fpv racing quadcopter controls?

Reaction score
I am fairly decent at flying my phantom 3. I am used to the controls on the joysticks and I've never crashed, etc.

I recently bought a racing quadcopter for fun and this thing is pretty different. Is this normal? Any tips on how I can fly better? I crash a lot.

There is no hovering. When I take off, the racing quadcopter just takes off and goes straight. It's really fast so it's hard to control. I can fly around in circles by using the left joystick to go left/right while moving forward but there's really no time to catch a breath because it's always on the move.

Is it normal for a racing quad to always be moving forward like that or should I be adjusting the trim so that it more or less hovers in one place when you let go of the controls?

I got a cheap drone for practice. It's a eachine falcon 250 and came with a remote...total package was around $220.

I have a headplay that I can use to fly fpv but I'm nowhere near that far yet since i can barely fly this thing.

Any tips on how to practice? With my phantom I basically did figure 8s and stuff like that so I'm just doing the same thing for now.

Last edited:
The Phantoms are designed for stability for aerial photo/video. Because they are so stable they are much easier to fly. They even fly themselves autonomously with waypoints, RTH, follow me, etc... using GPS to stablize the location.

The racing quad you built is basically barebones to decrease weight, drag, and increase speed and performance. The forward facing motors basically guarantee the falcon will ALWAYS be moving forward unless you are holding reverse.

You need to buy something with more features which is more user friendly. The blade qx 200 sounds like it would fit your needs perfectly. Something cheap, easy to fly, and fully featured.

I been flying quads since 2013 iv owned over 10 built 4/5 and finally built a 250 racer and what a big difference than any thing I flew from GPS enabled to your basic kk flight board know im running a cc3d atom fpving from a Phantom to a racer is a big difference but soooo much fun....HAPPY FLYING

Do your motors tilt forward any? I have a Nighthawk 280. It came with tilt mounts, but I have not installed them. You may be able to remove the tilt mounts and mount the motors directly on the arms. I also went from a Phantom 2 Vision + to a racer. You've basically gone from a walker to a F1 car.

I know the feeling! Got competent with my P1 and last year got a Vortex race quad. Instruction manual even compared a Phantom to a Labrador and the Vortex to a pitbull. They weren't kidding!
Get a simulator and practice a ton to get a feel for the flight characteristics. Liftoff is good and so is FPV freerider.
Your skills will come along quickly, I went from full on regretting the purchase to what I'd say is a grade D pilot now. Still, tons of fun learning along the way. I've been using a monitor to fly FPV and it's a lot of fun.
Get the goggles on and just go for it. I can barely keep it in the air line of sight but find it much easier flying FPV.
They are a different breed that's for sure!!

I've been practicing a little bit. The motors are tilted forward. It just shoots forward! It's crazy and fast. There's really no such thing as a hover so I just go in a circling type pattern (similar to an airplane). I have tried to adjust the RC to make it so that it will sort of hover but not sure if I should be doing that.

I do not own one yet but it is on my radar to purchase ;) It has 10% tilt on the motors, which (I've read) you can pretty easily remove and that will calm the bird down a bit. Like others have said, flying racers is actually easier with FPV goggles which makes sense considering the speed. Don't think you should graduate up to using goggles.. LOS is hard with these.

I am fairly decent at flying my phantom 3. I am used to the controls on the joysticks and I've never crashed, etc.

I recently bought a racing quadcopter for fun and this thing is pretty different. Is this normal? Any tips on how I can fly better? I crash a lot.

There is no hovering. When I take off, the racing quadcopter just takes off and goes straight. It's really fast so it's hard to control. I can fly around in circles by using the left joystick to go left/right while moving forward but there's really no time to catch a breath because it's always on the move.

Is it normal for a racing quad to always be moving forward like that or should I be adjusting the trim so that it more or less hovers in one place when you let go of the controls?

I got a cheap drone for practice. It's a eachine falcon 250 and came with a remote...total package was around $220.

I have a headplay that I can use to fly fpv but I'm nowhere near that far yet since i can barely fly this thing.

Any tips on how to practice? With my phantom I basically did figure 8s and stuff like that so I'm just doing the same thing for now.

Yes P3 is totally different than a racing quad. Its designed for photography with a stable cam.
Yes racing quads are designed for continuously move, P4 goes into sport mode too but it can hover too. Its not a true racing quad.
Its easy to fly with and without GPS. Go thru DJI videos and go thru documentation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan