FPV lag; tablet operating temps

You guys on iOS make sure you have hardware decoder on.. see if this helps..
I have tried it both with and without on both my iPad Air and my iPhone 6+ it has made no difference one where the other almost positive is it a definite heat issue whatever I use many other apps out in the same temperatures and don't have an issue

If your not seeing any improvement with Hardware decoding on then something is up with the tablet. Hardware decoding with drop almost 100ms of the latency. But correct if the device is hot it will start to throttle due to thermal settings.

Been flying my P3 for quite sometime, Latest firmware, Latest version of the App.. Hardware decoding on/off iPad Air 2 with lil or no issues what so ever... No lags, no app disconnect. Only time i was having problem was when using shou to capture my screen... the app crashed once but other that all good here.

Already have.. Not worth responding to people that provide no data points and have that type of attitude.

Mmm Not 100% true mate... yes some fluff in there... but some good stuff as well. I've personally done some good testing ... and posted my findings...

I'm seeing this too on my iPad Mini 2. I think it's a software bug in the video decoder in the new DJI Pilot app. It goes away if you hard quit the app (go back to home screen, double click home button, swipe away the DJI Pilot window, then reopen the DJI Pilot app). Probably a buffer overflow or some kind of data corruption in the video decoder library. DJI's developers need to take a look and fix it.

I'm seeing this too on my iPad Mini 2. I think it's a software bug in the video decoder in the new DJI Pilot app. It goes away if you hard quit the app (go back to home screen, double click home button, swipe away the DJI Pilot window, then reopen the DJI Pilot app). Probably a buffer overflow or some kind of data corruption in the video decoder library. DJI's developers need to take a look and fix it.

Try to clear your video cache and see if that helps...

I've been flying for 2 1/2 years never had an issue of heat this is the first for me it most definitely is a heat and not an app issue unless the app is drawing too much causing the heat and did a flight this morning temperatures in the 70s no issues whatsoever

On a sidenote I do have a lagging issue of a gimbal vibration it's almost a constant every three second thing like a wave go through the gimbal I've tried three different sets of props Two of which I have balanced I tried the camera at different angles and I tried different ball dampers none of which you seem to resolve the issue I'm starting to think maybe I have a bad gimble only thing is I don't see it ever if I did set phantom on picnic table and record so it is a vibration caused during flying kind of at a loss as to what to do guess maybe I have to send it back
I also never had an issue until the temp rose. FPV has always been smooth as glass.

Perhaps there has never been a heat related issue until this new app was released which is why no long term fliers have experienced the issue before now. Maybe it is the app itself, and it just won't work well for smooth FPV in warmer climates.

So far I can't find specs for any tablet/phone that show a high enough operating temperature to work well in a warm weather climate.

Flying a Phantom can't be only a cool weather activity. There must be something out there, right?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
You guys on iOS make sure you have hardware decoder on.. see if this helps..
I did that initially when I first had the problem and started researching the issue. It was no help at all. The only thing I have found that works for me is to fly only in the early morning or late in the evening just before it gets dark. Basically only when it is *not* hot outside. As soon as I try to fly in the warmer afternoon I get severe FPV lag again. This is using a clean iPad Mini 2, with nothing running except the pilot app.

We keep testing though so don't think we aren't listing..

Reactions: Oso
Been flying my P3 for quite sometime, Latest firmware, Latest version of the App.. Hardware decoding on/off iPad Air 2 with lil or no issues what so ever... No lags, no app disconnect. Only time i was having problem was when using shou to capture my screen... the app crashed once but other that all good here.
this is good to hear as Im due to upgrade my ipad air have not any any issue with it till yesterday temps in the 90s have you used your air 2 in hot weather?

Reactions: ViperNuke
this is good to hear as Im due to upgrade my ipad air have not any any issue with it till yesterday temps in the 90s have you used your air 2 in hot weather?

Yes i have.. Just this morning i did a 2 miles flight in a open area with very lil trees or any protection from the Sun around me. I have a Clear cover from Casearmy.com on my iPad Air 2 and no Sun shades.. It did get hot a lil but no FPV lags to report.

Any of you considered a few peltier coolers attached to the back of your tablets? You can get flat ones for $6-$10 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bigstone-TEC1...e=UTF8&qid=1433971242&sr=8-2&keywords=peltier

Sounds like a "cool" project.

By the way, my Nvidia Shield Tablet has lag also and it also gets hot, just not as bad lag as my iPad Mini 2.
I'm thinking more along the lines of using a wrapped gel ice pack on the back of my tablet, but I'm not sure if I can rig something to fit in the device holder.

That's my problem I live in a pretty mild climate for socal.. We wont start seeing hot days for about another month.

It's only about 80F/26C near me today. I just returned from flying for about 30 minutes across two batteries. No issues at all with FPV lag. Smooth as silk.

In my eyes there is no doubt at all that the FPV lagging issues I mentioned when I started this thread were due to an overheated iPad Mini 2.

Now the search will continue for a compatible tablet that works in warmer weather since I have a few months of that ahead of me. First however will be testing in warm weather using a covered gel ice pack on the back of the iPad.

I had a gray bar disconnect last weekend on a hot day. The P3 reconnected automatically though. The App didn't quit but it did prompt my iPad Mini to "trust this computer" when the reconnect happened. That is something that only happens when you first plug into the iOS device with the RC controller on. It was 90+ degrees that day with no wind and I was standing in the sun with a sunshade around my iPad Mini 2. It happened maybe 6-7 minutes into my flight. I found that I still had RC control though when I looked at the video that was taken.

Today same temperature same location but this time there was a bit of a headwind and I was standing in the shade of my truck and didn't use a sunshade around my iPad. I believe standing in the shade with the small breeze made a difference. I didn't have any disconnects, 2 miles out and back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers