FPV gone after changing to NPVT581 transmitter

I have received the iPod Touch 5th generation. This is one of the recommended devices on IOS. It came with 9.something - whatever the latest is. I tried going back to 8.4 but that also failed. Anyway

I still have to FPV. On the iPod after clicking on camera, the "curser" just goes round and round and round. I have rebound the Range Extender. Neither transmitter gives me a picture any more on either the iPod Touch or on my S6 Edge Android.

So now what do I do? I guess letting it sit for 6 months over the winter is not a good thing!!!

I know - upgrade to the Phantom 4 - right!!!!!!!! Thanks //Bill

Ok Bill
Diagnostic time!
Do you have a android device? If so download ( InSSIDer ) app.

First with camera turned to wifi, turn ONLY the phantom on with camera set to wifi on, open app, see if you see a ( 2.4ghz ) signal ( like this 60:60:1f:??:??:?? ) should see it, and strength should be spiked ( very strong signal ) if no signal ( camera wifi board is bad ) if you get a signal, turn off bird , and only turn on extender, you should see ( 60:60:1f:??:??:?? ) but a different last 6 digits than camera. Also write these numbers down, if no signal with extender ( extender is bad ) if both work, make sure you device is hooked to extender wifi ( correct numbers ) and make sure you are using the correct camera Mac numbers as well ( the ?'s are you Mac addy. )

Let us know your findings

J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
I have my Galaxy S6 and I do have a WiFi analyzer installed (use it at work), just not the $10.00 one you suggested.
With the Range extender only on, I saw Phantom_6140FA. Ch 9 2452 MHz and -32 dBM It would blink and then show the MAC and then the name, but the signal was always there.
Just the camera on I saw the 60.60 address, again Ch 9 and 2452 MHz. This one was -30 dBM and then dropped off and came right back at -54 dBM. It looks almost like a pulse - big spike, gone, big spike, gone . . . . The RE was steady with the dBM numbers changing - 32, -52, -50.
So IF the camera is supposed to pulse, I'm good? If not, I'm not so good? I also noticed yesterday with the transmitter on, if I tried to move the camera up too far, I would get a gimbal warning (had not seen that before) and once it was just moving around with a gimbal error, but I turned it off and then back on and it did not happen again.
I hate those kinds of problems - I tell my customers (school teachers mostly) "Well, it works for me" and always with a smile!

OK, so now what Sir? Thank you for the help - I'm really frustrated right now! //Bill

Aw crap,
I sent you the wrong instruction ( sorry ) that was diagnostic for vision egg camera ( original fc200 ). I was helping several people and got them jumbled!

Ok
Let's start over
First
We need to see if your wifi module is working:
Steps:
You'll need to open your phantom, locate your wifi module ( silver rectangle box next to naza m unit. May or may not have ( several tiny holes punched in casing ) v2 no holes, v3 holes. Ok, on the wifi module there are 3 connection points, 2 are small connectors down the side, but 1 is larger and on end opposite antennas. We want the LARGEST ONE. You'll need to remove your gimbal and base plate from phantom you'll see 3 sets of wires, one has a clip and 4 pins, other is a 6 pin, other is a 8 pin with only 6 wires inserted, we want the 6 pin wire ( the same wire that plugs into end of wifi board ) you'll need to remove the USB port rubber cover, just pull it out, next you'll need to remove the 2 tiny Phillips screws holding USB port in place, gently pull USB port and white plastic sleeve loose from craft, reroute 6 pin wire back up to ( CAM PORT ) on phantom main board, right next to the wifi end plug, the cam port already has a wire installed, just GENTLY unplug it ( if it has caulking on it, trim with razor knife first ) then unplug it, now plug the 6 pin ( we rerouted ) to CAM PORT, ( unplug the wire from RF BOARD TO ZENMUSE PORT )( white flat wire 8 port ( either end is fine Zenmuse port or at RF board) )this will disable the camera/gimbal, now turn on bird ( BE CAREFUL AS USB IS LOOSE INSIDE, SO GENTLY INSERT BATTERY ( moving USB aside if needed ) SO YOU DONT BREAK ANYTHING! With ONLY bird on test with analyzer for signal ( 60:60:1f:??:??:?? ) gimmick . If you have a signal ( not a very strong signal I might add ) Then your Wifi module is good, and your camera mainboard is most likely toast. It is ONLY ever 3 things ( if your wifi just quit without a crash )
1) wifi module burnout
2) Gimbal mainboard burnout
3) Ribbon cable failure

If you crashed then wiring, connectors, camera board, even phantom main board cam port burnout. So if module and ribbon are good, the mainboard is most likely fried! You can find them but they are pricey! Cheapest I found ( guaranteed to work ) $175 us. But have seen them go as low as $100 OBO, on eBay but they go QUICK! ( and usually AS IS ) so if it don't work, you have an expensive paper weight!

Let us know, and sorry for confusion earlier!

Ps take close attention to wire order out bottom of phantom ( take pics if needed ) how they are routed, and where they go, if they don't go back exactly the same you will hate life!
Gimbal will not plug in wires too short! Lol only add because it happens to me still, not paying attention and crap, now you got to take it all back apart, sucks! Just don't want that to happen to you!

J Dot

Really? Might just have to send it in for service then. Will think about this. Is there a link for how to take this apart? Did not see any diagrams in the user manual.
Lots of screws but not sure which is what. I did take a laptop apart, but had step by step directions and it did go back together and work!
Will post again after decision or have gotten brave enough to take apart. Thanks. //Bill

I assumed Bill had a P2V too, because the thread title says he changed to a NPVT... and the original was a PVT... transmitter. I didn't know you could buy a P2V+ with a PVT... transmitter...

Hey Bill
You can bypass all that I told you above if you buy a new cable set, and use the new cable as a jumper ( temporarily ) but they are $20-25 us.
Problem is most don't have or don't want to spend money on stuff . So if you want to do it for free you'll have to take it apart. If you give me some time today I'll see if I can locate a YouTube video on this procedure? If not I'll make one. Seems like a lot but it TRUELY is pretty easy, wish you were closer I have tons of those wires , do you have a local hobby , buddy, or repair shop that could loan you the wire needed?

J Dot

Thanks Jerry. I was just surprised you said to take it all apart to check a WiFi module. Not trying to be a smart a$$, why test this way? Disconnecting the plugs isolates something better than just turning on the bird and look at the signal? Curious is all.

I've had the helicopters all apart, (TRex 450, Belt CP 450, but I cannot fly those!) and the Phantom was bought used from E-bay. I have never crashed it and the guy said it was never crashed but. . . . . All I had read on how easy it is to fly and "look Ma, No Hands" was true. Last June I flew and took video of the Oregon Good Sam Club big state event, Samboree. After that, time just seemed to get away, then it was winter, rainy or windy. I had been watching the new transmitter for quite a while, remembering how I had to move the camera thru the app and thinking this would be so much easier with that little wheel, finger is already right there! So I bought it and now we are here!
It sat in the back pack I bought for it, thinking it was going when we went camping so I could see down into the canyons and better views from above.

I need to get the white balloon things (forgot what they're called) for the gimbals and the plastic plug things anyway. One of the washers holding the pin in is missing. I also notice the rubber is cracked, will soon come apart. I've seen those as sets and I think they had the wiring set too, but either way, I will get a wiring set.
I wish there was someone around here that flies. I had talked to some other pilots, looking for some training help with the helicopters - and no one wanted to help out. I really appreciate your time Jerry. Thanks. //Bill

Hey Bill
I also am an aspiring heli pilot I fly an axe cp, and a wltoys v977! The 977 is the best I've flown. Has choice of 3axis or 6axis gyro, full 3D capable and under $100. I'm not inverted yet, still training tail forward. Wish you were closer I'd be glad to diagnose your phantom, and provide heli tips!

The reason the plus is different
Is for several reasons. The plus draws power from the ZUNMUSE port through the RF board, then to GIMBAL, then back up to WIFI MODULE! So as you see QUITE A TRIP! As the camera egg vision non plus ( everything is internal ) no bypass.

So this being said
Since the power passes through the gimbal ( assuming the gimbal board might be faulty? ) this can Potentially cause a power failure to wifi module and give you a false reading, so rerouting that wire and plugging it into direct power from the CAM PORT, this powers up the wifi module directly, and you should get a signal in your analyzer, but not a very strong one, but solid NOT SPIKING OR CUTTING OUT. If in fact you get the signal, than SADLY, your gimbal board is most likely toast!

Hope this helps!

J Dot

Also wanting to add
If you get that cable set, just use new wire as the jumper from wifi module to cam port, without bypassing anything!

J Dot

Also wanting to add
If you get that cable set, just use new wire as the jumper from wifi module to cam port, without bypassing anything!

J Dot
Ok. Now that all makes sense. Thank you. I was looking at Media on this forum and it has pictures of the insides. Not sure if it is a Vision 2 plus or not, but I did see the different plugs and a single wire going to the WiFi I think.
I had bought the Belt with the hopes of getting some pics of our property. I have the camera and all. I could never get it to hover! All the videos showed the quick jerky, up side down stuff when all I wanted was simple normal flight. I thought because it was a Belt, that might be the problem, so bought the Align Trex 450 . I did get it off the ground once with training gear about 3 feet long, but still could never get it to hold position! The Phantom is awesome and I can fly it!
And, yes, you are a bit far for a weekend visit! But thank you. Bill

Bill
A bit of advice for heli
I tried the training gear gimmick ( sucked ) I found it is better to just give it hell. If you have any extra cash, seriously look into the 977, if it does wreck, you'll loose either a tail rotor prop or main gear ( $2 repair ) GREAT to learn on!

But first
If you ARE serious about it, learn orientation on phantom first! Learn to fly front forward, then left forward then right forward, then finally tail forward! This will help you 1,000,000 fold!

If you ever want to fly heli PROPERLY, you'll need to FIRST learn orientation! A year on my phantom helped me to be able to fly heli ( non inverted ) with heli I found the more easy I went only led to failure, finally one day I just said screw it, took off training gear took her up about 15 feet, took me a bit to get hover stable, but got it mad a few passes ( slow ones ) honestly scared me s but, so I ordered the 977, it is 100x easier to fly, shoot almost flies itself, as I've been learning on it, now I'm pretty good with the axe. Once I go inverted and get good, going to buy a turbine powered heli! ALWAYS WANTED ONE! If you have ever seen one live, you'll know what I mean! They sound and look real!
I know OFF TOPIC! sorry @dirkclod

J Dot

Well, I just found and ordered the WiFi module. I had found several YouTube videos on swapping the module and of course what screws need to come out to get the top off.
Will let you know what happens after I get it changed out. Thank you. // Bill

Took a short vacation - So I got an email from PayPal saying my money had been refunded. It looks like the web site I ordered from has changed but their site redirection did/is not working! And of course the WiFi module is Not in Stock!! Thoughts on where to buy the #3 part?

I also read that if I can ping 192.168.1.1 and .2 but NOT .10 then the bottom board(?) is gone? I can get the signal, but not sure how to ping from my phone or iPad. Should I use the laptop and attach to the Phantom WiFi to ping? OK CAN my laptop connect to the Phantom WiFi.

DJI says to send it to Service Center in CA for Diags and Repairs. Thoughts on this option? Maybe just a Phantom 4? Thank you. //Bill

I also see from this forum, I'm no the only ne with this issue!!

Did you get your cable set yet?
Try member ( Hunch ) I think he had 1 or 2 of them Friday! If not I have another friend that will have 1 for around $120. Hunch might be cheaper? Anyhow I'd try the bypass first, just in case it is not your module! That $120 could be a new camera board if needed. I went through same thing replaced EVERYTHING, only to find out my gimbal mainboard was bad! Spent more on repairs than just to buy a new one. Now I use a working unit to test all my stuff ( no more spending uselessly! ) if that's a word? Lol.
Yeah I make stuff up sometimes!

But as for the PINGS, I'm unfamiliar with that? Maybe someone else can fill us in on that?

Keep us informed!

Jerry

Well, I was going for the module and forgot about the cable set honestly. Will try to find them and get it ordered.

Oh Boy!! - Sorry - Now I'm more confused! Part #03, 09 or 22? Please Sir. . . .
As far as the ping, one is the camera the other is the extender and .10 is the third something (can't remember right now) but all three addresses need to talk (ping) or things just don't work or something like that.

I would really just like to see where I'm going! know any magic spells? Thank you. //Bill

Yeah,
There are a few diagnostic tricks, there are only a few things it could be.
1) wiring ( faulty wire and or connector )
2) RF board ( but if your gimbal is powering up ) than it is good ( this is the small circuit board connected to ZENMUSE connector inside phantom craft )
3) camera/gimbal ( this can be 3 things )
A) gimbal mainboard ( most likely )
B) ribbon cable ( unlikely with no crash )
C) camera board ( the board inside camera itself ( rare this burns out ))

So wifi unit and gimbal board would be where I'd look first.

First try the bypass to test wifi unit if that works, try swapping wiring kits ( as you'll have it already ) if still no FPV than gimbal board is toast ( and most likely the problem ) as last 4 I fixed have been all 4 gimbal boards. That update burns them somehow?
Or possibly reprogram a them like you said but either way requires replacing to fix! Or if someone finds a way to reprogram them back? If that is the problem?

I'll look deeper into the old fc200 egg I got with something fried due to update! Maybe I can find something?

J Dot

Thank you. Do you know the Part I should be looking for? Wiring that is. I've found #3, #9 and #22 but don't know which one I should get. Thanks /Bill

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl