FPV using NVidia Shield K1 and airbuds (or other) goggles

I connected the My Buds to the Nvidia Shield K1 via HDMI cable (I don't have the DJI HDMI module) and they work surprisingly well. I need a shorter HDMI mini cable (1 foot should do it) but am encouraged by the results. No lag, no pixilation. Its not pure HD, probably 720P but for FPV, its plenty good. Plus, I don't look like a total dweeb as the glasses are MUCH smaller than what others strap to their heads :).

Wearing prescription glasses creates some challenges and I wonder how they will work in direct sunlight but for now, so far so good.

I have the Nvidia Shield K1 like yourself and a phantom P3P but I cannot find the "My Buds" you recommend anywhere. Did you mean "view buds" thats the closest I could find?

They are called MyBuds. Mine came from Korea. I bought a curved eye mask for $10. In the next day or 2 I will make a precise slit at pupil location and attach face mask to inside of Mybuds. Should be a really sweet setup after that. I will say that without a mod like this, they let alot of light in. I will simply cut an X and then hot glue each flap its side of the viewer. Will also atach the velcro straps to the arms/temple of the mybuds. I the elastic velcro strap will then keep the glasses on which they dont do otherwise.

Attachments

• cameringo_20160403_075713.jpg
    cameringo_20160403_075713.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 495
  • cameringo_20160403_075800.jpg
    cameringo_20160403_075800.jpg
    852 KB · Views: 444
Reactions: Frankc
Personally I'd stay away from the Shield. There are some good reviews on Amazon but the bad ones all note bad battery life, mushy hard to reach sleep/wake/power button, wifi issues with the latest Android update (6.x or Marshmallow), etc. Go to Amazon and read them. You kinda get what you pay for but it may be enough for you, up to you.

In my mind the GO App runs smoother and better on iOS devices and the later ones the better, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 6 or 6s Plus etc. You can feel and tell it was developed as an iOS first App as many Apps are. If you want a cheaper iPad solution look for a new iPad Mini 2 from a reputable seller. The GO App runs pretty good on it.

I don't want to get into a holy war but all I can say is that I've used both platforms and at least for me even stock Android (Nexus devices) were much more buggy, less intuitive and just not as refined.

Battery life is no longer a problem with the Shield. I have had mine 6 months and use all three of my phantom 3 batteries and the Shield still isn't close to needing a recharge. I ordered the Head Play goggles and am expecting great results using the hdmi output. The Shield is the answer for my drone after trying other displays.

Battery life is no longer a problem with the Shield. I have had mine 6 months and use all three of my phantom 3 batteries and the Shield still isn't close to needing a recharge. I ordered the Head Play goggles and am expecting great results using the hdmi output. The Shield is the answer for my drone after trying other displays.

just a tip, don't forget to get a mini to mini cable to connect the shield to the HP, the first one I ordered was a 1m cable but it just wasn't long enough, it was putting a strain on the tab as well as the HP, so now I've got a 2m one, now there's plenty of slack, no pulling on the tab when/if you turn your head plus it comes in handy if you want to let somebody else have a look at the HP

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4