FPV range issue after Rotorpixel gimbal

Reaction score
I have fpvlr stage 2 installed on my Phantom Vision 2 which used to give me about 3000 ft. range. After I installed Rotorpixel gimbal, my FPV range dropped to 1800 ft. Controller range is also affected, but not as much as FPV range.

Is that normal? Can I overcome this by installing external antennas on the bird (such as fpvlr stage 3 kit)?

Thanks

rotorpixel doesnt speak about fpv per se but their website faq specifically calls out interference with the vision wifi signal so i would imagine that would imply there is potential to interfere with your fpv also? you may have already seen this on their site but just thinking it seems to be an odd thing to have on the faq if they havent had lots of interference situations with it:

IS THE VIDEO TRANSMISSION DISTANCE AFFECTED? IF SO, HOW MUCH?
One of the motors does partially cover one of the antennas inside the FC200 camera, so video transmission distance will be degraded coming from one side of the camera by some amount (proper range tests have not been done yet). However, in many of our tests, we've found that the main transmitter control signal (5.8GHz) is usually lost well before the video signal is lost.
If the live video feed temporarily stalls while within range, all wifi functions will remain in operation (start/stop recording, photos, camera tilt, image review, etc.). By simply pressing the "back" button, then re-entering the camera, the live feed will usually be restarted. (Unless you’re out of range).
Also, we've found that iPhones and iPads are far less prone to video stalls, likely due to a different wifi protocol being used. Stalls are usually automatically rectified using apple products in our tests, but your results may vary.

One of the motors does partially cover one of the antennas inside the FC200 camera

Attachments

• FC200 antennas.jpg
    FC200 antennas.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 658
ciguli said:
cantstandya said:
At certain angles I would lose fpv at 300 feet out after installing the rotorpixel. Adding these http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=78&product_id=71 fixed that problem.

I recently bought the very same antennas. I am not sure though how to install them. Do you connect both antennas to the connectors inside the camera? Or to the wifi module in the bird?
Camera .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-Hb95MMN8

I have 1 on each side . 1 up and 1 down and on opposite end's of bird . Here the bigger one is the 2.4 and is as it looks on back end and other side it's on front skid . This way you can yaw around and never have a blind spot .
tkio2.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers