FPV monitor for Phantom 2

Yep
That's the one.

I've used it a lot over the last few days and I haven't had it go blue screen on me
Can't say if won't, but I've been flying 160 m up and 460m away and it's been fine.

These are all exactly the same "junk" 7" monitor screens. They are all TN panels, all have 450cm2 brightness(500:1).....

What you really want to find is an IPS monitor. I've only seen the Lilliput? for over $300. IPS monitor will give you a much wider field of view, and even if the brightness rating is the same, has more pixel density and better glare resistance, so it will appear brighter.

There is no substitute for good FPV. If you can't see where you are going, or which direction the camera is pointing-or you find your nose resting on the screen-you're going to have issues.

I totally agree
I also have a Lilliput on order, but I must be honest
I've been flying fpv with this cheapo one with built in rx and battery
For about 20 flights now, and it's been fine.

Mr Mufakka said:
Yes!! Please more information about mating the Nexus 7 and P2! I think it would make an awesome monitor.

Edit: It appears you have a P2V. That would explain how you are able to use it.

I also have a Nexus 7 and have used it for FPV, but only by connecting to the GoPro via wifi and using the GoPro app, which is a few seconds delayed. The delay makes it completely unusable for true FPV, but for framing shots, etc, it is better than nothing if you are within range. Other than this, I don't think there is a way to actually input video into the Nexus 7 to use as a monitor.

neil64 said:
Mr Mufakka said:
Yes!! Please more information about mating the Nexus 7 and P2! I think it would make an awesome monitor.

Edit: It appears you have a P2V. That would explain how you are able to use it.

I also have a Nexus 7 and have used it for FPV, but only by connecting to the GoPro via wifi and using the GoPro app, which is a few seconds delayed. The delay makes it completely unusable for true FPV, but for framing shots, etc, it is better than nothing if you are within range. Other than this, I don't think there is a way to actually input video into the Nexus 7 to use as a monitor.

I'm quite new to the Phantoms but one thing I remember seeing somewhere is that you should NEVER fly with the wifi on the GoPro active. Could cause flyway. Again, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere. Something you might want to look into.]

Also, there is some part of the Phantom 2 Vision that allows it to use the Android app and inturn, a Nexus. Just need to find out what part that is.

Mr Mufakka said:
I'm quite new to the Phantoms but one thing I remember seeing somewhere is that you should NEVER fly with the wifi on the GoPro active. Could cause flyway. Again, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere. Something you might want to look into.]

Also, there is some part of the Phantom 2 Vision that allows it to use the Android app and inturn, a Nexus. Just need to find out what part that is.

The reason it's bad to use wifi (any wifi, not just GoPro) with the Phantom(2) is because wifi frequencies overlap the same frequencies of the transmitter/receiver (2.4 GHz). If the receiver in the Phantom is getting a readable signal, it will respond, period. Regardless of the signal source, whether it be a valid signal from the transmitter or some type of interference. With the massive amount of wireless routers around, as well as many other wireless devices, it is no wonder people have so much interference sometimes. This doesn't apply as much to the Phantom 2 Vision because it operates on 5.8 GHz, and only uses 2.4GHz (same as wifi) for video transmitting. The PV2 uses a wifi repeater/extender to relay the signal for range. And yes, the Nexus 7 would make a great FPV monitor device with the P2V, but it is still using the same wifi method as using the GoPro app.

havasuphoto said:
These are all exactly the same "junk" 7" monitor screens. They are all TN panels, all have 450cm2 brightness(500:1).....

What you really want to find is an IPS monitor. I've only seen the Lilliput? for over $300. IPS monitor will give you a much wider field of view, and even if the brightness rating is the same, has more pixel density and better glare resistance, so it will appear brighter.

There is no substitute for good FPV. If you can't see where you are going, or which direction the camera is pointing-or you find your nose resting on the screen-you're going to have issues.

Liliput designed a new monitor (specially for FPV users) with the same good specifications (high brightness, high resolution, battery, ...) AND with 5.8Gh receiver.

Link: http://www.lilliputdirect.com/Lilliput-664-W?search=FPV

If you upgrade this kit with some omnidirectional antennas, good transmitter, you'll get a good reception/quality for FPV.
What transmitters you guys can suggest?

creative86 said:
havasuphoto said:

Liliput designed a new monitor (specially for FPV users) with the same good specifications (high brightness, high resolution, battery, ...) AND with 5.8Gh receiver.

Link: http://www.lilliputdirect.com/Lilliput-664-W?search=FPV

If you upgrade this kit with some omnidirectional antennas, good transmitter, you'll get a good reception/quality for FPV.
What transmitters you guys can suggest?
I am familiar with that one; we were just talking about it. That screen is an IPS screen, which is way better than any TN panel. So, even though the specs make look the same-trust me, it's a much better screen.
I use the Boscam 600mw TX....but all the ones that say they broadcast at 600mw, really only broadcast at maybe half that.
Get some good cloverleaf antenna's, and remember; sometimes the TX is RP-SMA and the receiver/monitor is SMA.
Learned that lesson the hard way.

I have 2 Spironet Antenna's; both are SMA. Well, I can only use 1 right now, on my receiver-because my Transmitter takes the RP-SMA connector. Adapter is on the way.

I really like the All-In-One screens, very easy to use and no wires. Also found this product: http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one ... eluxe.html but the specs are not that good as the Liliput.

About the transmitter; do you know if the 600mw is enough for transmitting video in comparison with the maximum range of the Phantom 2? I personally don't care if the range is more than the range my Phantom can fly. I want to find the right balance between a good reception due the maximum range and a minimal use of the battery. You can always put a strong transmitter at your Phantom (Boscam 1000mw, Boscom Thunderbold 2000mw) but I think that this is eating your battery, that also reduce your fly-time.

Do you think that the 600mw with omnidirectional antennas on receiver and transmitter will do the job? What can you recommended (link)?

Is there also a difference between receivers (in terms of reception), or is the power of the transmitter more important?

My first steps into FPV, so thanks for the reply ;-)

Geoffrey

I have that exact monitor, and it's Junk compared to the other monitor, because it has a TN screen, not IPS.

I also just started using the Fatshark Base goggles, connected to that monitor. They work OK......

I also have the Boscam 600mw transmitter. All the Chinese transmitter are way over-rated. I'm thinking mine only transmits maybe 400mw, if I'm lucky.

I use Circular Polarizing Antenna's, and Today was the furthest I've flow and retained a relatively clear signal-447 meters at about 60 meters up(completely flat ground-no tree's). I also made another flight, that was 95 meters up, and at 345 meters, during my 180 degree turn to come back, saw some snow in the signal.
So, IMHO, you're going to be hard pressed to get "good" signal much past around 500 meters.

I'm not aware of the 1000 or 2000 mw transmitters-care to share a link?

OH, 1 more thing; the Boscam/Heli-World Eagle-eye Transmitter that I have, has an antenna connector that is RP-SMA(reverse polarity). While the monitor I have(in the link you posted), only accepts SMA connectors. So, keep that in mind; as most Antenna's are sold as a set, and are either SMA, or RP-SMA. So, while I have the new Fatshark Cloverleaf Antenna's-both are SMA. So, I'm not able to use 1 of the antenna's on my transmitter yet, until I receive an adapter. I do have 1 Fatshark and 1 circular polarizing antenna on the receiver though, and that works well.

Heli-world has a Cloverleaf antenna set just for the Boscam 600 TX-that has 1 antenna that is SMA(receiver), and 1 antenna that is RP-SMA(Transmitter), and that is what I'm using.

havasuphoto said:
I'm not aware of the 1000 or 2000 mw transmitters-care to share a link?

Heli-world has a Cloverleaf antenna set just for the Boscam 600 TX-that has 1 antenna that is SMA(receiver), and 1 antenna that is RP-SMA(Transmitter), and that is what I'm using.

So now you only use a circulair polarizing antenna at your transmitter?
Let me know what the results are if you also have your polarizing antenna at your receiver. I think this will work a lot better!
What is the maximum range of the Phantom 2, I thought 1km?

Where do you get your power for the transmitter, did you connect it to the Phantoms battery?
I had seen a cablefix in place of the original video/power cable from the Phantom for video from the Zenmuse Gimbal and power from the main board to a FPV transmitter. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOCTqyJPfH8

Link to the other transmitters, but I think due the power (1000mw, 2000mw) this will drain your battery a lot...???
http://www.dronesvision.net/en/wireless ... itter.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2004738

I would tend to stay away from the higher powered transmitters. You just don't need it-it going to consume a lot more power, and create heat(remember-you have to mount these outside the shell!!).
Save your money and buy the $69 600mw Boscam or whatever, and call it good. Getting good video reception is a bit of luck and science.
On one flight-you may go lower, and farther out, and get better video signal, than if you went a shorter distance, but higher.....go figure?
As for Antenna's-I've gone with the Circular Polarizing as they seem to work the best. They're all about the same really. Also-when you start to lose video signal, it's probably a good idea to start returning to base. The last thing you want to do is fly out of range of your transmitter.
They say they're good to XXX meters, or whatever....but, in my experience-if I can't see my Phantom with my own eye's, it's too far away. There is no reason to go beyond visual range with these aircraft. You're just taking way too many risks. And, if you're relying on flying be reference to FPV, and it goes out-then what is your plan? You'll need one.

As for how to hook everything up-I'm not the one to ask. I paid to have my Phantom 1.0 configured.

havasuphoto said:
There is no reason to go beyond visual range with these aircraft. You're just taking way too many risks. And, if you're relying on flying be reference to FPV, and it goes out-then what is your plan? You'll need one.

That is true. I also want a visual of my Phantom.
I do aerial video's and FPV can help me to see my camera position...

Thanks for the tips, I will look for the Boscam transmitter and the polarizing antenna's.

creative86 said:
havasuphoto said:
There is no reason to go beyond visual range with these aircraft. You're just taking way too many risks. And, if you're relying on flying be reference to FPV, and it goes out-then what is your plan? You'll need one.

That is true. I also want a visual of my Phantom.
I do aerial video's and FPV can help me to see my camera position...

Thanks for the tips, I will look for the Boscam transmitter and the polarizing antenna's.
That's what I do too. You're just not going to get more than a Standard Definition video signal, regardless of what you use.
Also look into adding the iOSD Mini-so you can have an overlay on your video to give you all kinds of important information. I use the center "chevron" or artificial horizon, to line up my shots....

havasuphoto said:
Also look into adding the iOSD Mini-so you can have an overlay on your video to give you all kinds of important information. I use the center "chevron" or artificial horizon, to line up my shots....

Thanks for the tip!
I think I will go for the Liliput in combination with a Boscam 600mw receiver. Then I can change the antennas at transmitter and receiver. I think this will do the job to put my aerials to a higher level...
I will look for the mini-iosd.

Do you also have a link?

Thanks!

creative86 said:
havasuphoto said:

Thanks for the tip!
I think I will go for the Liliput in combination with a Boscam 600mw receiver. Then I can change the antennas at transmitter and receiver. I think this will do the job to put my aerials to a higher level...
I will look for the mini-iosd.

Do you also have a link?

Thanks!
Yes, that's the antenna's I'm using...don't have a link. But, I also have 1 Fatshark antenna on my receiver as well. Just waiting for the RP-SMA to SMA adapter I ordered before placing the other one on the Phantom.
The one's from heli-world work OK, and they're only $25. So that's a good choice.
But-once you get past about 400 meters, they start to show "snow", especially if the antenna on the aircraft is pointed away from you. Simple fix-back up. If you go out that far, turn and lose video-keep turning(slowly)until you regain video, turn on "home lock", pull back on the stick, and you'll have video all the way back in.

Like I said-you must have a "plan" for when you lose video signal.

After a lot of research I ordered a Feelworld fpv monitor. It's in the same league as Lilliput but less expensive. Read reviews on photography sites and most were impressed. I decided on the 10 inch as it don't intend to mount it on the tx. I will either tripod mount or as I saw on dji guys, make a ground station out of my Ali carry case. Mount the screen on the inside of the hinged lid. Battery will slip into one of the cut outs and clip the rx on the top of the lid when open. Probably going with Boscam 600, clover antennas and iosd mini.
Monitor link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1106267393

Flying fox said:
After a lot of research I ordered a Feelworld fpv monitor. It's in the same league as Lilliput but less expensive. Read reviews on photography sites and most were impressed. I decided on the 10 inch as it don't intend to mount it on the tx. I will either tripod mount or as I saw on dji guys, make a ground station out of my Ali carry case. Mount the screen on the inside of the hinged lid. Battery will slip into one of the cut outs and clip the rx on the top of the lid when open. Probably going with Boscam 600, clover antennas and iosd mini.
Monitor link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1106267393

Did you note the it's only has 200cd/m2 brightness? It's not gonna be easy to see when outside

Looks like it's relying on this to some degree, quote"• High brightness, contrast ratio & Dizzy-proof monitor with sun shade, to see clearly under sunshine"
Not sure what Dizzy-proof is but hope it works.The main intended use is sighting the camera as opposed to full on fpv flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31