Fpv phantom filming a hawk

Interesting... what camera are you using for FPV? I'm just learning to use the Predator goggles and find it very difficult to get any detail with the stock Fatshark cam. I don't think I would have been able to spot the hawk on the fence from any distance.

I'm using a go pro hero 3. Picture is really clear and has a timer on the top of the fpv goggle screens that tell you your how long you have been flying.

I've had some birds freak out (Canada geese and crows) if I get too close and do a mock attack. I'm never closer than 15 feet or so, but a nest nearby may make the bird defensive. Be careful with the raptors as they think they're top of the food chain and may attack, injuring themselves and knocking your quad out of the sky as well. That's more bad press we don't need.

Roadkilt said:
I've had some birds freak out (Canada geese and crows) if I get too close and do a mock attack. I'm never closer than 15 feet or so, but a nest nearby may make the bird defensive. Be careful with the raptors as they think they're top of the food chain and may attack, injuring themselves and knocking your quad out of the sky as well. That's more bad press we don't need.

Have you ever actually known of a raptor attacking an RC plane or copter?
I see it as a possibility I suppose, but I tend to think that this is just urban legend?

Having flown RC planes and plenty of buddies who fly RC gliders, I've heard of hawks flying alongside planes and gliders sort of checking them out, but never any accounts of them being aggressive, just curious.

I certainly don't advocate chasing raptors with any RC flyer, or chasing deer in a field either.
But you're right, a Phantom's blades could do a lot of damage to raptor.
It seems a lot of people believe that the blades are harmless, but I've seen photos of two people with nasty head laceration caused by their quadcopters.

It seems all kinds of birds will attack r/c planes and heli's . There are dozens of videos on youtube.
It seems their prehistoric little bird brains aren't able to determine that the thing invading their territory means them
no ill will. ;)

Audaciter said:
It seems all kinds of birds will attack r/c planes and heli's . There are dozens of videos on youtube.
It seems their prehistoric little bird brains aren't able to determine that the thing invading their territory means them
no ill will. ;)

LOL! Wow I had no idea it happened, but it seems pretty common judging by the number of videos!

I guess my buddies and I have been lucky or else we haven't flown around territorial nesting birds.

FYI, yesterday I was catching my Phantom in the air as I usually do and managed to get my thumb into the stock prop as it was spinning down. No cut flesh but hurt like a bugger. Carbon fibre or wood may have done more damage, but a good lesson for me to be careful.

FYI, yesterday I was catching my Phantom in the air as I usually do and managed to get my thumb into the stock prop as it was spinning down. No cut flesh but hurt like a bugger. Carbon fibre or wood may have done more damage, but a good lesson for me to be careful.

I've only caught mine once, because the terrain was kind of rocky, but I use carbon fiber props, and the thought of missing, or
having it hit my ugly mug, keep me from practicing that regularly. ;)

It would be fun as can be, to chase jack rabbits around while doing fpv. Or buzz the ground squirrels. No Honey Badger's
though, cause the Honey Badger don't give a sh!t.. :?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31