FPV Racer

Reaction score
I've had an itch to try basic FPV racing type flying. Seems like I can scratch that itch and have an awesome portable camera drone to boot. With Collision avoidance and DJI Care Refresh seems like I'm set. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Seems like an expensive first FPV racer. Maybe something like the KINGKONG 260 to start, at 1/10th the price it may be a good intro IF you are just wanting to do FPV. I'm not downplaying the Mavic in any way, it's an amazing machine.

Definitely not going to race it, especially not when someone else is flying. Just wanted to fly fast using screen only and fly under some trees, around some poles etc. Most flying will be aerial photo stuff. Just thought I could a duo purpose device to get some adrenaline flowing.

Reactions: ryantrax
Gotcha, Wonder if the DJI Goggles will be compatible with the P4, P3 and I1

Reactions: symba1
I have been searching all over this forum for something about compatible goggles for the Mavic (FPV). HDMI is not compatible with Mavic, rendering all my P3pro goggles worthless! Is there any information/price on DJI's new goggles that they(DJI) said will work with the Mavic?

Given the compact size of the Mavic and the controller, those DJI goggles look monstrous. I do wish the Mavic controller would have a way to have HDMI out so that we have some other options. I wonder if there will be any 3rd party options built just for the Mavic?

Reactions: symba1
Here is a screen shot from a Facebook post about the DJI Goggles.

5c6aeb77b51dc3a2c55734f1f99d4ef6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I think maybe what you're after is more ...sport flying. And I think that's exactly why they gave it a sport mode. FPV racing is fairly specific (and for people who operate at a faster clock speed than me! phew) and pretty demanding on the pilot, without all the sensor-guided stability of the Mav. It'll be all kinds of fun, but an FPV racer it is not

You guys lamenting the goggles, look into the cardboard-like smartphone headsets and apps (mentioned plenty elsewhere by now)...you get your HMD and head tracking to boot

When aftermarket tablet mounts become available then mounting a tablet to Mavic controller will become a reality. Then one can mount an Nvidia Shield tablet that has an HDMI output and then existing FPV googles can be plugged in. There may be a slight delay doing it this way , but the Nvidia Shield has lots of processing power for a tablet so one would assume that the latency would be very minimal.

Here is a screen shot from a Facebook post about the DJI Goggles.

5c6aeb77b51dc3a2c55734f1f99d4ef6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That's interesting. I thought goggles had direct link to Mavic via OcuSync. To support Phantoms and Inspire, it would also have to support LightBridge or require wired connection to Phantom/Inspire controller.

DJI Goggles has wireless link with the controller , not the Mavic, any short range wifi will work,

DJI Goggles has wireless link with the controller , not the Mavic, any short range wifi will work,
If that's true I would expect an additional video latency delay of about 250ms using standard Wi-Fi, on top of the claimed 130ms of the ocu-sync latency from craft to controller. That would total about 380ms, or over 1/3 second. That's not so good.

"This headset works with what they call OcuSync, allowing the user to receive video directly from the drone, not the controller,"

- slash gear

Reactions: kmaluo
I've had an itch to try basic FPV racing type flying. Seems like I can scratch that itch and have an awesome portable camera drone to boot. With Collision avoidance and DJI Care Refresh seems like I'm set. Thoughts?
I thought Sports mode disabled the Collision avoidance and the Refresh didn't cover damaged caused by flying? I'm not 100% about the Refresh but I know I read that about the Collision avoidance a few places.

I thought Sports mode disabled the Collision avoidance and the Refresh didn't cover damaged caused by flying? I'm not 100% about the Refresh but I know I read that about the Collision avoidance a few places.
Yup. I didn't know back then that Sport mode flies too fast for collision avoidance to work.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie