FPV lag; tablet operating temps

I flew this afternoon, 104° degrees. iPad Air 2, no cover, no problems. About 30 minutes flight time between 2 batteries. I was standing in the shade, but it was still 104° degrees.

Reactions: Oso
From the various responses, it sounds as if the larger iPads have more tolerance for operating outside of their published operating temperatures than do the mini iPads. Both max at a 95F per spec, but there is clearly more buffer in the Air 2.

I guess that's not very surprising considering how packed the components must be in the smaller sizes. Plus of course the Air 2 has more processing power and twice the RAM.

When I got my Phantom 3 Pro I updated the firmware to 1.1.9 before first flight. FPV lag was horrible. It was really unsafe to fly using FPV.

However I keep experimenting and discovered that with Hardware Encode ON and by selecting the HD transmision channel in manual. I got crystal clear smooth FPV. Lag free.

I use an Ipad Air Wifi+Cellular, no sun hood, just the Ipad naked on the Remote controller cradle.
I fly in Spain, last flight I have made was with 36ºC/ 97ºF OAT and was really smooth and nice FPV image.

I have video cache activated. Flying in P-GPS with full GPS coverage.
I have all other App shut down. Running just DJI Pilot App and the Ipad in Airplane Mode.
Some people reported that having "selected" the video option instead the camera helps. I have not been able to check this myself but I usually fly with Video mode preselected.
My Ipad is pretty hot after 20 minutes flight time but so far it is working good with no lag. Maybe it is important that before flying your Ipad is not being exposed to the sun for long time or to high temperature before flying.
I can surely undertand the people is fustrated by this issue and I hope DJI can find a permanent solution.
The reason of this post is to tell the IOS users that if you experience the lag issue, you may have an option to fix it. Try the points I suggest. It may work for you. :)

For the people that cannot make it work, just a suggestion. Do not fly using the FPV as flying reference. Keep your Phantom close and use visual references to fly. Hopefully DJI would get an answer for this problem soon.
On the DJI forums I see people that complain that they have terrible FPV lag but besides that they go and fly their Phantom with FPV, then they crash and pretend DJI covers it.
If you have an FPV problem either fly it carefully close to you with visual references or do not fly it until the issue is fixed.
For me this is like discovering my car has a known brake malfunction and despite knowing this I go and drive at full speed on the highway and if I have an accident blame the car manufacturer.

Reactions: Tom Donnelly
I accidentally started a new thread and someone pointed me to this one. I'm in the Dallas Texas area. I just flew in the low 90's with my iPhone 6+. I had the phone lock up during flight and then when I got the drone back and tried another flight it locked up again. I'm guessing it's an overheating issue too. It's a combination of the ambient temperature and the fact that while tethered to the controller it gets real hot. I've seen an overheated error on another iPhone that wouldn't work at all until cooled down. Mine didn't give the error, but I've never had my phone crash before, especially twice in a row. I may try soon with my iPad Mini, but I will fly carefully as when the phone or iPad crashes, it locks up completely and takes a while to reboot. In the meantime, you're flying without any guidance which means you have to have line of sight.

Before the lockup, and actually before I started flying, I had the video cutting in and out. By rights, the phone shouldn't have been that hot, but if it's like the iPad, then I can see that it might have reached 95 degrees quickly. When I studied the video I took flying, the video quit working 33 seconds into a 6 minute flight. I was about 4 minutes into the flight when I realized the phone had crashed. I was flying by the map and saw that the drone wasn't moving, but I could hear it getting closer. The second time it crashed within about 10 seconds of flying.

I'm now looking at probably having to fly purely line of sight until October in this area. It just stays real hot and only cools to the 80's. I'm sure the sunshades don't help with cooling since it blocks off most of the airflow. I'm trying to think of a solution and I hope there are some ideas out there.

I had the same issue yesterday. It was 95 degrees on the beach. My iPad gave me a temperature warning and shut down. I did not like not having a visual. I had to switch to my iPhone and had no problems with it.

Today was a bit cooler and I chilled my iPhone with an ice pack. It worked perfectly, but the main thing is that it was overcast and maybe 10 degrees cooler. I'm going to be gun shy about flying beyond line of sight for the rest of the summer. To be honest we haven't been close to hitting the normal Texas heat. I also turned off most of my location services and made sure the DJI app was the only one running. The phone did feel much cooler after I was done flying so we'll have to see how it goes. I made a comment on another post that they should start keeping a record of all of these little idiosyncrasies because there's nothing in the manual and it seems like you have to do a lot extra to be able to fly with no problems. Still love this a million times more than my FC40 though!

Reactions: skyhighdiver
When I got my Phantom 3 Pro I updated the firmware to 1.1.9 before first flight. FPV lag was horrible. It was really unsafe to fly using FPV.

However I keep experimenting and discovered that with Hardware Encode ON and by selecting the HD transmision channel in manual. I got crystal clear smooth FPV. Lag free.

I use an Ipad Air Wifi+Cellular, no sun hood, just the Ipad naked on the Remote controller cradle.
I fly in Spain, last flight I have made was with 36ºC/ 97ºF OAT and was really smooth and nice FPV image.

I have video cache activated. Flying in P-GPS with full GPS coverage.
I have all other App shut down. Running just DJI Pilot App and the Ipad in Airplane Mode.
Some people reported that having "selected" the video option instead the camera helps. I have not been able to check this myself but I usually fly with Video mode preselected.
My Ipad is pretty hot after 20 minutes flight time but so far it is working good with no lag. Maybe it is important that before flying your Ipad is not being exposed to the sun for long time or to high temperature before flying.
I can surely undertand the people is fustrated by this issue and I hope DJI can find a permanent solution.
The reason of this post is to tell the IOS users that if you experience the lag issue, you may have an option to fix it. Try the points I suggest. It may work for you. :)

For the people that cannot make it work, just a suggestion. Do not fly using the FPV as flying reference. Keep your Phantom close and use visual references to fly. Hopefully DJI would get an answer for this problem soon.
On the DJI forums I see people that complain that they have terrible FPV lag but besides that they go and fly their Phantom with FPV, then they crash and pretend DJI covers it.
If you have an FPV problem either fly it carefully close to you with visual references or do not fly it until the issue is fixed.
For me this is like discovering my car has a known brake malfunction and despite knowing this I go and drive at full speed on the highway and if I have an accident blame the car manufacturer.

What you say is true I have a ipad air and a iPhone6+ as at lake Mid day temps 85 or so using Ipad It went dead so while charging I used Iphone 6+ could not keep video even 15ft away tried all the fixes no go. pulled ipad out (10% charged just to check) and all worked perfect went back to phone nothing grrr
Now I did just go to 1.1.9 and can say never had the issue before and Im writing this 2 days later so tried again both devices in house 75 deg. Still crap on phone hmmmmmm

I Had this today and that's why im checking you post
95 here and very bad lag no way I could fly it without actual sight of it. I am usinga Ipad air and then fired up the Iphone 6+ and within a few minutes had the same issue.
I Was hoping is was just interference from wifi boosters in area as its a large waterpark with free wifi
But when I got home I fly a flight with each device and still have issue this sucks
I never had problem with feed on my PV2 when in high summer temps:(:(
I tried everything closed airplane mode nothing helps My only hope is the ipad air 2 will be ok as Im due for a upgrade

update temps down to 84 no more lag on flights from home but lost connection 2 times in 10 minute flight that only restarted with full app close and reopen have not had that before either
I have an iPad Air 2 arriving on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it performs. Others have said the Air 2 handles the intensive processor demand of the Pilot app much better, so I have high hopes.

Last edited:
I'm using an iPad Air 2 and today it had temp issues in direct sunlight and 82 degree weather within 7 min.
Yikes, that's horrible performance. Sorry to hear that.

I routinely use my weak iPad Mini 2 in 90ish degrees with no issues. I'll still keep the faith that the much more powerful Air 2 will work for my use case. I'l see on Tuesday when it is forecasted to be 98 degrees in my area. Fingers are crossed!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl