FPV Newbie

Reaction score
Hi All,
So over the last few days I have used this board and the advice from you all to try work out the best setup for me. I am finding that using all of your experience is helping me for what is ultimately, a pretty substantial purchase for me- I also don't want to buy something and then find I made a big mistake!

I am an archaeologist who needs to shoot vertically downwards without fisheye. My current plan is to go a Phantom 2 with my go pro 3(for pretty video) then to swap over to a custom mount with my Canon S110 for verticle shots downwards.

The more I read here, the more I think I need to get FPV in order to frame everything nicely. I don't need a transmitter that can go 1000's of feet. I am just after something relatively cheap- even second hand. I don't really need flight information ie height, but if it has it I won't turn my nose at it.

Both the Gopro 3 Black and the S110 have a mini-usb output.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for both a good/simple transmitter and a simple monitor?

Thanks in advance

This kit has most everything you'll need: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2066

You'll just need to get a power lead from inside the Phantom to power the transmitter.

Other places have similar all-in-one bundles for basic FPV, that one just seems to be the easiest and best value, though you could buy it part-by-part if you want to shave every penny. I bought and use that one, and it's a breeze.

OI Photography said:
This kit has most everything you'll need: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2066

You'll just need to get a power lead from inside the Phantom to power the transmitter.

Other places have similar all-in-one bundles for basic FPV, that one just seems to be the easiest and best value, though you could buy it part-by-part if you want to shave every penny. I bought and use that one, and it's a breeze.

Fantastic! OI you have been of so much use with this entire project!!! I imagine getting the power lead is simple....

Now I just need to go buy the **** thing!

Always glad to help out, especially for someone who's putting the Phantom to such good use!

Come to think of it, the P2 does have an available power lead already for this purpose...it'll be the 4-strand colored wire coming out of the Phantom. You'll use the red (power) and one of the brown (ground) leads on that wire, connect them straight to the power and ground leads on the video transmitter. The other cable in that kit I showed you connects straight from the gopro to the transmitter, and that's all you have to do on the aircraft side...the rest is just the ground-side setup.

I am a little bummed out about it as I was hoping to hire my services out here in Aus, but ends up you need a professional licence through our aviation departments which costs thousands.

I should still be able to use them in Greece though or perhaps offer my services for free.

But I am so excited to try it out. Might buy one on Friday/Saturday this week, won't have the FPV but atleast will allow me to start flying. Also great because I will be visiting my parents who live in the country so I have nice open areas to work in.

As for the FPV, I have never done any soldering or anything before so hopefully connections shouldn't be too hard(if that is needed), but very excited to try start creating custom mounts etc for using my other camera and just seeing how well it stacks up against kite flying.
thanks so much once again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20