FPV (first person view) options for Phantom Vision

Reaction score
FPV (first person view) options for Phantom Vision

What is everyone’s experience with what works best for Phantom Vision FPV (first person view)?

I have an iPhone 4 that is not supported, so I have major video delays and video get stuck.

I’m thinking of upgrading to a tablet as the status icons seem really small for me to see (wifi, battery, satellite, radar, ect…)

Has anyone hooked up video goggles to the Phantom Vision yet? If so, what are you using and how is it done?

Phantom user manual lists the following:
Supported mobile devices iOS (iOS6 or above)
Recommended: iPhone4s, iPhone5, iPhone5s, iPhone5C, iPod Touch4, iPod Touch5; Available but not recommended: iPAD3, iPAD4, iPAD mini.
Android (System 4.0 or above) Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note2, Note3 or mobile devices of similar configuration.

Hi akilakis,

I'm just using my iPhone 4s at the moment. I'm not getting any noticeable delay in the video signal and it fits well on the holder and doesn't make things too bulky.

The icons are a bit small, particularly if you need reading glasses, but to be honest I don't really need to look at them. I tend not to fly if the PV can't get satellite lock (hasn't happened yet) so don't really care how many it gets; I know there is always an SD card in the camera so that one is pointless; there isn't anything I can do about the wifi signal strength, so I don't need that one either; and the battery percentage warning alarm lets me know when I need to return to home, so that one doesn't bother me either.

Having said all that, I do occasionally look at the battery percentage; just for reassurance more than anything else. The furthest I've been able to fly the PV before losing FPV connection is 1347 ft altitude and 1093 ft distance. So even if I allowed my battery to drop to 20% I'd still have enough to get back when the alarm sounds.

Ipad mini works well, as do a lot of android note sized devices and tablets.

Some folK are using Zeiss Cinemizer goggles, hooked up to the ipad / iphone hdmi out adapter, then mini hdmi cable to the goggles.

Geert said:
Hi,

I have my PV 2 weeks now. At first i used my iPhone 5 but i had sometimes problems to read the battery indicator etc. on my iPhone . À normal iPad was too big and too heavy, so today i bought an iPad mini. I had 2 flight with it already and it is perfect for me. ;)

What kind of rig are you using to attach the iPad mini to the TX? I'm thinking about picking one up too. Is that a retina screen model? Is it WiFi only?

<----------- fulla questions...

-slinger

I'm using an iPhone 3 (no longer being used as a phone- just for this use). After updating ios, it works very well, no problems. Initially had trouble with connection, but that went away completely after updating.

I'm using a Moto X. I was concerned about using it in bright sunshine, but I cranked the brightness up all the way and had no problem seeing the screen. It has to sit a little off-center in the bracket so that the clip doesn't close on the volume buttons, but it feels secure.

Even though the screen is visible in the sun, I bought the Diffcase Sun Shade which is designed for the iPhone 5. It just sits on the side of the iPhone. My Moto x is much thinner so it doesn't sit well on it. And, even if it fit, it would fall off too easily while moving the remote. But, I think it would be a simple matter to attach the shade to a case that fits the Moto X making a sun shade that I can slip on and off my phone.

I didn't really fly the PV using the FPV. But, the FPV system with the Moto X worked fine for seeing what the camera would record and for controlling the camera.

-- Roger

Hi mitchsden,

How have you attached the mini to the stock clamp? Looks like a fairly simple job and I like that you are still using the original part to attach it.

Cheers

Thinking of getting a mini for this. I have a iPad one but it Will not work since it a iPad 1. Probally get the cheapest mini , really don't think I need the retina screen. My iPad 1 doesn't have it and the screen seems fine to me.

I would like to use my ipad air. How do you get the DJI app to work on an ipad? It works great on my iphone 5 but I dont see the app as an option for the ipad. Thanks!

Phoskins23 said:
I would like to use my ipad air. How do you get the DJI app to work on an ipad? It works great on my iphone 5 but I dont see the app as an option for the ipad. Thanks!

On your ipad In the App Store you have the option to choose ipad only apps or iPhone apps you need to look at iPhone apps

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl