Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FPV through obstacle

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by gmrwhite, May 26, 2014.

1. gmrwhite

Hi everybody, can someone tell me which are the best frequencies to make a FPV even if you are not in line of sight? with the 5.8 transmitter/receiver even a tree between you and the phantom can make the video signal disappear. how can i solve this?
    thanks!

2. IrishSights

It can't. Its a feature of 5.8 and 2.4

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

3. tom3holer

1.3 has much better penetration but the antennas are soo much larger, almost prohibitive on the Phantom.

Tom

4. KBurn

It's my understanding that helical antennas may work better with some obstacles like trees due to higher gain... the more coils the stronger the signal (but it also gets more directional- narrower angles to work with). I could be wrong of course as a relative newbie

5. gmrwhite

thanks, does anyone has a real experience with helical antenna and flying behind trees? is it really better?

6. Diesel31

Yes, I fly 5.8 through the trees often it makes for better pilot skills. With that said, you will experience a lot of interference no matter what antennas you use, but you need to learn how to deal with it. If you have diversity goggles, than you might see some benefit from a helical. I have a 5 turn helical on my BP Monitor, but it seems to use the mushroom. If you have Fatsharks, you're better off with a mushroom or spironet. I tried the 5 turn helical, but being directional, it was too narrow to get a decent signal that I couldn't see if the penetration was any better.

7. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

The lower the frequency, the better it can penetrate solid objects. Keep in mind that if your RC control is on 2.4GHz and your FPV is on a lower frequency, you may lose control before you lose FPV.