FPV, iOSD, PMU all buttoned up!

Reaction score
Finally, after a little fiasco with the 1st iOSD I have her all buttoned up and excited for the new maiden flight! OSD sure is going to add a lot of comfort when punching out there. Bet we add at least a few minutes of flight time as well. :cool:

Added the following:

* FPV (250mW FatShark)
* iOSD & PMU
* Carbon props
* MadDog 2700mAh battery

Install came out a little cleaner than I expected. All the wiring (cam, vtx, and power) run up through the front/right leg. No more wires leading up to the battery door. :)

13572803883_8109f2458a_c.jpg

13573110084_3958553a20_c.jpg

13572677395_786c97e552_c.jpg

Nice...feels good, doesn't it!

I would be soooo tempted to fly indoors in that space...the 11ft ceilings in my den make me want to do it so I know I probably couldn't resist at your place :twisted:

OI Photography said:
Nice...feels good, doesn't it!

I would be soooo tempted to fly indoors in that space...the 11ft ceilings in my den make me want to do it so I know I probably couldn't resist at your place :twisted:

I hear ya, lol. I've flown a bunch of little heli's in the house.

Very 1st 'flight' with the Phantom was in the house (well, after an initial start up outside to ensure it was stable). Even get full satellite sync in the house (flat roof)

Kitteh doesn't seem to mind. :twisted:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkmfPEFxc4E[/youtube]

Howzit said:
Finally, after a little fiasco with the 1st iOSD I have her all buttoned up and excited for the new maiden flight! OSD sure is going to add a lot of comfort when punching out there. Bet we add at least a few minutes of flight time as well. :cool:

Added the following:

* FPV (250mW FatShark)
* iOSD & PMU
* Carbon props
* MadDog 2700mAh battery

Install came out a little cleaner than I expected. All the wiring (cam, vtx, and power) run up through the front/right leg. No more wires leading up to the battery door. :)
]

Cool with all the new stuff but don't be surprised if you get less time. Just the nature of the beast. (sorry to ruin the celebration)

EMCSQUAR said:
Howzit said:

Added the following:

* FPV (250mW FatShark)
* iOSD & PMU
* Carbon props
* MadDog 2700mAh battery

]

Cool with all the new stuff but don't be surprised if you get less time. Just the nature of the beast. (sorry to ruin the celebration)

I haven't done flight times on a naked shell (no real point, imo), but I know where I sit with FPV+GoPro. My optimistic money is on the larger props and battery adding a big of time.

We'll know tomorrow! :)

Howzit said:
Kitteh doesn't seem to mind. :twisted:

My Phantom's name is Leela's Torment. Leela is my cat.

I think she wants to like it, she'll stalk it from the porch when I'm flying in the back yard, but if it comes within 10 feet she runs in the house.

You may net a slight gain in flight times, or at least not lose too much, due to the batt, but as for the CF props...we'll have to wait to see. Depends on which ones you got exactly and a number of other factors. I know this is probably the advice I parrot the most around here, but DJI's 9443 props for the P2 seem to be the most reliable and cost effective blades for adding flight time to the P1.

You photo with the IOSD data seems like you info is running off the screen. Have you calibrated and adjusted your iOSD or your monitor screen settings yet? That will help with that issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FangsCPO said:
You photo with the IOSD data seems like you info is running off the screen. Have you calibrated and adjusted your iOSD or your monitor screen settings yet? That will help with that issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Nah, I'm using goggles. I just hooked it up to a TV to see all its glory in 27" But yea, its running off the edge when hooked up to the TV. Seems to be fine through the goggles.

Well, initial flight time test is promising. I got warning at 11:11 and a forced landing at 11:40

This is up from my stock battery/stock prop test of 6:35 warning and 7:35 forced landing.

So, a little over 3 1/2 mins improvement.

But, my stock battery/prop test was done outside the other day with a bit of a breeze, so I'm going to retest the stock bat/props indoors in the same place to make it fair. Unless the flight condition changes anything drastically, an over 3 1/2 minute improvement from just props and a battery seems really good. This is also using stock voltage settings in NAZA...once I get a feel for ending battery voltages, I may lower them to a safe level and see how much flight time is hiding. Next test is to strap a second 2700mah off the bottom. Anyone think 15 mins is doable with 2 batteries and lower voltages? :geek:

I'll post up video comparison when I'm done.

Howzit said:

Added the following:

* FPV (250mW FatShark)
* iOSD & PMU
* Carbon props
* MadDog 2700mAh battery

13572803883_8109f2458a_c.jpg

13573110084_3958553a20_c.jpg

13572677395_786c97e552_c.jpg

Why two cameras? Why not do your view through the GoPro?? You might save a little weight.

FangsCPO said:
Why two cameras? Why not do your view through the GoPro?? You might save a little weight.

Because GoPro's can be temperamental when you really don't want them to be. I know a lot of people have good success flying through a GoPro, but there are also horror stories from when GoPros randomly shut off, battery runs out, fills up their memory cards, etc. It would also make it a bit more complex for if/when I swap out to a different camera (or use no recording camera at all).

The GoPro just adds a complex set of circuitry to the mix and a security camera is relatively dead simple. I also prefer the way the 600TVL looks when flying (I've tried both).

Either method words, tho. :)

Reproduced the same flight (indoors), but with brand new v1 props and stock battery. Got the warning at 7:20 forced landing at 7:45.

Solid 4 minute improvement with Mad Dog 2700mah and v2 props (white plastic ones, not the CF props).

I vote win. Should be the 1st mod every p1 owner does. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj