FPV & Gimbal for Phantom 1.1.1 with easy installation

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 1.1.1 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... mount.html)

I'm looking for suggestions....

I want to add a high quality FPV (thru a monitor with an option to add goggles later if decided) and a 2 axis gimbal (edit: to support a Gopro hero 3+).

I have never soldered anything before and want it to be real easy to install after watching a few youtube videos.

What would you pick as your FPV and 2 axis gimbal setup to fit the description?

Thank you!

I can not speak to the FPV systems but I can tell you my Beholder gimbal is rock solid. Great construction and half the price of some other models. If you are looking for just a GoPro mount its the best value out there. PM me if you would like to see some video using it. I have no affiliation with TRD just like their product.

http://www.teamrebeldesign.com/2013/07/ ... i-phantom/

Phantom 1.1.1 (all firmware up-to-date)
Stock props
2700 mah battery
Beholder gimbal
GoPro Hero 3 black
floats mod

Thanks for the Beholder suggestion. I hadn't come across that gimbal before in my searches.

What other FPV and Gimbal combinations would you all recommend?

I'm sort of leaning towards the ARRIS CM2000 for a gimbal, but FPV is still a wild card

Scubableu said:
I can not speak to the FPV systems but I can tell you my Beholder gimbal is rock solid. Great construction and half the price of some other models. If you are looking for just a GoPro mount its the best value out there. PM me if you would like to see some video using it. I have no affiliation with TRD just like their product.

http://www.teamrebeldesign.com/2013/07/ ... i-phantom/

Phantom 1.1.1 (all firmware up-to-date)
Stock props
2700 mah battery
Beholder gimbal
GoPro Hero 3 black
floats mod

The 2nd most important thing when buying a gimbal for Phantom is weight. If I'm not wrong this might have the lowest weight after Zenmuse... Zenmuse with GoPro weights 230grams and beholder weights 250grams... Most gorpo gimbals weight 200+ grams without GoPro.

Well I went ahead and purchased the Beholder Lite Alexmos at cncheli for $159.99.

Now all I need is a FPV suggestion. I've looked at the Storm Deluxe, but not a big fan of the monitor. Any other ideas?

What's the top of the line FPV monitor solution compared to the zenmuse standard for gimbals?

Re: FPV & Gimbal for Phantom 1.1.1 with easy installation

I bought the storm deluxe. Worked right out of the box.

I have a feiyu gimbal.... But it takes up too much space on the bottom of the gimbal. I will probably get a beholder lite as well....

Can you do me a favor !?! When u get yours and mounted on the phantom. Can u show me if there is space behind the gimbal to stick the video transmitter at the bottom of the phantom

I'd be happy to let you know once received and installed. I'll include pics as well.

Anyone else with FPV recommendations?

Re: FPV & Gimbal for Phantom 1.1.1 with easy installation

I just checked with beholder... They say that it will take up the whole space at the bottom of the phantom 1. They did say that they usually stick the video transmitter at the battery compartment. I dun understand if they mean the battery cover or the inside the phantom itself.... :|

Oh okay. Sorry for that solution might not work. I'll still post a pic when it's done.

Anyone else with a high quality FPV monitor solution for a Phantom 1.1.1??

I don't think there is an easy install for any FPV on the 1.1.1. There will always be something involved with taking the lid off and getting power to the transmitter.

My FPV setup is this...
Immersion RC 600mw Transmitter
Immersion RC DUO V2 Reciever (I think the v3 is out now and I can't find the v2 anymore)
Immersion RC Patch Antenna
Immersion RC Spironet Antenna pair (one for phantom, one for DUO diversity)
Feelworld Monitor 7" Monitor ($100 on eBay from US Seller in Cali) (wired to a 3s 2200mah batter along with DUO)
Tarot Gimbal 2axis w/tilt (want the arriss 3000 someday)
GoPro 3+ Black

This is the picture that the forum cut off... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/ ... 0fqfi8.jpg

6B84CD7C-57F9-46B7-8435-44D5AD2A968E_zpsjlrwelcs.jpg

7ED2C006-6041-4080-AD54-B58FF8FD2613_zps0q0fqfi8.jpg

7D081112-DDB4-44E6-8757-473F5AE51457_zpsvfgyjdkw.jpg

Thanks Boozshey. I'll add up the cost and see if it's an option.

Are you satisfied with the Feelworld Monitor? I want a monitor with high quality that doesn't drain out in sunlight. I also hear people talking about blue screen, but not sure what that means as far as quality is concerned (will google!)

i am quite intrigue by the immersion RC system... can the video transmitter be mounted inside the phantom 1?

hellhole said:
i am quite intrigue by the immersion RC system... can the video transmitter be mounted inside the phantom 1?

I think we'd rather have that outside to get more distance?

I think I've settled down on most FPV gear:
Immersion RC 600mw Transmitter
Immersion RC DUO V2/3 Receiver
Immersion RC Patch Antenna
Immersion RC Spironet Antenna pair (one for phantom, one for DUO diversity)

per the post above.

However, my main hesitation is the FPV monitor. I want a 7" one that has the best viewing out in the open sun. I thought I was going to do the Black Pearl, but I saw a youtube video outside comparing the Black Pearl to the Boscam (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjytwIN0s40).

The Boscam did look brighter outside which is most important to me. I'm just having a problem finding a good vendor.

Thoughts on where to buy the Boscam or a better alternative to the Boscam?

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see the email of a new post.

Anyways, for $100 I can't complain about the feelworld. Any LCD is going to get washed out in direct sun. I honestly don't see myself upgrading this monitor. I always have the sunscreen on it for two reasons. One, I mount my patch antenna to and it puts it at the correct angle for reception. Two cause you can't really see without a sunscreen.

If you look around the web at images of ground stations, there are always sunscreens. As far as image quality, the image being transmitted isn't super hd so why waste my money on a super picture perfect color correct screen?

I can see enough detail to know what I'm filming/looking at and that it's in frame. The quality is always going to be on the gopro sd card, not on a dvr or the screen. So again, a crystal clear and marginally brighter screen seems like money wasted. But I'm a bang for the buck kind of guy.

I would like to try goggles sometime, but until I get someone local that will let me try them I don't want to waste $300 and end up not liking them.

Hope this helped.

Oh blue screen basically is when you lose signal or get a grainy signal to the LCD it goes blue and then a sec later will shut off. This one does it also but not until after at least 30sec+. It will flicker from low quality and give you white noise before that happens. But several will get a weak signal not give white noise blue screen and shut off.

This doesn't have that problem and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. The one annoying thing is that you can't change the setting of the monitor unless it has a signal. So in my case it was set to PAL and not NTSC. So luckily I had somewhat of a picture and was able to access the menu. But if you choose the wrong setting you will have to find a video source to give the LCD I order for it to let you access the menu. But you only have to do that once. It saves the settings even after power off.

As for powering it, I just use a 3s 2200mha battery. It powers the LCD and the uno receiver. It last longer than the flight time I have total between all my batteries anyways so it seems to work as a good solution.

Let me know of you have anymore questions.

Thanks Boozshey!

Just ordered the Boscam RX-LCD5802 ($169.99 on ebay with battery and charger), immersion RC 600 mw, patch antenna, and the sprionet antenna pair (all 3 immersion items from hobbyking for basically no deal at MSRP).

Unfortunately I have to wait until they arrive from China, but I'm very excited! I'm still fine tuning my gimbal. It gets some vibration when I really thrust the phantom off into the sunset.

Good times ahead.

Can someone move this to the Phantom 1 thread? I'm going to add some stuff here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20