FPV tx power draw question

Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to purchase an fpv setup for my P2 . I only need it to frame up my shots for video and photos so range will be relatively short. I would prefer a lightweight 5.8 ghz video tx because I am trying to keep my Phantom weight down for handling and flight time. I am considering a fat shark 250 mw (lightweight) but also have seen that the Immersion RC 600mw is a popular choice(also lightweight). My main question is....does the higher mw transmitters (like 600mw) draw considerably more power over a 250mw tx to make a difference on flight time? 250mw is probably more range than I would even need but having a safety buffer wouldn't be a bad thing either. Thoughts?

PS: this forum has been invaluable in my experience with my Phantom and transitioning to aerial photography so thank you to all who contribute to the forum.

-Justin

Don't know if this helps, but I did a soak test on the phantom a while back

I was running this:
Phantom switched on fully charged battery but no throttle ie: just with lights flashing
Avl58 tx - 600ma
Iosd mini

After 2hours it was down to 55% charge!

So yes, I would guess a 200ma tx would make a large difference.

I have read that a 200mw with cloverleaf antennas achieves more range than a 600mw with standard antennas.
Not sure how accurate this is, but if you can get away with lower mw-idge (is that even a word LOL) you'll defo get more flight time.

well, it's safe to conclude that a 600mw eats up nearly 2.5x the amount of energy that a 250mw uses.

I haven't run a test comparing my 600mw to my 250mw,. but I might sometime soon.

I did run a test with my Phantom with 250mw and tarot running, and concluded that both running at the same time use up somewhere around 30mah per minute.

I swapped out the Immersion 600mW for a 250mW and got on average 1-2 more minutes of flight time. So far haven't had the cajones to fly far enough to test the 250mW range. I've managed about 500m so far with no issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4