FPV Booster for Vision (non-Plus) Available

Re: FPV Booster for Vision (non-Plus) Beta Testing

enterprise1 said:
Test flight for B#0.2 went about the same as my previous test. Again both boosted and stock flights went farther then what I expected. Wifi interfence in this area is usually quite variable. Generally I can only expect around 2200ft range without using amps.

-Area heavy wifi. Good LOS
-640x480 15fps
-altitude 150ft
-same path for both flights
-non-boosted 3200ft. FPV didn't return until 2800ft
-boosted 3290ft.+ FPV returned 3000ft. get n/a range on firmware 1.08 after 3300ft.
Did you add 2.4G amplifier and/or other antenna mods on RE500 during B#0.2 test? I'm very surprised you got "non-boosted 3200ft" for stock RE500.

Per my our field test of B#0.2 on stock RE500 and P2V with 640x480 15fps, it reached only 190m (623ft) non-boosted and 570m (1,870ft) after boosted. It improves about 200% FPV range.

Distance shows N/A after 3300ft is due to old version of VISION app.

PVFlyer said:
enterprise1 said:
Test flight for B#0.2 went about the same as my previous test. Again both boosted and stock flights went farther then what I expected. Wifi interfence in this area is usually quite variable. Generally I can only expect around 2200ft range without using amps.

-640x480 15fps
-altitude 150ft
-boosted 3290ft.+ FPV returned 3000ft. get n/a range on firmware 1.08 after 3300ft.
Did you add 2.4G amplifier and/or other antenna mods on RE500 during B#0.2 test? I'm very surprised you got "non-boosted 3200ft" for stock RE500.

Per my our field test of B#0.2 on stock RE500 and P2V with 640x480 15fps, it reached only 190m (623ft) non-boosted and 570m (1,870ft) after boosted. It improves about 200% FPV range.

No 2.4 amplifier used. I do have 2.4ghz 9db helix on extender and two 2.4ghz cloverleafs on bird. Even with the mod antennas and no amps in that high wifi area I couldn't get 3000ft each flight before. Think I will need to go back to complete stock setup before I can test booster app.

enterprise1 said:
PVFlyer said:
enterprise1 said:

-640x480 15fps
-altitude 150ft

No 2.4 amplifier used. I do have 2.4ghz 9db helix on extender and two 2.4ghz cloverleafs on bird. Even with the mod antennas and no amps in that high wifi area I couldn't get 3000ft each flight before. Think I will need to go back to complete stock setup before I can test booster app.
I'm a bit confused. You mentioned "Even with the mod antennas and no amps in that high wifi area I couldn't get 3000ft each flight before" but you indicated "non-boosted 3200ft". It sounds a bit contradiction. What's the difference between "non-boosted" and "mod antennas and no amps"?

You also stated "Generally I can only expect around 2200ft range without using amps"

[/quote]

You also stated "Generally I can only expect around 2200ft range without using amps"[/quote]

I thought maybe the RE500 and camera was not resetting back to stock after I turn off everything for the stock testing. Don't know why the stock range was 3200ft, maybe just one of those good days. I will remove mod antennas on RE500 and retest this weekend if weather permits.

enterprise1 said:
I thought maybe the RE500 and camera was not resetting back to stock after I turn off everything for the stock testing. Don't know why the stock range was 3200ft, maybe just one of those good days. I will remove mod antennas on RE500 and retest this weekend if weather permits.
OIC, you tested those on different days. FYI, my first field test B#0.1 went 300m non-boosted and 800m after boosted. My second field test B#0.2 on the other day went 190m non-boosted and 570m after boosted with the exact same flight path and 640x480 15fps. Theoretically, both non-boosted tests should perform the same, but the facts are 300m and 190m. If we calculate the percentage, B#0.2 is slightly better than B#0.1 though B#0.2 is with shorter range.

You may further test 640/30fps vs. 640/15fps before/after boosted. It does not need to reset everything, but only power cycle everything would clear the booster app.

Shouldn't beta testers be using a totally stock phantom and transmitter so we all have an idea what the benefits of the app are likely to be? Most of us dont have helical this and cloverleaf that bolted to our equipment!

Finally wether was better so I managed to test b#02.

Two tests have been performed. At 50 and 80m attitude, fvp 640 15fps, all bateries fully charged. Urban area with medium level of wifi saturation (Helsinki western harbor), moderate wind 5m/s. Repeater with TP link 8db omni directional antenna, phantom without any mod.
Results:
Without booster in both repetitions smooth fpv up to 320m than fpv was freezing for 1-3 secs and finally fvp lost at 500m, fpv reconected at 250m;
Boosted setup went smoothly up to 410-450m than short stage of freezing fpv and fpv lost at 500m but siglal was recovered faster approx around 350 m, so in terms of total range increase there is no big improvement but quality of the fpv transmission is higher.
I will do further testing in non urban area.
Cheers
Tomasz

tsoban said:
Finally wether was better so I managed to test b#02.

Two tests have been performed. At 50 and 80m attitude, fvp 640 15fps, all bateries fully charged. Urban area with medium level of wifi saturation (Helsinki western harbor), moderate wind 5m/s. Repeater with TP link 8db omni directional antenna, phantom without any mod.
Results:
Without booster in both repetitions smooth fpv up to 320m than fpv was freezing for 1-3 secs and finally fvp lost at 500m, fpv reconected at 250m;
Boosted setup went smoothly up to 410-450m than short stage of freezing fpv and fpv lost at 500m but siglal was recovered faster approx around 350 m, so in terms of total range increase there is no big improvement but quality of the fpv transmission is higher.
I will do further testing in non urban area.
Cheers
Tomasz
Thanks a lot for your test results. Any chance to test 640/30fps and/or stock RE500?

I did a few more tests today, settings as previously: fvp 640@15fps (I didn't see your post before flying) and basically results confirms my previous observations: medium-high interference, flying attitude 100m, without booster fpv started to drop after 300 meters to final lost around 500m. In case of boosted fight- total range was very similar but I had smooth fpv until 450m. and then at 550m connection was lost. This time reconnection wasn't so quick in both cases but probably because some wi-fi hotspot nearby. Than I was flying with booster to test general performance other than range, and I have to admit that connection seem to be much 'stronger' i.e. doesn't freeze/drop when phantom is behind small trees or other small objects- e.g. I managed (first time) to fly below the bridge and continue flight after it (normally connection was broken after the bridge). So I see big advantage even without significant range extension as I can rely more on fpv.
Following your suggestions next time I will test 640@30fps, concerning unmodified RE500 I can try if you can confirmed that boosting might affect stronger stock configuration (I don't like big 8dbi antenna so if I can get the same range without it- fine with me).

tsoban said:
I did a few more tests today, settings as previously: fvp 640@15fps (I didn't see your post before flying) and basically results confirms my previous observations: medium-high interference, flying attitude 100m, without booster fpv started to drop after 300 meters to final lost around 500m. In case of boosted fight- total range was very similar but I had smooth fpv until 450m. and then at 550m connection was lost. This time reconnection wasn't so quick in both cases but probably because some wi-fi hotspot nearby. Than I was flying with booster to test general performance other than range, and I have to admit that connection seem to be much 'stronger' i.e. doesn't freeze/drop when phantom is behind small trees or other small objects- e.g. I managed (first time) to fly below the bridge and continue flight after it (normally connection was broken after the bridge). So I see big advantage even without significant range extension as I can rely more on fpv.
Following your suggestions next time I will test 640@30fps, concerning unmodified RE500 I can try if you can confirmed that boosting might affect stronger stock configuration (I don't like big 8dbi antenna so if I can get the same range without it- fine with me).
Thanks again for your updates. It sounds very promising even it doesn't boost much range in your case, but FPV quality. Can you post a picture of your RE500?

I bet 640/30fps will drop in short range or even cannot use at all if unboosted.

Latest results:
Unmodified RE500, fpv 640@30fps, attitude 75m (rest conditions as in previous tests)
un-boosted: smooth FPV until 220m, signal lost at 295m;
boosted: smooth FPV until 265m, signal lost at 320m;
Unmodified RE500, fpv 640@15fps, attitude 75m (rest conditions as in previous tests):
un-boosted: smooth FPV until 260m, signal lost at 315m;
boosted: smooth FPV until 300m, signal lost at 340m;
In boosted setup fpv was reconnecting quicker.
Tomasz

tsoban said:
Latest results:
Unmodified RE500, fpv 640@30fps, attitude 75m (rest conditions as in previous tests)
un-boosted: smooth FPV until 220m, signal lost at 295m;
boosted: smooth FPV until 265m, signal lost at 320m;
Unmodified RE500, fpv 640@15fps, attitude 75m (rest conditions as in previous tests):
un-boosted: smooth FPV until 260m, signal lost at 315m;
boosted: smooth FPV until 300m, signal lost at 340m;
In boosted setup fpv was reconnecting quicker.
Tomasz
Thanks again for your test results. We have been waiting for results from other beta testers, and see how's the overall performance in average.

Planned on testing more yesterday but to windy. Today wife has plans. Might know weather is perfect now. lol.

I would have to agree with tsoban about boosted FPV. Video seemed better. Its a judgement call but thats the first thing I thought of when testing booster app. I want to test 640x480/30fps with booster. Past attempts to use 640x480/30fps with firmware 2.0 and Andriod apps 1.40 and 1.50 have not been good.

PVFlyer what firmware and FPV apps. are you using?

enterprise1 said:
Planned on testing more yesterday but to windy. Today wife has plans. Might know weather is perfect now. lol.

I would have to agree with tsoban about boosted FPV. Video seemed better. Its a judgement call but thats the first thing I thought of when testing booster app. I want to test 640x480/30fps with booster. Past attempts to use 640x480/30fps with firmware 2.0 and Andriod apps 1.40 and 1.50 have not been good.

PVFlyer what firmware and FPV apps. are you using?
I tested with FW 3.04 and the latest Vision app Android 1.0.52 and iOS 1.0.42.

Geert said:
Boosted :
open field
altitude : 80 meters
lost FPV at 451 meters

Not Boosted :
altitude : 80 meter
lost FPV at 652 meters

For both flights I followed the same path.
Strange, not boosted gave me a better range :?

Geert./.
Did you power cycle both Vision and RE500 between tests? What Preview Quality did you use?

Geert said:
Here are my test results.

- flight in open field
- 640x480 15fps
- altitude 50 meter
- followed the same path for both flights

without booster app I lost FPV at 343 meter
with booster app I lost FPV at 392 meter

Geert./.
You indicated 343m non-boosted earlier. May I know what's the difference between these 2 setups?

Geert said:
I don't know the difference in distance.
The first test was in Greece and this test is in Thailand.

I did power cycle the Phantom between the 2 flights but NOT the RE500.

Geert./.
OIC, the key component of P2V booster is boosting RE500. If you didn't power cycle RE500, then both 451m and 652m tests are with boosted RE500. I think it's easy to figure out if you fly the same path once more without running the booster at all. It's encouraging if you reached 652m on boosted RE500 with 640x480 15fps.

To streamline the tests, avoid inconsistency between testers and need to repeat them (like it happen to Geert) can we agree common testing protocol ( in addition to recommendations from PVFlyer from first post) I would suggest following steps: we are starting with fresh un-boosted setup (re 500 and p2v was switched off for at least 10 seconds) we are doing 1 flight, then we activating booster app. And repeating the same path. Than I would do another power cycle (at least 10sec) maybe combined with battery replacement and repeat the whole protocol again. If results are consistent than fine if not do 3 repetition and report 2 most consistent results. This will give us more confidence and hopefully help to improve the app. I know that's sound like a lot of work but trust me is needed to collect meaningful results.
Cheers Tomasz

tsoban said:
To streamline the tests, avoid incosistency between testers and need to repeat them (like it happen to Geert) can we agree common testing protocol ( in addition to recommendations from FPVflyer from first post) I would suggest following steps: we are starting with fresh unboosted setup (re 500 and p2v was switched off for at least 10 seconds) we are doing 1 flight, then we activating booster app. And repeating the same path. Than I would do another power cycle (at least 10sec) maybe combined with battery replacement and repeat the whole protocol again. If results are consistent than fine if not do 3 repetition and report 2 most consistent results. This will give us more confidence and hopefully help to improve the app. I know that's sound like a lot of work but trust me is needed to collect meaningful results.
Cheers Tomasz
Thanks for your suggestion and testing protocol, and I agree with that.

What makes it more complicated is P2V inconsistency even without booster app. Every time when we power cycle P2V/RE500, it may behave differently and randomly. I'm unsure whether you guys encounter any inconsistent issue. We are exploring a fix to this issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4