FPV kit help

Yeah I hear ya, I have been waiting all winter to get a FPV kit for my phantom 1.1.1, I finally decide on a kit and wham I get something that's not working. Very frsustrating to say the least. I was driving my wife nuts talking about it LOL. Anyways the seller called me last night, we tried to get it working, he just said they were going to send another kit, all I had to do is box the one not working and send it in the mail and when they get conformation of it leaving the post office they would send out the new kit. He sent me a post paid return label for the padded package to send it back. So all I have to do is get it to the post office I will keep all posted when I get the new kit, if it does not work something is going to happen in the area of a volcano exploding. LOL The seller was very good he called me when he said he would, and did not hesitate to say he would replace the kit. He was hinting on either the monitor or tX not working. I knew enough not to power it up without any antenna on it first.

Yeah I hear ya, I have been waiting all winter to get a FPV kit for my phantom 1.1.1, I finally decide on a kit and wham I get something that's not working. Very frsustrating to say the least. I was driving my wife nuts talking about it LOL. Anyways the seller called me last night, we tried to get it working, he just said they were going to send another kit, all I had to do is box the one not working and send it in the mail and when they get conformation of it leaving the post office they would send out the new kit. He sent me a post paid return label for the padded package to send it back. So all I have to do is get it to the post office I will keep all posted when I get the new kit, if it does not work something is going to happen in the area of a volcano exploding. LOL The seller was very good he called me when he said he would, and did not hesitate to say he would replace the kit. He was hinting on either the monitor or tX not working. I knew enough not to power it up without any antenna on it first.

10-4 Droid, that all sounds good. It sounds like the seller is 100% cool. I know some folks have had good success with kits, but for the most part, I try to stay away from them. The monitor is the number one component that you will have direct interface with during your entire FPV flight, so it's the last place you want to try to save a few bucks. I did a lot of research before purchasing my monitor and ended up getting the Flysight Black Pearl 5.8 GHz 32 channel Diversity monitor. It has performed flawlessly and I don't think for a moment about the $235.00 price tag (well, I guess I just did :rolleyes:). Anyway, if you have any trouble with the second kit, I would ask for a full refund and put my gear together one part at a time. There's plenty of good info on the forums about what's compatible with what and how to hook it all up. Also, when you hit a snag, a lot of guys are ready and willing to help you out.

Thanks for keeping us informed, as I'm sure someone else somewhere is learning from your experience. Later...

Yeah i am going to give them one more chance to get the kit to me in working order, i asked them and they said the kits work they themselves have simlar hookups on their drones. They did say going through ebay is usually a refund process and i dont want to do that just yet. He seemed kool on the phone. I am trying to get them to send it first then i will post it in the mail, We are in ontario canada just across the border from port huron where i had it shipped to. So getting over the border just to send it would cost a small fortune with bridge tolls etc and with the price of our dollar right now it hurts us in our pocket books. So if they send it they should i paid for it already, i will post it the day i pick up the new one. I think thats fair, They are paying for the USPS postage 2 day service so thats ok i already have the prepaid label in my Gmail address.

Hey rebelyellNC how well does your N1Naza OSD work? Where did you get it and how much? With my monitor i have with this kit would it display on it. If i get a good working kit, i am looking at gettting a better monitor in the near future something like you have.

One other item maybe someone can answer for me. The plastic wrap that is tightely woven over the TX when you get them, are they suppose to be removed or not? It seems they would melt as the TX i have in the kit the boscam TS832 heats up.

Hey rebelyellNC how well does your N1Naza OSD work? Where did you get it and how much? With my monitor i have with this kit would it display on it. If i get a good working kit, i am looking at gettting a better monitor in the near future something like you have.

Hey Droid, that's more good news that the seller is doing a cross ship, where you send the bad AFTER you get the good one. That pretty much shows they can be trusted.

As for the N1 NAZA OSD, here's a link to where I purchased mine, I noticed it's cheaper now than when I bought it :(

FPV Flight Controller N1 OSD Module for DJI NAZA V1 V2 NAZA Lite and GPS in US E | eBay

This is actually a search link, so be sure it's stocked in a US warehouse. Otherwise, it will take three to six weeks to get to you on a slow boat from China (or Hong Kong). I'm very satisfied with the unit. Out of all the different telemetry options, you can choose which ones you want to show on screen, and the best part is, you can choose exactly WHERE they show up on screen. I think there were only two feeds that were in Chinese and all the rest were either icons or English letters, like "D" for distance, "H" for height, etc. The wiring was simple, but the config was a little challenging. There is a video on youtube that shows step by step, each telemetry item and how to advance through the menu and how to select and program. It comes with a heavy plastic shrink material around it, which I left intact, because it's inside the bird and I didn't want any shorting going on.

The plastic wrap that is tightely woven over the TX when you get them, are they suppose to be removed or not?

I took mine off the vTx, because it's mounted outside the bird, and because it was covering the heat sink, thereby defeating the purpose. If the fins on the heat sink can't radiate heat into the air, then you've got a problem. Even after a fifteen minute flight, I've never noticed the vTx to be even warm, so if yours is getting hot, I'd remove the plastic.

I took mine off figuring it was for shipping, it was getting hot from the first time i fired it up. Was not sure if it made a difference in transmitting. I think personally its the tx but hey they are replacing the whole kit. They wanted proof it was posted before they shipped another one. Its not easy getting to port huron in michigan to post it back. Im hoping they will trust me in sending it back. After all i only have one drone and a broken fpv kit is no good to me.

Ok update they are replacing the kit, testing it to maksure it works and soldering the wires for me all i have to do is connect the acessory wires from my drone to the leads on the jst plug solder them and wrap them with shrink wrap.They are shipping it out tomorrow or thur with a prepaid return shipping label and packaging to put the old kit in.

Ok update they are replacing the kit, testing it to maksure it works and soldering the wires for me all i have to do is connect the acessory wires from my drone to the leads on the jst plug solder them and wrap them with shrink wrap.They are shipping it out tomorrow or thur with a prepaid return shipping label and packaging to put the old kit in.

Hey man, that's great news. Sounds like they value their customers enough to go the extra mile and set the whole kit up ahead of time in order to insure that everything works. That's a rare commodity in today's market place. We'll be waiting to see how it all comes together when you get it installed and in the air.

Hey rebelyellNC the naza os display module does it come with everything i need to hookup or do i need anything else. Also how does it display the telementry items on the monitor.

Hey rebelyellNC the naza os display module does it come with everything i need to hookup or do i need anything else. Also how does it display the telementry items on the monitor.

The N1 Naza OSD does come with everything, including an eight conductor ribbon cable with header connectors. The cool thing about that, is that you can strip off the color(s) you need or want to use for your config and still have plenty left for other projects. The install is really easy, but the config is a little challenging. There's a youtube video to show the exact order of how to set each item up and with this unit, you can select exactly which icons and the best part, exactly WHERE you want them to display on the screen. I remember reading somewhere that the newest ones have firmware that labels every icon in English now, so hopefully you'll get that one. If not, there are only two icons out of the whole batch that still have Chinese characters, and you can tell by the values what is being displayed anyway. The only thing I didn't care for was the roll indicator in the center of the screen doesn't move with the bird (actually, doesn't move at all). For that, I like the iODS Mini from DJI much better. I've had both, so with the iOSD Mini at over $100 (with required PMU V2 module) and the N1 Naza OSD at $23 or so, it's a no brainer.

Let us know what you get...

Well I am looking at getting the N1 naza OSD, the price is much better suited for my budget right now. I will look into those youtube videos to see how to hook them up. what I am finding is I cant seem to find the right screwdriver to take out the screws for lifting off the cover the hex screws I have a proper allen key for that, I have tried every tiny screw driver I have, do you happen to know what #screwdriver is needed for those darn screws. Still waiting for USAquadcopters to send me the FPV kit, hopefully they got everything tested and will get it out today or tomorrow, no great rush since we are back to getting winter weather here in SW Ontario again for a few days ARG.

RebelyellNC, been looking on ebay for the N1 NAZA OSD, found some from you link, dont see any from North American or any that say it comes with the coloured ribbon you mention, i know the coloured ribbon is for hooking up to the tx, camera etc. It does come with the cable that goes from the OSD to the main Naza controller in my case probably like yours its the Naza M ver 2 module. I take it the cable from the GPS moduel plugs into the the OSD right beside the cable that goes to the Main Naza controller. Now next question were did you mount it inside the bird? I see there is a button you press that gets you to the screen and setting up all the variables, what did you do just set it up then leave it in that one format, and you say there is an option to get most of the language in english and the telementary icons as well.

Also does it read in ft and miles etc instead of metric like meters?

Hey Droid, sorry it's so late getting back to you on your questions. I didn't get a flag that you had responded to my watched thread. Anyway, I'll see if and how many of those I can answer.

what I am finding is I cant seem to find the right screwdriver to take out the screws for lifting off the cover the hex screws I have a proper allen key for that, I have tried every tiny screw driver I have, do you happen to know what #screwdriver is needed for those darn screws.

I guess I'm not fully understanding this. You mentioned the hex screws, which I'm thinking are the allen head screws for the shell. At one point you said you have the "proper allen key for that", but at another point you said you "tried every tiny screwdriver I have". If you have the proper allen key, why are you having a problem? Also note that aside from the allen screws, there is one very small Phillips screw at the very end of each arm. I use a jewler's screwdriver for this and it works perfectly. I don't know the number of the jewler's screwdriver bit, but in a small kit with the driver handle and six bits, it's the only Phillips in there. So if you can clarify the allen screw problem, maybe I can understand it better. Sorry for the confusion.

dont see any from North American or any that say it comes with the coloured ribbon you mention

If you look on the search page provided by the link, some of the OSDs will say either "USA Warehouse" or list a city in "CA" or have an American flag beside the picture. Those are the ones available from the States. The eight conductor colored ribbon cable with header connectors on both ends is pictured in almost every listing in the search. It's kind of small and hard to see, but it's there and each wire, when separated from the others, is plenty long enough to reach all the components inside and outside the shell.

Now next question were did you mount it inside the bird?

I was able to fit it between the NAZA M and the edge of the shell. In fact, it fit to tightly, I didn't need anything to secure it, like tape or Velcro. Even after a couple of crashes experimenting with Manual Mode, it is still in the same place I installed it.

I see there is a button you press that gets you to the screen and setting up all the variables, what did you do just set it up then leave it in that one format

Not too sure what you mean by "that one format", but I did all the setup according to the youtube video I mentioned, doing one step at the time. I don't remember if there is a step to exit the config program, but I'm sure there is. You'll have to check out the video to verify.

you say there is an option to get most of the language in english and the telementary icons as well.

Again, this will be explained in the video. Best I can remember, there's no narration in the video, so it takes a lot of pausing, setting your option, then resuming the video. It was quite challenging, but worth it in the end. There are a sequence of three videos that allow you to configure the OSD. I'll list them here:

1)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2)

3)

It's also very helpful to watch these in their entirety before even opening the shell. Then set up a laptop or table or whatever on your workbench when you get ready to do the programming, and play them again (in order) as you do the work, pausing frequently.

Also does it read in ft and miles etc instead of metric like meters?

Again, it's in the video, but I don't think there is a conversion, at least not in the version I had. I just got used to multiplying the meters by three (roughly) in my head and memorizing that 400 feet is around 127 meters. OK, hope this helps...

Thanks rebelyellNC. I have been watching the videos and asking questions, the module you have is the one I was asking about, the one USA Seller said it comes with the coloured ribbon too. When I get this OSD I will look at the videos and hopefully I can get it set up. The screws I am talking about are the Phillips one on each arm of the drone, I have tried all my small screwdrives and cant seem to get them to work. The jewelers set, we have some here at work but they are flat tipped I will need to get the Phillips set.

Not too worried about meters or feet, just that most of it is in English, I think you said it has that capability. It looks like it is a good setup for the price, all I really am looking for is altitude reading and time in the air. I was looking at the N 3 mini OSD but you need a Can hub as well. I think for 30 bucks roughtly like you say its a no brainer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers