FPV. On 7 inch tablet. What works best

Reaction score
So first off I will state I have an iPhone and ipad air. But I am thinking of getting a 7 inch tablet just for FPV. For the vision.

Thought of an ipad mini but they are costly just for fpv. So was thinking of a much less expensive android device

So which android device works best. And what should I stay away from

Thanks
Tim

Like anything, you get what you pay for. An iPad Mini is expensive because it uses very high quality components. That said, you can get many Android devices with comparable quality, for a lower price generally.

I don't know that one quality Android device is "better" for FPV than another. ANY tablet will be difficult to see in bright sunlight, even with a sunshade. I say this with experience as a videographer. I've shot with and used 7 & 10 in Marshalls monitors worth thousands of dollars each, and you simply can't see them well in sunlight. For camera work, you use a shielded eyepiece to get a properly saturated image to film. With FPV, goggles will give you a better image than a monitor.

That said, if you want to use a monitor, look at the price. If you're buying a 7in. monitor for $100., don't expect much. If you buy a $300 device....

you get the idea...

agree I am a wedding / portrait and concert photographer with Canon 5D MkII, MKIII and a 1D x and a whack of L Lenses so yea I know the price reflects what you get

I am not necessarily looking at price but think it a waste of an iPad to just sit in the box when not flying.... (wife won't use it) so was thinking of a samsung 7inch Tablet 3 staples has them on sale for $149.00 and with boxing day coming up may be cheaper

I didn't want to "name names" and steer you to something you were really against owning...some people (me?) are like that with things like Sony, etc.
I think you'd be hard pressed to get a better device than the Samsung, and that sounds like a great price

I would love to have an ipad mini but sadly to relegate the mini to just be the FPV screen is a waste of the device. And for the price the Samsung while still a waste of the device is a cheaper waste

I guess what I am getting at are there tablets to avoid

There are a lot of potential out there like acre, Lenovo, Samsung, Apple, hp, and off brands

I think the guy who said they are all bad in direct or even shaded sunlight is right. And the guy who doesn't want to steer people to something they don't want is also right. I use a kindle fire, 49$, but I wouldn't recommend it. It works excellent, but you have to do some hacking to get it to take the google playstore, which is where you get the dji app. And quite frankly, these things are laden with enough tech crap, that you don't need to add anything extra, like hacking a fire to get it to work.

My neutab G7 is great "just for FPV" but it doesn't have a compass. Be wary of monitors that boast GPS capability because it doesn't necessarily mean the device includes a compass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan