FPV experiences with P3S

Reaction score
Hi

I'm thinking in buying some "cheap" VR glasses (I read about Blitzwolf at amazon for less than 30€) and try FPV with Litchi and an iPhone 6 or a LG G2 (it's a 5.2" screen). Is it worth the experience? It is quite a cheap setup so I think it's worth the "investment".

You do know that you're going to need a 3rd party app with the Standard, like Litchi.

Yep, I read Litch is able to go into VR mode so I will probably try with it
Just do yourself a favor and read the disclaimer about the P3S on their site. It's under the "Help" tab. VERY IMPORTANT when using Litchi in VR mode with the Standard.

Just do yourself a favor and read the disclaimer about the P3S on their site. It's under the "Help" tab. VERY IMPORTANT when using Litchi in VR mode with the Standard.

I read it but I don't see what is specially important for P3S and VR mode, can you give me some hint? Thanks

I read it but I don't see what is specially important for P3S and VR mode, can you give me some hint? Thanks
When in VR mode and in either immersion or joystick sub mode, plus some other modes the Standard will NOT do a RTH if control signal is last. But hover instead.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

When in VR mode and in either immersion or joystick sub mode, plus some other modes the Standard will NOT do a RTH if control signal is last. But hover instead.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi

I tried today VR with Litchi, very nice! You feel a bit unsafe but flying with a certain altitude and in a well known place should be ok. Basically you see everything much better than looking at your smartphone under sunlight and it feels quite a bit like flying from inside (specially nice moving the gimbal up/down just with your head).

Wmcvey, I can't find anything like that on online or PDF Litchi help, can you please show me where to find it? Today I was flying at regular P mode and lost RC signal and it just did a regular RTH, so I would like to understand when it will not launch RTH. Thank you.

Hi

I tried today VR with Litchi, very nice! You feel a bit unsafe but flying with a certain altitude and in a well known place should be ok. Basically you see everything much better than looking at your smartphone under sunlight and it feels quite a bit like flying from inside (specially nice moving the gimbal up/down just with your head).

Wmcvey, I can't find anything like that on online or PDF Litchi help, can you please show me where to find it? Today I was flying at regular P mode and lost RC signal and it just did a regular RTH, so I would like to understand when it will not launch RTH. Thank you.
Here you go, cut and pasted from their site.
And what you were doing in your post fits into this warning, if you had lost RC signal lock it would NOT have done a RTH.

"Warning, When using a Phantom 3 Standard or Phantom 3 4K (not to be confused with Phantom 3 Pro), be aware that the aircraft will not return to home automatically if signal is lost while Litchi has some or all control of the aircraft, it will hover instead. The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track. All other aircraft models and flight modes are unaffected by this issue."

Here you go, cut and pasted from their site.
And what you were doing in your post fits into this warning, if you had lost RC signal lock it would NOT have done a RTH.

"Warning, When using a Phantom 3 Standard or Phantom 3 4K (not to be confused with Phantom 3 Pro), be aware that the aircraft will not return to home automatically if signal is lost while Litchi has some or all control of the aircraft, it will hover instead. The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track. All other aircraft models and flight modes are unaffected by this issue."

Thank you very much, I didn't realize of that quote. I understand controlling the camera with my head should fit under "joystick head tracking" but if so, why did it do (thankfully) RTH my P3S today? I didn't try with the RC (several times moving S2 toggle), it just came back to me

Thank you very much, I didn't realize of that quote. I understand controlling the camera with my head should fit under "joystick head tracking" but if so, why did it do (thankfully) RTH my P3S today? I didn't try with the RC (several times moving S2 toggle), it just came back to me
RTH how? If you didn't use the S2 switch, was it because of low battery level.

Nope, no low battery level yet for sure... :-? Maybe they just improved that on Litchi and didn't report?
Are you saying it did a RTH because of RC signal loss ?

Are you saying it did a RTH because of RC signal loss ?

It did a RTH having enough battery so they only reason I can think of doing a RTH must be signal loss (and it was quite far away from me when it did it).

It did a RTH having enough battery so they only reason I can think of doing a RTH must be signal loss (and it was quite far away from me when it did it).
I have Litchi as well but have only used it for Waypoints and FPV (manual) flight, not VR yet. Question, have you been using the goggles from takeoff to landing? Because since we have the Standard and it uses wifi to connect the device, we can only have one device connected at a time and that would mean no device on the RC to look at or use.

Nope, no low battery level yet for sure... :-? Maybe they just improved that on Litchi and didn't report?
Agreed, if that happened the way you said, with one slight change. Back when I first looked into this I sent a email to Litchi and their reply was it was all about DJI FW and there was no update or anything they could do about it. That DJI had to fix the error in it's FW with the Standard, but it's been awhile since the P3S had a update to it's FW. What FW is your AC on ?

Agreed, if that happened the way you said, with one slight change. Back when I first looked into this I sent a email to Litchi and their reply was it was all about DJI FW and there was no update or anything they could do about it. That DJI had to fix the error in it's FW with the Standard, but it's been awhile since the P3S had a update to it's FW. What FW is your AC on ?

Answering both here. I am under 1.5.7, which is not the latest fw. Maybe they realized it was their issue; if it was Dji fw,why it fails on vr mode but not in normal FPV? I don't really see why it doesn't have to work.... the only other reason is that their is something else (not battery) that launches RTH. I'm not aware of anything else.

Regarding the takeoff & landing, for takeoff I did it with Litchi takeoff button, then kept the dron still, turn on VR mode and put my googles on. For landing I just removed the googles for the very last landing movement.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj