FPV in the US?

Reaction score
I was looking at getting into an FPV system when I came across a disclaimer that states you don't need a license in the US to buy FPV but you need a license to use it. I see allot of posts about FPV and I am just wondering if this license is something I need or don't need?

I would hate to spend hundreds of dollars on something that I can't use.

In the U.S., 2.5GHz transmitters are legal without a license up to 10mw power; 5.8GHz systems up to 25mw without a license.

Beyond that, a minimum of a Technician-class amateur radio license is required from the FCC. Easy to get, which is why it's amazing so many people operate illegally.

Here is one of many sites offering online training at a reasonable price:
http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

Good luck!

MrMediaGuy said:
In the U.S., 2.5gHz transmitters are legal without a license up to 10mw power; 5.8gHz systems up to 25mw without a license.

Beyond that, a minimum of a Technician-class amateur radio license is required from the FCC. Easy to get, which is why it's amazing so many people operate illegally.

Here is one of many sites offering online training at a reasonable price:
http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

Good luck!

Operating illegally is just flat out stupid. The people that do it are messing with the Feds, those guys don't play around when they are open for business.

requiring a license to use FPV seems about as absurd as requiring a license to use a cordless phone, can't quite see what knowledge I could learn that would make me more qualified to use it than anyone else.

But I'd say it's safe to assume that very few people are licensed, or are even aware that a license is necessary. or if anyone really cares (enough to enforce it)

from what I understand of it. the reason the license is required is because the band that we use for FPV were give to the amateur radio operators. basically is on there frequency range.

kinda wish I wouldn't have let my license expire.

but the posts are correct it isn't hard to get a license, the test is or at least was easy about 18 years ago, and from what I have heard its even easier now.

only problem is the government being shut down is going to cause a major delay.

I made a few calls this after noon after I posted the question here. think I missed my grace period for renewing my license so i will have to take it over again. Never thought I would use it again, guess i should have given the 7 bucks and got it renewed. would have saved me allot of problems.

High powered radio waves are best left in the hands of radiologists!

A place I used to work at put me thru a 4 hour course on how to install and use a particular brand of long range communication system made for four wheel drives etc, the moral of the 4 hour course, don't transmit if someone is within 2m of the antenna (and install the antenna as high as practically possible) otherwise you may cause them to be sterile, deep tissue damage, or even tumours/cancers!

I was like WTF!!!

Driffill said:

A place I used to work at put me thru a 4 hour course on how to install and use a particular brand of long range communication system made for four wheel drives etc, the moral of the 4 hour course, don't transmit if someone is within 2m of the antenna (and install the antenna as high as practically possible) otherwise you may cause them to be sterile, deep tissue damage, or even tumours/cancers!

I was like WTF!!!

If you didn't know that standing in front of a long range Comms transmitter would do that I suspect a 4 hour course wasn't nearly enough for you.

Driffill said:

I was like WTF!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like they need a course in basic physics. Radio causing cancer, no. X-rays and Gamma rays yes.

If you are really luck the Gamma rays turn you into the Hulk.

These are the antennas I used to install for Victoria police (http://www.codanradio.com/product/9350-vehicle-whip/) I can't find any safety sheet for these online.

But I did find this :)
http://hps.org/hpspublications/articles ... ation.html

7upaje4e.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20