FPV kit help

Reaction score
Hey guys: Just bought the 5.8Ghz Long Range Quadcopter Drone FPV Kit w/Sony Camera, 600mw Tx, Antennas. Bought it off of ebay. I have followed the wiring hookup and soldered accordinly as per the pictures posted on the site were the item was for sale. I have power to the tx ok, i have plugged in the camera, and turned on the monitor receiver. I have gone through each of the 8 channels on the monitor reciever and gone through each freq and set of channels for each. I dont seem to be able to get any video feed to the monitor. Every now and again when it looks like a channel matchs the screen on the monitor flickers and there seems to be a lot of what looks like interference, the words no signal is gone when i hit what looks like matching channels. If you scan through other channels on the TX the words no signal pop up on those channels. Seems like i am close but not sure whats going on here. I did not figure it would be so hard to get this to work. I have included a picture of the wiring harness hooked up to the TX, the other red and black go to matching jst plugs which i have connected to the accessory wires coming out of the bottom of the phantom drone 1.1.1 i have. Any ideas really need some help.

Just to add to this, we have cogeco cable wifi in the house, we have 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz wifi, the modem has the ability to use both, the 5.8 is a bit slower, would this interfere with this setup since its on the 5.8 ghz frequency. I tried it in the backyard to get a reception and the same thing happens. If i go to an open spot with no interference maybe this would work, i will try it out and post back.

Attachments

• 20160319_121647.jpg
    20160319_121647.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 572
Last edited:
Hey guys: Just bought the 5.8Ghz Long Range Quadcopter Drone FPV Kit w/Sony Camera, 600mw Tx, Antennas. Bought it off of ebay. I have followed the wiring hookup and soldered accordinly as per the pictures posted on the site were the item was for sale. I have power to the tx ok, i have plugged in the camera, and turned on the monitor receiver. I have gone through each of the 8 channels on the monitor reciever and gone through each freq and set of channels for each. I dont seem to be able to get any video feed to the monitor. Every now and again when it looks like a channel matchs the screen on the monitor flickers and there seems to be a lot of what looks like interference, the words no signal is gone when i hit what looks like matching channels. If you scan through other channels on the TX the words no signal pop up on those channels. Seems like i am close but not sure whats going on here. I did not figure it would be so hard to get this to work. I have included a picture of the wiring harness hooked up to the TX, the other red and black go to matching jst plugs which i have connected to the accessory wires coming out of the bottom of the phantom drone 1.1.1 i have. Any ideas really need some help.

Just to add to this, we have cogeco cable wifi in the house, we have 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz wifi, the modem has the ability to use both, the 5.8 is a bit slower, would this interfere with this setup since its on the 5.8 ghz frequency. I tried it in the backyard to get a reception and the same thing happens. If i go to an open spot with no interference maybe this would work, i will try it out and post back.

Hey Droid, I don't know if I can help or not, but just wanted to throw a few thoughts out there that might stir some ideas for you or others. It took me a little while to get my P1.1.1 working with FPV, but it's all golden now. First of all, if your vTx is 32 channel, then it's usually 8 channels operating on 4 selectable bands, or at least, that's been what I could gather from my limited experience and reading posts on this forum and reading spec sheets when I was shopping for FPV. So if your monitor/receiver has only 8 channels, then they would be on one fixed band. So do you know the band your monitor/receiver is assigned? If so, that same band must be used on the vTx to match the signals. In short, your 32 channel vTx is limited to only the eight channels your monitor/receiver band will allow.

Another thought, have you selected the format on each device, that is, NTSC or PAL? If not, they would give what looks like interference if they are not both the same. Other than making sure you have matched 1) band, 2) channel, and 3) format; these devices should work. I didn't see any specs or brand name on the monitor/receiver as I read your post. That may help others in figuring out what's going on. Hope this helps, if not, maybe someone else has some ideas. In the meantime, fly safe/fly happy...

Thanks for the tips: I forgot to mention what devices they were, the TX is a boscam 832, the receiver monitor is a TFT lcd 7" monitor, it does both NTSC and PAL but i do not know how to change between the 2 formats the manual was pretty much useless, just a page or 2 on what the buttons are for. In the description from the ebay seller, it says its a boscam monitor. The Cam is a sony 700 TVL CCTV FPV cam. What i have done so far, is i use the frequency button the tx to get each set of 4 frequencies and then use the channel button to go through each channel, while on the receiver i put the little switches on the back to correspond to each of the 8 channels that the monitor reciever has. The only thing i get close to is what you are saying, when i hit what looks like a matching chanell between the 2 all i get is flickering on the screen and some snow and fuzzyiness. That looks like it might be a sign of the monitor being in PAL, i dont see any where on the monitor to change this, maybe its that simple. I have spoken with the guys selling the kit USAquadcopters, they have been really good, they are doing diagnostic checks on their end and said if anything is not working they will makesure my kit is working by the time they figure things out. They say also its a boscam monitor so i guess i could try to google things on how to change between the 2 mormats. I know if a movie is in PAL and you try to play it over here, you get all that fuzzyiness and snow i was talking about.

Thanks for the tips: I forgot to mention what devices they were, the TX is a boscam 832, the receiver monitor is a TFT lcd 7" monitor, it does both NTSC and PAL but i do not know how to change between the 2 formats the manual was pretty much useless, just a page or 2 on what the buttons are for. In the description from the ebay seller, it says its a boscam monitor. The Cam is a sony 700 TVL CCTV FPV cam. What i have done so far, is i use the frequency button the tx to get each set of 4 frequencies and then use the channel button to go through each channel, while on the receiver i put the little switches on the back to correspond to each of the 8 channels that the monitor reciever has. The only thing i get close to is what you are saying, when i hit what looks like a matching chanell between the 2 all i get is flickering on the screen and some snow and fuzzyiness. That looks like it might be a sign of the monitor being in PAL, i dont see any where on the monitor to change this, maybe its that simple. I have spoken with the guys selling the kit USAquadcopters, they have been really good, they are doing diagnostic checks on their end and said if anything is not working they will makesure my kit is working by the time they figure things out. They say also its a boscam monitor so i guess i could try to google things on how to change between the 2 mormats. I know if a movie is in PAL and you try to play it over here, you get all that fuzzyiness and snow i was talking about.

Yep, definitely sounds like a format mismatch between PAL and NTSC, one on the monitor and the other on the vTx. So keep searching the web for a user manual or spec sheet on the exact model and brand of monitor, and you should be set to match 'em up and go flyin'. :cool:

Yep looks like it, not having any luck finding how to change between formats arg lol. The screen just flickers between blue screen and fuzzy snowy screen, the words no signal are gone from screen.

As there are no physical buttons to change this very frustrating.

OK, if you'll give me the EXACT brand name AND model of the monitor, I'll see what I can find, but they must be exact. Thanks...

Or, you could paste the link to the exact item you purchased on Ebay and I'll chase it down that way.

Ok, the Camera is a Sony 700 TVL CCTV FPV cam its in a case with a mounting bracket, the tx is a boscam ts832 32 channel unit, and the monitor is a Pillow 7" monitor with a built in receiver 8 channels, now on the ebay site the seller says its a boscam, its kinda cheap but thats ok as long as i get it to work. I went through the menu options on the screen, all it gives is color, brightness, contrast, language, reset, format either 16.9 or 4:3 also rotate.

This kit contains all the parts necessary to turn your multirotor into a spying FPV flying machine! The easy to use kit can be configured by an amateur and features high-quality components that will yield excellent range and clarity. Wiring is simple, and instructions are included at the bottom of this page. Wiring and setup can be completed with just a few minutes.

Package Includes:

1x 7" HD Monitor with built-in 5.8Ghz receiver and battery

1x Boscam 600mw 5.8Ghz transmitter

1x Sony 700TVL CCTV camera

1x Set 5.8Ghz clover antenna

1x Right-angle antenna connector

1x Monitor shade

1x Monitor mount for flat surfaces

1x Screen bracket for mounting the monitor to your controller

Specifications:

Boscam 7" Monitor with Built-In 5.8Ghz Video Receiver and Battery

Screen Resolution: 800 x 480
Screen Size: 150mm x 90mm
Battery Capacity: 4960mah
Receiver Channels: (See Below)
Weight (Monitor): 288g
Battery Life: 2 hours
Antenna Connector: SMA Female
Antenna Gain: 5.61dbi

Channels: CH1: 5705, CH2: 5685, CH3: 5665, CH4: 5645, CH5: 5885, CH6: 5905, CH7: 5925, CH8: 5945.

Boscam 5.8Ghz 600mw Video Transmitter

Power input: 7.4-16V (3S Lipo / ~12v suggested)

• Outputs 12v (matches input voltage)

• Transmitting power: 600mA

• Antenna gain: 2db

• Working current: 220mA at 12V

• Video bandwidth: 8M

• Audio bandwidth : 6.5M

• No auido input on Tx (will not work with antenna trackers)

• Weight: 22g

• Dimension: 54x 32x 10mm (excluding antenna)

• Video format supported: NTSC/PAL

• Antenna connection: SMA (not RP-SMA)
Frequency and channel frequency table:

freq-table.jpg

Compatible with Fatshark, ImmersionRC Boscam, Foxtech and other generic branded FPV receivers within the same frequency range.

Sony 700TVL CCTV FPV Camera

Item name :700TVL 2.8mm Lens CCD FPV Camera
Resolution: 700TVL
Lens: 2.8mm
FOV:90 degree
Pixel: PAL: 1020H×596V (61MP) NTSC: 1020H×508V (52MP)
Effective Pixel: PAL: 976H×582V (57MP) NTSC: 976H×494V (48MP)
Format : PAL/NTSC
DNR:2DNR, support 0-15 class adjustable
Minimun illuminance: 0.01LUX/F1.2DNR: ≥48dB
Video ouput: 1.0Vp-p/75Ω
AGC: 0.25/0.50/0.75/1.00 adjustable, max 55db
White balance: On/Off
Explosure: Electric explosure
Electric shutter1/50(1/60) - 1/100000 seconds
Working voltage: DC12V
Size: 26mm*26mm
Weight:10g

Instructions for assembly:

1. Start charging monitor using 5v power source and micro-usb connector (not included)
  2. Install and firmly screw on clover antennas and right-angle connector. 3-blade is for the TS832 transmitter and 4-blade is for the monitor.
  3. Cut and solder the yellow, red, and black wires in the camera harness to the yellow, black, and red leads on the TS832 transmitter
  4. Connect power from the vehicle battery to the transmitter (requires 12 volts)
  5. Turn on monitor and select proper channel

Maybe someone can have better luck than me, i have been googling all day LOL. When i have everything hooked up and powered on, like i said when i find a matching channel or what looks like one, all i get is a blue screen and goes to a snowy kinda moving horizontal lines moving up and down. When i kill the power to the drone the transmission quits on the screen and it says no signal.

On the box that the receiver monitor comes in it says its a pillow TFT LCD monitor receiver.

Maybe someone can have better luck than me, i have been googling all day LOL. When i have everything hooked up and powered on, like i said when i find a matching channel or what looks like one, all i get is a blue screen and goes to a snowy kinda moving horizontal lines moving up and down. When i kill the power to the drone the transmission quits on the screen and it says no signal.

OK Droid, looks like you've pretty much beat the bushes for info. Thanks for including all those details. I too googled till my keyboard cried out for a break, and I found a number of user manuals, but each was waaaaaaay minimal in it's content. I did find one helpful area in the specs on the Ebay listing. According to the fixed frequencies of each 8-channel band, you must use the "E" band on the vTx and no other. Those are the only eight frequencies that will match the channels on your monitor/receiver. So trying all 32 channels will be an exercise in futility. So only select what Boscam calls "FR3" which is band E and those eight channels will align with your receiver.

Another helpful hint was found in one of the manuals. It refers to the menu item needed to change from NTSC to PAL (or vice versa) as "SYSTEM". So you would first have to be on the same Band E channel on the transmitter and receiver, THEN go to the menu selections in the monitor and find "SYSTEM". When you find System, hit Enter or Select or whatever they call it, and you should see the two options NTSC and PAL. You would of course need to know which one your transmitter is set to first, then setup the monitor to the same one.

If none of this works, since the listing on Ebay states "100% Satisfaction Guarantee", I would return the item for a refund and choose a well known monitor/receiver like a Black Pearl or Lilliput. Everything else in the kit looks fine, except they really cut a big corner with the monitor. I know this isn't the fix you were hoping for, but I hope it helps and I sympathize with your frustration (been there, done that). Maybe someone else will see your post and be able to offer more help. Please let us know how this works out, or whether you get a new kit.

Hey thanks for the info. I have checked the menu options for the monitor nothing about system or going between pal and ntsc. I too am not impressed with the monitor. They said they would not leave me with a kit that does not work so when they finish their testing, said they were gonna pull a kit and see what happens. I wonder about all the other kits that they sold how are they doing. This is crazy been trying for 4 days to get this to work. I will try those channels and see if i can figure it out, they said when they get a match on channels they would let me know

Well i put the vtx to freq 3 as stated and went through all 8 channels on the receiver monitor i get nothing. Have no idea whats going on here is a pic of my wiring looking at underside of tx looks like wires are at least hooked up right.

Attachments

• 1458594019094.jpg
    1458594019094.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 525
Well i put the vtx to freq 3 as stated and went through all 8 channels on the receiver monitor i get nothing. Have no idea whats going on here is a pic of my wiring looking at underside of tx looks like wires are at least hooked up right.

Now that you have verified the wiring and that the monitor does not work when the correct Band is selected on the vTx, I would begin the return process with the Ebay. Once the process has started, any further communication between yourself and the seller will go through Ebay and become part of the case. I have had this happen with a couple of items and Ebay has always gotten my money back. It's a hassle, but worth it in the end. This is why I think PhantomPilots needs a "Dog House" section, where folks that have had problems such as yours can let others know who to steer clear of. Good luck and try to find a little more reputable monitor next time. Remember the old adage, you get what you pay for. Keep us informed as things progress...

Ya i will just heard from the seller their calling me tomorrw night to discuss the situation

Well i spoke with the owners and they are exchanging the kit for me. I have to send the old one back first when it posts they will send out the new one, they already sent me a post paid 2 day priority mail label to my email, do i have to start the process through ebay or just post it in the mail and go from there.

I have the Boscam setup on my P1.1.1
But I'm using a SJ4000
Works fantastic. Haven't had a chance to read every detail of this thread but when you get your replacement, if it doesn't work, PM me and I'll see if I can help

Boscam 600mW TS832 / RC832

Well i spoke with the owners and they are exchanging the kit for me. I have to send the old one back first when it posts they will send out the new one, they already sent me a post paid 2 day priority mail label to my email, do i have to start the process through ebay or just post it in the mail and go from there.

Actually, it's your choice. If you want full protection and all your correspondence documented, you need to go through Ebay. The downside to that is that there is a three business day wait, after you begin the claim, then a three business day wait before the seller must respond to the claim, then a three business day wait before Ebay makes a decision on the claim, based on all the documentation they review between you and the seller.

On the other hand, if you feel the seller is acting out of genuine concern for your satisfaction, and you feel you can "trust" them, the faster way to get the replacement is to work directly with them. Even if you work directly with the seller, you are still protected by EBay's 100% money back policy, IF it's stated in the listing.

So it's really up to you. If you're like me, when you get charged up about new equipment, you want it yesterday and you want it to work. Patience is not something I can easily employ when dealing with faulty equipment or less than reputable sellers on Ebay. I just finished a claim where the seller was providing terrible customer service and making promises they never delivered on, so I opened a claim with Ebay to get resolution on the seller's promise to give a $7.00 refund on a $50.00 item, just because they were so slow in shipping it out. I did receive the item and it did work, but it was like pulling teeth to get the seller to do anything they promised. Ebay misunderstood that I did not ask for a FULL refund, only what the seller promised. I had all the correspondence between myself and the seller and they still found in favor of the seller, due to THEIR misunderstanding of the events. They closed the case, which means you can't even post negative feedback to warn other buyers.

On another front, you are fortunate to have JKDSensei in your corner on fixing this. He has helped me and many others on this forum with troubleshooting and should be a great resource for getting you flying FPV soon. Again, good luck and keep us up to date when you have time...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4