FPV newbie question

Interesting we have very similar setups, I chose the most popular and most highly regarded stuff and so did you ;) . I'm a long way from recommending any tips - I'm looking for some myself! I do however think the advantage for keeping orientation when the drone dot is too small to see is to understand the OSD - I will be studying that quite a bit before the next FPV flight.

Here's a couple of pix, I still need to figure out where to place my GPS tracker puck.

Attachments

• ManMachine.jpg
    ManMachine.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 458
  • FPVsetup.jpg
    FPVsetup.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 465
  • Hero4Mod.jpg
    Hero4Mod.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 461
St. George is beautiful, isn't it? My brother retired there a few years ago. I hope you are visiting the nearby National Parks while you are there.

What's the GPS tracker puck that you speak of John?

I'm assuming it's a small device that lets you locate a lost runaway with GPS on your smartphone or suchlike? I was thinking about adding one myself but someone suggested to me not to bother as you can locate the phantom with some sort of inclusive 'find my drone' function. I haven't looked it up yet to see if this was real or nonsense though!!

Saint George is gorgeous! We were here for a 4x4 off-road event.

MrJoshua said:
What's the GPS tracker puck that you speak of John?..
It's a Drone Mods UAV Locator, couple of hundred bucks for the hardware and a year of cell subscription.

MrJoshua said:
I was thinking about trying one of these things to see if it would do the job:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281459152788? ... 1436.l2649
That ships directly from China :shock: - it could be ugly if it didn't work. Other than that - it looks like it would do the job. I like the Drone Mods UAV Locator since it's shipped to you already setup and ready to fly after charging the battery.

The iOSD Mini is mounted inside the fuselage - there are several YouTube videos about setting up a P2 for FPV, so watch two or three. Forgot which one I watched.

Have mine mounted right inside on the board. Moved the Can-Bus inside as well.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416678352347.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416678352347.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 374
Ah - yes, that's where mine is mounted. I used Velcro to attach it.

tgreenstone said:
Have mine mounted right inside on the board. Moved the Can-Bus inside as well.
Put mine in the front in case I want to add a tracking device later

Anyone have a good GPS or tracking device on their Phantom?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416683261523.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416683261523.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 385
johncanfield said:
All-righty, FPV stuff just ordered:

- Black Pearl receiver
- DJI iOSD mini
- ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8Ghz transmitter
- Plug 'n play cable from iOSD to transmitter
- Rave monitor mount
- IBCrazy 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set

Receiver, iOSD mini, cable ordered from Amazon
Transmitter, antennas ordered from getfpv.com
Rave monitor mount ordered from extremeuas.com

Great thread, thanks guys. Unless someone has a valid reason for me to get anything else than what johncanfield got, I'm ordering the same setup for my P2 H3-3D Hero3+. What's the range?

I'm still taking baby steps so I have no idea about the range but I don't anticipate my requirements will need any long range flight.

I was able to get 700ft straight up before the feed started to break. Haven't had a chance for a distance away from home reading

I am thinking to copy your set up in this way?

I am going a bit cheaper,

I am looking for advice i dont know much about the FPV so i could make big mistakes

I POST THE LINKS TO WHAT I THINK TO BUY so ypu see also the prices,
if you think something is wrong or fake please let me know.

I HAVE:
PHANTOM 2 -HD 3D - GOPRO BLACK

I WANT TO BUY: :geek: :geek: :geek:
antenna:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Boscam-5 ... 88295.html
screen:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-NEW ... 40538.html
mount:
http://www.raveaerialvideo.com/product/ ... tor-mount/
transmitter:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 00mw_.html
cable:
https://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/ ... ransmitter

fredrikbergstrom said:
johncanfield said:
All-righty, FPV stuff just ordered:

- Black Pearl receiver
- DJI iOSD mini
- ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8Ghz transmitter
- Plug 'n play cable from iOSD to transmitter
- Rave monitor mount
- IBCrazy 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set

Receiver, iOSD mini, cable ordered from Amazon
Transmitter, antennas ordered from getfpv.com
Rave monitor mount ordered from extremeuas.com

Great thread, thanks guys. Unless someone has a valid reason for me to get anything else than what johncanfield got, I'm ordering the same setup for my P2 H3-3D Hero3+. What's the range?

Also a newbie here, I've been loving my Phantom 2 + Hero4 Black but now that I've just started diving into some action shots (ie. surfing) I'm really feeling a need for FPV. It seems like this FPV setup you guys have is pretty sweet, is there any soldering involved at all? I've never soldered anything and have no equipment for it. Any advice? Thanks.

jct133 said:
Also a newbie here, I've been loving my Phantom 2 + Hero4 Black but now that I've just started diving into some action shots (ie. surfing) I'm really feeling a need for FPV. It seems like this FPV setup you guys have is pretty sweet, is there any soldering involved at all? I've never soldered anything and have no equipment for it. Any advice? Thanks.
If you buy the "plug and play cable" then no soldering is necessary. This cable interfaces the iOSD Mini to the video feed transmitter.

If you buy the "plug and play cable" then no soldering is necessary. This cable interfaces the iOSD Mini to the video feed transmitter.

Thanks for the advice John, I meant to respond earlier. Thanks again for the tips, so happy to finally be getting the FPV setup running. All the pieces have been ordered.

As far as installation, I noticed your advice on youtube tutorials for the IOSD mini, is there any other tips you have or things I should know throughout the process? I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4