FPV goggle options?

Reaction score
Just got my vision and loving it, Ive not had any wifi signal issues and have gone WELL beyond the suggested range for wifi. With that said Id like to get some FPV goggles. I assume Id still use my iphone, but use video out and port it to the glasses. It appears to work in theory, but I cant find anyone that has any experience with it. Really dont want to drop $400.00 for some glasses that wont end up working. Any advise is greatly appreciated =)

An Android user is also very interested in attaching a fat shark to the Vision. I too assume that it will incorporate the video out of the phone. I guess the main issue is finding the right means of connecting the phone to the goggles.

Any thoughts?

Fatshark goggles don't have any video-in options
nor do they connect to the Vision Tx , so your only option is to look for other goggles that might have video-in (wonder if Google Glass's might work as well?)

Isn't there a 4 to 5 second delay between real time and when the image appears on the iphone? Outputting that to a pair of goggles would seem to be a recipe for disaster, unless you are just hovering LOS in unobstructed air. For true FPV, this just doesn't sound practical.

Sac D said:
Isn't there a 4 to 5 second delay between real time and when the image appears on the iphone? Outputting that to a pair of goggles would seem to be a recipe for disaster, unless you are just hovering LOS in unobstructed air. For true FPV, this just doesn't sound practical.

Delay is way less than half a second on mine...

Sac D said:

Yea the delay is really small, Ive flown it strictly off my iphones screen with no issues (outside of the small iphone screen)

Tried using my ipad which does work, but since the app isnt optimized for the ipad its screen size is not proportional to the screen and since it blows it up the image is severely pixelated. Also there's no way to efficiently hold the ipad and controller simultaneously. I tried to use a mount to attach it to the controller, but then its super top heavy and is hard to hold and operate. They make some weird vest that holds the ipad on your chest so you can see it and have your hands free, but it looks ridiculous and having my head straight facing down is super uncomfortable for long periods of time.

These for example just plug in the iphone and act as video out. This seems too easy!
The good news only about £ 80

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3,367
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 3,376
That looks good for the i phone. . . I have the new Samsung S 3 coming tomorrow and I'm working on something that will tether off of that. So far it looks like it has 3.5mm video out and the Fatshark 'Base" has a video in. So with that I'm going to try 3.5mm out of the Samsung to RCA and then a barrel connector to the RCA for the Fatshark video in.

From what I've read, (haven't been able to try yet) the 3.5mm to RCA out of the Samsung is carrying the video signal on the Red lead and not the yellow as you would expect. When I am able to confirm a good video out, I'll take the next step and order the Fatshark "Base" which also appears like it may have a 3.5mm video in already on the end of their cable along with the RCA.

Will update as I experiment with this.

Going to try these ones out. Aside from being very compact, they claim to have Apple lightning interface compatibility.

iTVGoggles model WV3Dxi which is their flagship (translation:expensive) set of goggles. Nice thing is how elegant and compact they are.

I suspect you may have to get apple lightning to HDMI adapter and from there, right into the goggles as they at least have the HDMI port. But I am hoping direct lightning data compatibility.

Regardless, the apple lightning to HDMI adapter is pretty much a cable with the decoder molded into the HDMI end that is not too much larger than the HDMI plug itself and is powered from the phone. So no external box or yet another thing to have a battery which is nice.

So this appears to be the cleanest interface so far for the Phantom 2 Vision using an iPhone to a set of goggles with an adapter that is pretty much a clean cable. But at $600.00, they are not cheap.

Sac D said:

When you're in good wifi reception range their is very little lag the movement is nearly instant. Though the lower the resolution setting for the "preview" the quality, the more 1 to 1 the video display looks. Tho even at 640 by 480 15fps it's still very good tho not as smooth. And certainly no 4 to 5 second delay unless you're experiencing wifi reception issues at the time.

Gavin are you still going to get the iTVGoggles

GavinCurtis said:
Going to try these ones out. Aside from being very compact, they claim to have Apple lightning interface compatibility.

iTVGoggles model WV3Dxi which is their flagship (translation:expensive) set of goggles. Nice thing is how elegant and compact they are.

I suspect you may have to get apple lightning to HDMI adapter and from there, right into the goggles as they at least have the HDMI port. But I am hoping direct lightning data compatibility.

Regardless, the apple lightning to HDMI adapter is pretty much a cable with the decoder molded into the HDMI end that is not too much larger than the HDMI plug itself and is powered from the phone. So no external box or yet another thing to have a battery which is nice.

So this appears to be the cleanest interface so far for the Phantom 2 Vision using an iPhone to a set of goggles with an adapter that is pretty much a clean cable. But at $600.00, they are not cheap.

Sac D said:

I remember seeing a spec of 1/10th of 1 second delay Vision to iPhone.

athous said:
Sac D said:

Yea the delay is really small, Ive flown it strictly off my iphones screen with no issues (outside of the small iphone screen)

Tried using my ipad which does work, but since the app isnt optimized for the ipad its screen size is not proportional to the screen and since it blows it up the image is severely pixelated. Also there's no way to efficiently hold the ipad and controller simultaneously. I tried to use a mount to attach it to the controller, but then its super top heavy and is hard to hold and operate. They make some weird vest that holds the ipad on your chest so you can see it and have your hands free, but it looks ridiculous and having my head straight facing down is super uncomfortable for long periods of time.

They made a mistake on the App, which I told them about, but it was ignored. 1X and 2X are backwards on the App, so use 1X for the bigger screen. I found this out because I use the iPad Mini on my Controller. Perfect size and very light weight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic