FPV using NVidia Shield K1 and airbuds (or other) goggles

Reaction score
So I purchased a Shield that has HDMI out. I'm thinking to plug fpv goggles into the tablet but want to know if the shield can send the screen images to the goggles and tablet simultaneously?

So I purchased a Shield that has HDMI out. I'm thinking to plug fpv goggles into the tablet but want to know if the shield can send the screen images to the goggles and tablet simultaneously?

please pm me what goggles you are going to use as I'm thinking along the same lines as you, TIA

please pm me what goggles you are going to use as I'm thinking along the same lines as you, TIA

Let everyone know about your kit and how it works, it's interesting and your post is exqctly about this so, any experience or report is really welcome

Hey guys, can you please post here what you are using for the goggles and how they do? I have the K1 tablet to run Litchi for GS and orbit flights. I have a Note4 that I messed around with for FPV on Litchi using these Amazon.com: Google Cardboard 2.0 Version VR BOX Virtual Reality 3D Glasses Games Video Headset for Smartphone + Retail Packaging: Electronics. So now looking for Goggles that are not outrageous and use an HDMI input instead of using Google cardboard setup. I ordered a Nexus 7 not knowing the 1st gen would not do well for FPV. Was thinking about pairing that up with a Dive7 Goggle.

Any insight will be fully appreciated :)

I have done a ton of research on this and find that for me, the nvidia shield k1 tablet and the headplay glasses work the best.

I also have the dji hdmi module installed on my controller and sometimes like to use that as well.

The tablet is $199 on amazon and the glasses can be purchased at getfpv.com or rangevideo.com for $249 and come in red, white and black.

Also, the lens that comes pre-installed makes the image a little too big, so I swapped it out with the included lens and it made the image smaller but easier to see all at once.

Awesome. Thank you very much! The only thing I don't have is the Headplay. I will give it a shot :)
You said sometimes you use the HDMI out on the p3 controller. Is that when you are flying with the DJIgo app and not Litchi? And when flying with Litchi I assume you are going from HDMI out on the K1 to the Headplay?

I also ordered a Eachine Racer 250 a couple of weeks ago that is on the slowboat so I should get that in 2-4 weeks. It seems the Headplay will do great for the p3 as well as the Eachine. Thanks again for your input!!

I connected the My Buds to the Nvidia Shield K1 via HDMI cable (I don't have the DJI HDMI module) and they work surprisingly well. I need a shorter HDMI mini cable (1 foot should do it) but am encouraged by the results. No lag, no pixilation. Its not pure HD, probably 720P but for FPV, its plenty good. Plus, I don't look like a total dweeb as the glasses are MUCH smaller than what others strap to their heads :).

Wearing prescription glasses creates some challenges and I wonder how they will work in direct sunlight but for now, so far so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy1980
Mybuds gives surprisingly good results and has a very small form factor.

Mybuds gives surprisingly good results and has a very small form factor.
Gee wiz. It seems the opinions on FPV equipment is miles apart. The one thing I did find is that every single youtube video by quad racers said the Headplay was a big thumbs down. I ordered a pair of the MyBuds from Korea for $170 so hopefully in 2-3 weeks I can join the MyBud happy campers. I would imagine that over the next year we are going to see some major innovation in the VR glasses.

Gee wiz. It seems the opinions on FPV equipment is miles apart. The one thing I did find is that every single youtube video by quad racers said the Headplay was a big thumbs down. I ordered a pair of the MyBuds from Korea for $170 so hopefully in 2-3 weeks I can join the MyBud happy campers. I would imagine that over the next year we are going to see some major innovation in the VR glasses.

For many FPV racers the FOV is too large with the headplays. Also they take a little bit of getting used to because of that large field of view.

I was thinking of getting the Nvidea shield K1 also. I have heard great reviews in conjunction with the Go App. Can anyone who has used one say how it does in sunshine...I am going back and forth between that an an iPad mini .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Personally I'd stay away from the Shield. There are some good reviews on Amazon but the bad ones all note bad battery life, mushy hard to reach sleep/wake/power button, wifi issues with the latest Android update (6.x or Marshmallow), etc. Go to Amazon and read them. You kinda get what you pay for but it may be enough for you, up to you.

In my mind the GO App runs smoother and better on iOS devices and the later ones the better, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 6 or 6s Plus etc. You can feel and tell it was developed as an iOS first App as many Apps are. If you want a cheaper iPad solution look for a new iPad Mini 2 from a reputable seller. The GO App runs pretty good on it.

I don't want to get into a holy war but all I can say is that I've used both platforms and at least for me even stock Android (Nexus devices) were much more buggy, less intuitive and just not as refined.

I was thinking of getting the Nvidea shield K1 also. I have heard great reviews in conjunction with the Go App. Can anyone who has used one say how it does in sunshine...I am going back and forth between that an an iPad mini .

I have both and the difference in sunshine is negligible. A hoodi sunshade helps as does a matte screen protector. The iPad mini overheats and goes dark, where the Shield has not failed me yet.

I prefer the Shield over the mini because of the HDMI output, too. I'm using Zeiss Cinemizer goggles in bright sun, and they mirror the Shield display so I can clearly see the bird's telemetry. The dipole adjustment is great for a clear, focused display. The goggle has been discontinued, but I'm sure there are some used ones or similar available.

I agree with Fplvert. Sunshade and matte glare screen make it work great!
- Does it have the best battery life you can get on a tablet? no
- Does it have the brightest screen you can get on a tablet? no
- Is the power button a little hard to press? yes
... and definitely don't upgrade to android 6.0, leave the android version that ships with it.

If you are looking for a multi-use tablet to use for other things when you're not flying, maybe get something else. But, if you want something dedicated to flying.. (for me) this was the best option.

(Apologies for slight hijacking...)

Has anyone found a way to use the K1 along with a phone (in my case a rooted Nexus 6) in order to have both the tablet (for easier touch input and backup/screen recording) and goggles working concurrently?

I need an (active) HDMI to USB converter and an app on the phone to split the screen for the goggles....methinks...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1