FPV Mystery Solved - No Soldering!!

Reaction score
After 2 1/2 months of reading, not understanding, asking dumb questions I completed it.

Phantom 2
Zen muse Gimbal
Avl58 dJI 5.8 (this relays video signal)
Mini iosd (for onscreen display of info of phantom like battery strength)

The FPV Hub tied it all together. No welding, wire stripping, soldering, open heart surgery or heat shrink wrapping!!??

I bought the lilliput w moniter matching the avl58 frequencies. Built in receiver but used the AVL clover leaf antenna. You will need a sony or canon camera battery to power the monitor but eliminates using lippo rc batteries.

Here is my last brain fart. I bought a gopro phantom cable. I was baffled how it plugged in. The zen muse cable is all that is needed it gets video feed that way. You do not need it. LOL

Now I need to zip tie and double tape it down.

Victory!
u6etyte3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool!

Gots any pics of the hub and cable routing in the beast?

Range test Yet? ( I'm looking at doing the very same thing... )

Cost and place of purchase for the hub/monitor?

...Thanks!!

The wiring is idiot proof. If it fits plug it in.

No range test yet.

I bought the fpv hub on ebay but looked a few times and they are out everywhere. I think I spent $14.

As far as the monitor I spent $300 ... Expensive but did not need any rc batteries or chargers. The receiver built in so very light and no extra cords dangling. It is heavily talked about here for being high quality. Just make sure you buy one with matching frequencies to avl58.

Way easier than I thought other then the stress of understanding everything and the fear of buying the wrong thing.

brianweis said:
The wiring is idiot proof. If it fits plug it in.

No range test yet.

I bought the fpv hub on ebay but looked a few times and they are out everywhere. I think I spent $14.

As far as the monitor I spent $300 ... Expensive but did not need any rc batteries or chargers. The receiver built in so very light and no extra cords dangling. It is heavily talked about here for being high quality. Just make sure you buy one with matching frequencies to avl58.

Way easier than I thought other then the stress of understanding everything and the fear of buying the wrong thing.

Exactly!

And to clarify, the US AVL58 freqs are the "0" or the "5'" ones?

Edit: I figured out the freqs.

Thanks again...

I just spoke to someone at Viviteq, re., the Lilliput monitors. He indicated that the "correct" one works ok in the office, but not well in the field. They are in touch with DJI about it....

So. Hopefully, yours will work in the field OK! Please let us know!

...sk

fpv_hub1.JPG

This is my setup, but I haven't tried it as I got the gimbal sent to me with a nicked ribbon. my questions is do i need to supply power to the iOSD Mark II? if so, How? am i and idiot for getting the mark II? the guys at dslr pros said that was the one to get...far better than the iosd mini - ie more info. thanks for ANY help.

Brian, I wish i had done what you did, and kept it simple.

http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-32ch-fpv-av-600mw-transmitter-receiver.html
Here is my Tx and Rx for Video

http://www.getfpv.com/ibcrazy-5-8-ghz-bluebeam-ultra-antenna-set.html
Antennas

Guess what???? After going through all the trouble of installing the FPV using the DJI Hub, today, I took it all apart and installed everything inside (except the AVL58) inside without using the Hub. The installation is so much cleaner with no wires or other hardware outside (except the AVL58). Only two wires outside. The black wire to the AVL58 and the flat ribbon to the gimbal.

Now I am happy.

Excellent! No soldering?

Photos if/when you can...

uvajuzen.jpg

This is not the cleanest job. I am going to redo with stronger tape.

The main wire coming from phantom that plugs into the gimbal now goes into hub. A wire goes from hub to gimbal. A wire goes from hub to avl58. A wire goes from the hub to the mini iosd.

I flew today and the mount for the controller did not fit the monitor. Bought from rave creative on this board. I need to trim it a tad. I mounted on a tripod. It was way too wind and nerve racking looking at monitor than in the air.

The gopro gets power and connected for video transmission to avl58 through the gimbal.

I do not think I will ever fly with it not in sight.

My goal is to take aerial photos/videos of golf courses. Fun times!

Yes my AVL is on crooked. It fell off and just stuck it on. Going to get Velcro. I will be mounting it with a 90 bend to point down. Ordered fpv elbow part on eBay.

skeeter said:
Excellent! No soldering?

Yes, when I removed the Hub, I had to solder the wires. Piece of cake. Everything fits inside, except the transmitter. All it shows outside is the gimbal cable and the wire to the Vtx. Even the CanBus is inside. Looks so much cleaner now. I did not like all the lose wires from the Hub. The problem with the Hub is that you end up using four additional cables and connectors, than if you connect directly.

rmklaw said:
skeeter said:
Excellent! No soldering?

Yes, when I removed the Hub, I had to solder the wires. Piece of cake. Everything fits inside, except the transmitter. All it shows outside is the gimbal cable and the wire to the Vtx. Even the CanBus is inside. Looks so much cleaner now. I did not like all the lose wires from the Hub. The problem with the Hub is that you end up using four additional cables and connectors, than if you connect directly.

Thanks, Richard! I just got my hub today.....grrrrr :cry: :cry: I reckon I'll start with the hub, then, eventually get fed up with the wires and hey! Where have I heard this before...?

skeeter said:
rmklaw said:
skeeter said:
Excellent! No soldering?

Thanks, Richard! I just got my hub today.....grrrrr :cry: :cry: I reckon I'll start with the hub, then, eventually get fed up with the wires and hey! Where have I heard this before...?

Don't mind me. The Hub is a great concept. I just got frustrated with all the jumper flat cables. If at least, DJI would have made the ribbon cables longer, then you could install the Hub and iOSD inside. As it is, I was able to not only put everything inside (except AVL58) but also remove the Can Bus and connector to the inside. Clean look outside.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic