and split it in 2.

It will however block reflections which I think is what your aiming at.

Reactions: JonEQuest
For FPV you may use another App instead of Litchi. Some of them are expensive (like Dream Flights Buy Dream Flights app or bundle with VR glasses), some are free. You can look them up are App store. They all are 3rd parry Apps, so the drone will be crashed/damaged and DJi will found that it was cause by App you wont be covered by insurance.

I crashed mine using Litchi follow me mode with P3.

No I didn't bother. I am responsible for trying an unapproved mode with follow me. It must work better on the P4 because on my P3 it seemed to work OK then kept losing me even in a grassy field, then it just careened off to the side into my neighbors roof and tumbled to the ground cracking the arm and knocking the camera off totally. Luckily I had the gimbal saver on the gimbal and the CF one across the bottom landing gear. I think that saved my camera. I just plugged it back in and all was good. I still needed a body though but that was my excuse to paint it, add an auxiliary switch port and auxiliary power plug.

I have P3, and Yes, the connection with Lichi is very bad sometimes. It seems to be better with Dream Flights, but anyway I do not feel safe while flying. You are lucky the camera is not damaged. Hope, DJI Go will add more flying modes in future.

Yes, I think that they won't since they need to sell new drones. It is the same thing phone makers do. They only put the newest OS with the cool features on the newest phones for a long time. Then eventually let some of last years phones get it later after sales of the new model die down.

Reactions: Don Donavan
Yes, I think that they won't since they need to sell new drones. It is the same thing phone makers do. They only put the newest OS with the cool features on the newest phones for a long time. Then eventually let some of last years phones get it later after sales of the new model die down.
yep, it is always about money

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl