FPV range with cloverleaf antennas?

Reaction score
What kind of range are you all getting out of your FPV systems? I have the DJI TX, cloverleaf antennas, and a monitor with built in RX. It seems many times that the video signal cuts out around 250 meters while a few times I've had clear video to 500+ meters. Do ya'll find big variances like that or is your range consistent?

With the P2, flying h3b+/zen/fatshark 250mw vTx payload at 1600 meters (5300 feet) above sea level at 0 Celsius, I reached 1200 meters distance with mostly clear vTx and total flight time of 17 minutes. I did notice the orientation of the craft relative to my position affected vTx clarity even though the p2 was 30-60 meters above my elevation.

There was a cell tower within 100 meters. The flight was over an open field sparsely populated reducing risk if any wifi frequency interference.

Btw I upgraded to the fatshark circular polarized antennas and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the best way to orient the Cloverleaf Antenna on the transmitter? Shout it be pointing straight out of the back horizontally or point down vertically.... or somewhere in between?

Ozon8r said:
Btw I upgraded to the fatshark circular polarized antennas and love them.
I've been thinking about getting the Fatshark Antennas... do you think they make a difference?

I'm running some generic 5.8Ghz cloverleafs on mine with a 32ch 200mW vtx and a black pearl 7" diversity 32ch with a cloverleaf rx as well. I have it pointing out of the back but angled downwards (so a 90 degree bend) and when flying away from me I get over 1.2km out of it, however, if i just rotate the phantom to fly back home I loose signal completely until It gets about 600m.

I just installed 90 degree right angle plugs on both my tx and rx so the aerial now points directly down on the p2, and up on the rx. It does now seem a bit more stable reception with a lot less screen losses at close proximity

Only a few £, but there are 2 different types, so if you're gonna buy some don't get the wrong ones ( like I did first time -DOH!)

My business partner just received his "P2 Ultimate FPV Package Combo" today from Atlanta Hobby, pre-assembled and test flown. I was surprised to see it come straight out of the box with the cloverleaf antenna mounted pointing straight down, but only a centimeter away from the compass.

Does anyone see an issue with this? Should he take the 90 degreee elbow out and point it straight out the back instead?

lgeist said:
My business partner just received his "P2 Ultimate FPV Package Combo" today from Atlanta Hobby, pre-assembled and test flown. I was surprised to see it come straight out of the box with the cloverleaf antenna mounted pointing straight down, but only a centimeter away from the compass.

Does anyone see an issue with this? Should he take the 90 degreee elbow out and point it straight out the back instead?

Yes, keep the antenna away from the compass. It is unshielded and RF, EMI, magnetic objects and even just large pieces of metal can effect its performance. Can you move the VTX to the side opposite the compass? At a minimum remove the elbow and just curve it down slightly.

And be sure to recalibrate the compass once all the gear is installed and operational. You want to calibrate it with everything on as it would be when flying.

ianwood said:
lgeist said:

Yes, keep the antenna away from the compass. It is unshielded and RF, EMI, magnetic objects and even just large pieces of metal can effect its performance. Can you move the VTX to the side opposite the compass? At a minimum remove the elbow and just curve it down slightly.

And be sure to recalibrate the compass once all the gear is installed and operational. You want to calibrate it with everything on as it would be when flying.

Yeah, Atlanta Hobby didn't leave enough slack in the harness to move the TX. Looks like we'll just point the antenna straight out the back instead. Here is a photo of how it was delivered (Test flown and assembled by dealer):

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 3,032
Un-stick the Video Transmitter, turn it 180 degree's around, so the antenna out position is opposite the Compass, and re-stick.
They mounted it backwards. Also, the cloverleaf/Circular Polarizing antenna's work best pointed exactly straight down.
I've gotten to 671 meters at 47 meters in altitude with clear reception. But, as others have pointed out, when rotating, you will likely lose reception at some point.
If/when that happens, climb. A difference of only 10 meters makes a huge difference.

Also-if you are that far away, there is no way you can see the aircraft well enough to tell which direction it's pointed and control it. So, if you lose video signal-you have a "get out of jail free" card-flip the switch to Home Lock(assume you are in GPS mode-if not, toggle GPS mode too), and just pull back on the stick, until you receive video signal again, or can see the aircraft well enough to regain control.

Also-be careful with flying out such long distances. You may end up with a loss of transmitter signal-and still have video signal(had that happen twice-long story, but the antenna I was using, was mounted in a way that it was outside the landing gear leg where the RX antenna was located, blocking that signal). IF, that happens, you will see GPS FS on your screen(assuming you have the iOSD Mini), the aircraft will stop-hover for about 5 seconds, then make a very smooth turn, and fly back to home point at about 10m/second, at the altitude it lost signal, or, 60 feet-whichever is higher.

It's happened to me twice-and both times, it flew back perfectly. I've since removed that longer antenna I had on and replaced with a shorter one that has a 90 degree connector on it-no problems at all.

EDIT: forgot-I have a Boscam 600mw transmitter, and a dual antenna/7" screen receiver. All have circular polarizing antenna's. The Boscam actually only puts out about 200 or so MW's according to some online tests-but it works well enough for me. Looks like you have the identical video transmitter that I have.
Use double sided, 3M Red sticky tape(2 pieces-1 on the TX and 1 on the back of the Phantom), to stick it.

havasuphoto said:
Un-stick the Video Transmitter, turn it 180 degree's around, so the antenna out position is opposite the Compass, and re-stick.

Unfortunately, I can't do that now. Atlanta Hobby cut and spliced the wiring harness with no slack in it. In order to turn it 180 degrees, it would require cutting and splicing back in 3 more inches of wire :-/

lgeist said:
Unfortunately, I can't do that now. Atlanta Hobby cut and spliced the wiring harness with no slack in it. In order to turn it 180 degrees, it would require cutting and splicing back in 3 more inches of wire :-/

You should call them and ask them why they mounted the antenna on top of the compass. From the P2 manual:

PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.04_en.pdf said:
Be sure to keep the wireless video transmission module and other communicating devices away from the compass during installation and connection to avoid interference.

lgeist said:
havasuphoto said:

That sucks!!! I would return it, and tell them to do it correctly. It's obvious to most here, that it's backwards.

havasuphoto said:
lgeist said:
havasuphoto said:

That sucks!!! I would return it, and tell them to do it correctly. It's obvious to most here, that it's backwards.

I just spoke to Atlanta Hobby. They apologized and said it shouldn't have gone out like that and will correct it.

Thanks for the advice guys!

The spironets added about 400m range and much less breakup than rubber duckies. Best fpv upgrade to fatshark tx system so far. I am getting about 1600m fairly consistently on vTx with the spironets (flying stick p2 rc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

castlemaster said:
I'm running some generic 5.8Ghz cloverleafs on mine with a 32ch 200mW vtx and a black pearl 7" diversity 32ch with a cloverleaf rx as well. I have it pointing out of the back but angled downwards (so a 90 degree bend) and when flying away from me I get over 1.2km out of it, however, if i just rotate the phantom to fly back home I loose signal completely until It gets about 600m.
Thats becuase its out the back move it to be pointing out the side with out the compass

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
castlemaster said:
Thats becuase its out the back move it to be pointing out the side with out the compass
I have mine pointed out to the side-and it does the same thing. Depending on which direction you turn-I always try to turn with the antenna pointed towards me-I still lose RC control, and regain at about 700M.
I have the Futaba RX/TX-with 1 antenna on the front leg, and 1 on the back......

I have taken delivery of a new Phantom 2 with H4-3D gimbal and an FPV set up that uses a mushroom antenna. The antenna was mounted by the dealer in a way that prevents the battery from being removed! It also completely covers the serial number. Am I correct in saying that these antennae should be facing in the vertical plane (neck vertical with mushroom top facing sky/grd) for best overall TX/RX?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers