FPV transmitter blocking gps

Reaction score
I installed this FPV system this weekend with the egg beater antenna's. I still have some display issues using that igrabber device and guess I'll go a more traditional route. But the deal is that I did mount the antenna upward off to one side. I know the gps antenna is there in the middle and it is preferred to mount video antenna downward because it's generally above you. This 1.3mhz antenna is big and just didn't like the looks of it. So anyways, I turn on everything and wait for boot up and ph fails to get any gps..... 3 reds with the one green. I tried this a few times over 24 hours. Then I cut the power to transmitter and left everything in place and ph gets gps now.

Do you guys believe it's because the transmitter is too strong (800mw) or is it antenna location?? I also figure if I mount it downward, it'll effect the compass too.

http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_88_90&products_id=951

Davek said:
I installed this FPV system this weekend with the egg beater antenna's. I still have some display issues using that igrabber device and guess I'll go a more traditional route. But the deal is that I did mount the antenna upward off to one side. I know the gps antenna is there in the middle and it is preferred to mount video antenna downward because it's generally above you. This 1.3mhz antenna is big and just didn't like the looks of it. So anyways, I turn on everything and wait for boot up and ph fails to get any gps..... 3 reds with the one green. I tried this a few times over 24 hours. Then I cut the power to transmitter and left everything in place and ph gets gps now.

Do you guys believe it's because the transmitter is too strong (800mw) or is it antenna location?? I also figure if I mount it downward, it'll effect the compass too.

http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_88_90&products_id=951

Your experiment answered your question. I would just mount it on the underside. I have a fatshark 600mw on mine and don't have GPS or compass issues. Try different spots if you can. I use Velcro, not screws though!

That's an idea, I'll try outside the case. Might help with heat as well. The antennas are rather large in this freq so it makes it harder to mount.

Davek said:
That's an idea, I'll try outside the case. Might help with heat as well. The antennas are rather large in this freq so it makes it harder to mount.

Yes. On the outside much better. Especially for people like me that can't glue two pieces of wood together.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj