Reaction score
FPV Newb here :shock:

I m starting a build tonight with

P2
H3-3D
Anti-Interference board
ImmersionRC 600mW
iOSD mini

Has anyone managed a super-clean install with AI board, immersionRC and canbus connector inside Phantom?
Any Cons with having ImmersionRC inside? (seems everyone is installing on outside)

Thanks guys!
Sebastian

I am still awaiting my P2 but from what i have researched and seen, the biggie from putting the immersionRC board inside is that the antenna still needs to get outside for a strong signal. This was done by drilling a hole in the side of the P2's upper case for it to pop out.

For myself, i don't care for that because 1: if you cut the hole wrong, the antenna may then stick into a prop. 2: if you cut it wrong, you now need to cut more to make it work. 3: If it is facing more upwards, wouldn't that hinder the signal since it now needs to pass through the P2?

Curious if my info is along the right track as well haha.

yea, from what i can see the 3 issues are
- antenna routing
- heat dissepation
- GPS interference

To get antenna to a good outside position, it should be easier with cloverleaf and extra-long bendable antenna leg. Or, I vaguely remember reading that people have used the hole in landing gear mount to stick antenna through, but i may be wrong.

if anything, i think the antenna should stick out the bottom, not top. you have GPS in the top cover and probably dont want to get anywhere near it with 600mW 2.4GHz. (there is an issue with P2V+, where GPS Sat count goes down when starting to record. transmitter is on the inside as well). There is a mod with aluminium tape that helps to shield GPS.

then there is heat to consider. you can buy €5 small heatsink to help dissepation, but not sure if thats enough inside phantom.

lots of 'ifs' and 'maybes' at the moment. I cant find any actual examples / guides. All parts just came in. I ll have a look inside phantom later on tonight.

I have everything except my transmitter inside the body. I don't have the immersion, I'm using the DJI AVL58, but I stuck it to the bottom behind my gimbal and away from the compass. I've been running for months with no issues, and I like have the clean look of the install. I wouldn't recommend putting the transmitter inside the body, as it is a lot more likely to cause interference. Also, 5.8Ghz does not penetrate well, so you definitely want your antenna coming out the bottom of the aircraft for better reception.

jtfarabee said:
I have everything except my transmitter inside the body. I don't have the immersion, I'm using the DJI AVL58, but I stuck it to the bottom behind my gimbal and away from the compass. I've been running for months with no issues, and I like have the clean look of the install. I wouldn't recommend putting the transmitter inside the body, as it is a lot more likely to cause interference. Also, 5.8Ghz does not penetrate well, so you definitely want your antenna coming out the bottom of the aircraft for better reception.

I have the exact same transmitter and have it mounted in the same location. This particular transmitter has an internal cooling fan. I don't think it would be a good idea to mount it internally (or any other transmitter for that matter) due to the heat they generate.

Hi - I have a Phantom 2 with zenmuse H3-3D gimbal. I recently picked up the Boscam RX-LCD8502, ImmersionRC 600mW Tx and and DJI Iosd Mini to add fpv. I also have an fpv cable to hook them all up. I've bench tested it and everything works fine.

I'm also looking at the possibility of mounting the Tx and the Iosd Mini like the phynesse. Can they be mounted inboard (under the upper cover) with an antenna extension cable to an external socket ? That way the antenna can be connected to a socket on the housing, with a cable internally to the Tx. I'd also like to bring the can-bus socket connector inboard as well as mentioned by the OP. Do-able ? Any issues with heat generation or interference from the new components ? Anyone running this kind of set-up or tried it and have actual real-life experience of it ?

Mine has everything inside, except transmitter.

phynesse & fastforward: I am going to back up the other guys in here and reiterate that it's absolutely a great idea to put everything inside the Phantom body EXCEPT the transmitter. Moving the CAN-BUS connector from the leg back up inside the body is pretty much standard procedure, it works and looks great. Simply remove the 4 tiny screws from the loops holding the connector to the leg, you can discard them and the loops. Now you'll notice there is a smaller white connector on the side of the board with the larger CAN-BUS connector. Disconnect the small white connector and then pull the cable up inside the body (the small connector will easily fit) and simply reconnect the end piece. voila!

There's a reason that transmitters have those heat sinks: they get hot and are expecting airflow to properly cool. Putting your actual transmitter up inside the body stops basically all the airflow around the transmitter and they're going to get super hot... so you run the risk (no guarantee, but an elevated risk) of burning up the transmitter AND possibly damaging other internals in the Phantom.

Ideal place for the transmitter is indeed the "belly" behind the gimbal. Some folks use 3m Dual-Lock, I personally use 3M outdoor double sided sticky tape and have never had an issue with anything coming loose. If you're super concerned about it coming loose rig a harness with wire or a few zip ties.

I am trying to do the same at the moment but am struggling with finding a cable long enough to reach from the FPV hub to the AVL58 - the one supplied is just to short.

Any suggestions greatly received as I really want the ISOD mini, FPV hub hidden inside with only the AVL58 attached on the bottom behind the gimbal.

mattyessex said:
I am trying to do the same at the moment but am struggling with finding a cable long enough to reach from the FPV hub to the AVL58 - the one supplied is just to short.

Any suggestions greatly received as I really want the ISOD mini, FPV hub hidden inside with only the AVL58 attached on the bottom behind the gimbal.

I ended up cutting my cable that goes from transmitter (tx) to the hub. I spliced in a longer length of cable using solder and heat shrink. The tx cable had 4 pins/strands, so I had to solder a total of eight connections to make the cable longer.

The other cables will work so you won't have to cut them. The hub has two gimbal cables. One is short and connected to the gimbal. One is long and connects to the circuit board in the top. I just unplugged the end from the gimbal and from the inside circuit board and ran the long cable back out to the gimbal and plugged the short end to the circuit board inside the bird. I didn't have to unplug these two gimbal cables from the hub....they stay in their current plugs on the hub.

So now my ios mini, hub, can bus are all inside and it all looks cleaner.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 589
Damon said:
Mine has everything inside, except transmitter.
QYV said:
phynesse & fastforward: Ideal place for the transmitter is indeed the "belly" behind the gimbal. Some folks use 3m Dual-Lock, I personally use 3M outdoor double sided sticky tape and have never had an issue with anything coming loose. If you're super concerned about it coming loose rig a harness with wire or a few zip ties.

Same here! Anti-Interference board, CanBus and iOSD mini all inside, everything except the ImmersionRC 600mW which is mounted on the belly with 3M double sided tape. Here's a though to consider, even with it mounted outside, it's still warm once I land. I can't imagine how much hotter it may get with it mounted internally.

I have everything inside my V1.1.1 and its fine, there is plenty air getting into the shell to provide cooling.

Havnt currently got the PMU v2 or iOSD installed, but as soon as i've got the iOSD bought, they too will be going inside. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers