FPV info please

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a P2 and using a GoPro with it. Looking to start the FPV thing but the more I look into it the more confused I get.
Still unsure of what I want to use to view with either goggles or monitor.
What I think I need and please correct me if I'm off track.
FPV monitor (lilliput looks quite a good one) or fat shark googles (unsure of which model)
A transmitter = Immersion RC 5.8Ghz (maybe?) this goes under the P2 I think.
IOSD mini = tells me info on height etc Also goes under the P2?
Is that it or do I need to buy extra batteries, cables, antenna's etc?
Really confused.
I live in UK and have been looking on firstpersonview website.

Andy

I think the 'easiest' way is to just buy the FatShark predator v2 setup - comes with what you need.

Goggles vs. monitor are just preference.

Essentially all you need to transmit video is a camera (say a 600TVL), video transmitter (fatshark 250mw, immersionRC 600mW, etc), and a receiver (fatshark goggles or stand alone receiver+monitor).

Here is everything in 1 picture (fatshark predator v2 kit) with SpiroNet antennas added:

13294534195_129725c2b6_c.jpg

Adidasandy said:
Obviously don't need a camera but that looks great, how far can you travel before comms is lost?

You can use your GoPro for FPV, but most will suggest that you use a stand alone camera for FPV use. There is just too much that can go wrong while using the GoPro. If you stay within LOS, it shouldn't be a problem - but I wouldn't trust a GoPro for outside of LOS.

I have taken my predator setup to 1km (.6 miles) so far with perfect picture. Gunna take it out a full mile once I get some more flight time capability (props and battery).

Here is my setup, but with the GoPro in the loop. You can get the appropriate GoPro 2/3 cable from readymadeRC.

13294747145_65bd836733_c.jpg

Also, that little 'square' you see to the left of the GoPro is the FatShark filter that comes with the kit. It makes it easy to hook up to a 2s/3s/4s balance lead - I'm not using it. I was just connecting the video transmitter directly to the balance lead of the battery. I've now decided to wire it directly to the board using that power lead that comes off the 1.1.1 board and to the front left leg. They say that filter it should improve video by eliminating interference, but I'm not convinced it's needed.

Howzit said:
Also, that little 'square' you see to the left of the GoPro is the FatShark filter that comes with the kit. It makes it easy to hook up to a 2s/3s/4s balance lead - I'm not using it. I was just connecting the video transmitter directly to the balance lead of the battery. I've now decided to wire it directly to the board using that power lead that comes off the 1.1.1 board and to the front left leg. They say that filter it should improve video by eliminating interference, but I'm not convinced it's needed.

I've read that it has little or no benefit on a Phantom, but I haven't tested one myself. Dewey has or had one, he can probably provide some feedback on whether it really is worth the hassle.

Howzit said:

I have a Phantom 1.1.1. I just put in a gimbal and used that extra power lead to power that. Would you suggest using the balance lead to power my FPV transmitter (probably goign with the immersionrc 600mw)? Or, what are my other options of powering the transmitter?

I have the maddog 2700 and I think it might be a hassle using the balance lead to power the transmitter and pushing it in.

I own a Phantom Vision and a 350QX. I have enjoyed both very much. I am 67 years old, and I want a S1000 or an S800 EVO. As you can't take it with you, I have decided to buy one. The question becomes which one. I realize i am looking at an investment of around 10,000 dollars. Although I will use it for FPV, my main reason for buying is my fascination with the device itself

NICKO said:
I own a Phantom Vision and a 350QX. I have enjoyed both very much. I am 67 years old, and I want a S1000 or an S800 EVO. As you can't take it with you, I have decided to buy one. The question becomes which one. I realize i am looking at an investment of around 10,000 dollars. Although I will use it for FPV, my main reason for buying is my fascination with the device itself

You'll probably want your own thread for that one. I'd say get the more expensive one!

NICKO said:

We are the same age and I just got my phantom 2. When I grow up, I too, want to get the s1000. And I agree...have fun now because you can not take it with you!
Ken

Hello all. This is my first post.

I apologize in advance for my noob question.

I plan on purchasing a Phantom to help bring my video production business to the next level. I am considering a kit offered by DSLRpros. They are offering 2 kits, the more expensive of the 2 kits offers extra batteries and a FPV system. The Kit without the FPV system is about $1400 cheaper.

Im sure it would be cheaper to purchase a FPV kit separately. Im just wondering how hard is it to set up. Would I have to extremely hack/modify the phantom for FPV? Thanks for your help.

Links to kit I'm considering...

Kit without FPV - http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

Kit with FPV - http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

I believe both of those kits have FPV included.

kydan said:
Howzit said:

I have a Phantom 1.1.1. I just put in a gimbal and used that extra power lead to power that. Would you suggest using the balance lead to power my FPV transmitter (probably goign with the immersionrc 600mw)? Or, what are my other options of powering the transmitter?

I have the maddog 2700 and I think it might be a hassle using the balance lead to power the transmitter and pushing it in.

Bump for my question otherwise I might start my own thread! :lol:

kydan said:
kydan said:
Howzit said:

Bump for my question otherwise I might start my own thread! :lol:

Just post in the non-specific thread at the top of General Discussion to make sure it really gets ignored :D

You can power it however you want really...you can run a splitter off the aux power lead to the gimbal, or you can just give it a dedicated feed from the balance tap on the battery. If you have the upgrade board on your 1.1.1, I believe you can also run a power tap off the 6-pin port on the board that's normally used to connect to the DJI's FPV Tx (AVL58). I think the 1st method would be the simplest though...but it's totally up to your installation needs/preferences.

OI Photography said:
You can power it however you want really...you can run a splitter off the aux power lead to the gimbal

I vote this. Power both the gimbal and vtx from the same source. Open up the case and run the split inside for a clean install

Thank you both! ;-) one less thread to read thru!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers