FPV Issues

Reaction score
Hello All-
I've been lurking here for awhile reading up on the DJI Phantoms after I made the mistake of buying an AR Drone 2.0 last year. Had that for like 5 flights and watched it just fly off into the sunset. I decided after that I would get a DJI Phantom, but was holding out for the P3 to come out. It was very difficult to keep waiting and waiting..... At one point I kept wondering if they were actually going to release a P3!

It finally arrived yesterday. I don't think I've been more excited about a package showing up to my door! I have decided to do the 10 flights for 10 minutes to condition the LIPO batteries, so I have 30 minutes of flight time. I cannot believe how easy it is to fly compared to my experience with other quadcopters.

I am having an one issue that I'm trying to sort out. I have had to fly using line of sight as I am not getting a video feed to my Samsung phone through the latest Android pilot app that downloaded from the DJI website.

So far I have tried putting my phone into airplane mode. I've tried turning off my Wifi and even re-starting the phone, controller and the phantom. Once in awhile I get a still image that stays on the screen, but it doesn't seem to be streaming the video feed from the camera to the phone. I also checked to make sure that it is in video vs. camera mode? Is there anything I should try in troubleshooting this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, as a new Phantom owner, I'd love some suggestions as to how to start getting acclimated and what I should do to ensure that I am extremely competent before going out and doing more risky flying. I've read enough about people who seem to get too themselves into trouble because they haven't fully read the manual or decided to do too much too soon. I've read the manual twice, watched all the DJI videos, watched some other tutorial overview videos on youtube and so far I've practiced the RTH feature a bunch of times so I understand how it works. Just looking for any advice from other owners who might have some wisdom to share. I don't want to get too overconfident too soon and end up crashing my bird because I didn't put in the time and effort to become very competent.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have! I look forward to being a part of this great forum and hobby!

Lipo 10 min flights are not necessary
Any reason why? I have had a lot of other Lipo batteries for other RC stuff and even the battery manufacturer recommended cycling them anywhere from 5-10 times to get the maximum performance and life of the battery. Does DJI do something with there batteries or is this one of those great internet debates that you see on so many other RC forums about whether it is necessary or not?

Moderators: I apologize for posting this in the wrong section. I realized I should have posted it in the Help section. Please feel free to move it over there if it is possible.

Moderators: I apologize for posting this in the wrong section. I realized I should have posted it in the Help section. Please feel free to move it over there if it is possible.
Check this video on the care and conditioning of the battery
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

These batteries are classed as smart batteries. They have built in controller and chips to help regulate usages. You can plug into the assistant and get a readout of the battery. Fully charge to 100% to fly and best to be back on ground when it get no lower than 20%. You will get different opinions on the low end but if you are flying and the battery get to low it will auto land no matter what is below it. Could be water, wires, highways, people etc. so it's best to set RTH when battery gets low to come home. My rule of thumb is time out and time back to have 20% left when I land. Doesn't alway work that way due to head winds and distance I go out. Autonomous flying is where I have to really be careful. Check and double check before hitting GO. I calculate 15-18 minutes of flight time. Then do the math with distance. Takes trial and error. To get pretty good at it. Watch your batteries, when they get older 45-50 cycles they sometimes start loosing longevity and the flight times can drop. The book says discard them after 300 cycles but I never ever get that a out of usage from them.good luck and good flying!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31