FPV Booster for Vision (non-Plus) Available

Reaction score
Android version FPV Booster for Vision (non-Plus) is available in Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... sic.vision

iOS version FPV Booster for Vision (non-Plus) is available in App Store https://itunes.apple.com/app/fpv-booste ... ?ls=1&mt=8

P2V_Booster_App.jpg

FPV Booster for Vision (non-Plus) FAQ

Q1. What’s the expected FPV range and Preview Quality after boosted?
We tested FPV Booster for Vision with complete stock (un-modded) Vision aircraft and RE500 repeater. It reached around 300m (640x480 15fps) before boosted in open area. It's pretty much the same FPV range per DJI's specification. After BOOSTED, it achieved 800m (640x480 15fps) in the same area with the same flight path. We are pretty satisfied with 160% FPV range improvement. It may also help the highest 640x480 30fps Preview Quality, though FPV range would be shorter than lower Preview Quality. You may experience better FPV performance gain if your normal FPV range is poor (such as below 200m with 640x480 15fps), while you may not see significant improvement if your normal FPV range is good (such as more than 300m with 640x480 15fps). However, your mileage (FPV range) may vary. Fly safe!

P2V_Booster_800m.png

Q2. Does FPV Booster increase Wi-Fi power of Vision aircraft or RE500 range extender?
NO. FPV Booster uses various Wifi tweaks applying on Vision aircraft and RE500 range extender without increasing Wi-Fi power.

Q3. How FPV Booster works?
How it works:
1. Turn on both Phantom 2 Vision aircraft and RE500 range extender, and connect your iOS/Android device to Wi-Fi network as usual.
2. Open FPV Booster app, tap BOOST button. The app connects to Vision aircraft and RE500 range extender through the Wi-Fi network, then it boosts FPV range by applying Wi-Fi tweaks. It will then display a message "Your FPV is boosted. Happy flying!"
3. Open DJI VISION app to prepare takeoff.

Note: Every time when you power cycle Vision aircraft or RE500 range extender, you need to run FPV Booster app and tap BOOST.

Q4. Does it compatible with Phantom 2 Vision+ or RE700 Range Extender?
NO. FPV Booster for Vision is ONLY compatible with DJI original Phantom 2 Vision (non-Plus) and RE500 range extender. Running the app on other incompatible platforms (including Phantom 2 Vision+ or RE700 range extender) may encounter unexpected results.

Q5. How to test it working? What should I do if I could not achieve expected FPV result?
Fly your Vision WITHOUT turning on the booster (as a reference) to your favorite flight path until Wi-Fi video dropped. Fly back your Vision and run the FPV Booster app, then fly again the same flight path with the same Preview Quality for apple-to-apple comparison. You may need to fly with higher altitude for longer range in order to maintain line-of-sight. It may fly out of your 5.8G control range and trigger Failsafe/RTH.

If you could not achieve expected FPV result, we are willing to help to identify and/or resolve the issue as there are so many factors affecting FPV range. Please contact us with the following information for troubleshooting.
- What platform (iOS/Android) and version (indicated at upper right hand corner) of FPV Booster are you using?
- What is the FPV range, Altitude and Preview Quality BEFORE boosted when you think reaching the limit? If the FPV range (before boosted) is significantly shorter than DJI's specification, it might be hardware/software issues of DJI products. FPV Booster is unable to address DJI's hardware/software issues.
- What is the FPV range, Altitude and Preview Quality AFTER boosted when you think reaching the limit?
- What message do you see on DJI VISION app, such as “Phantom Connection Broken” or “Control Signal Lost”?
- Do you fly behind trees, buildings or any obstacle? Are you able to maintain line-of-sight between you and your aircraft?

Q6. Why do I get "Control Signal Lost" message about the same range even after boosted?
FPV Booster only boosts 2.4G Wi-Fi video/telemetry connection (FPV) while Control Signal Lost is due to 5.8G control link dropped.

Q7. Does it work with other Wi-Fi antenna and/or amplifier mods?
We tested FPV Booster with stock (un-modded) Vision aircraft and RE500 range extender. As we are unsure how the mods are done, thus there is no way to guarantee the booster app working with other mods. However, using the booster app is way cheaper and easier than any hardware mod to boost FPV range, as well as eliminating all the hassles of adding/replacing 2.4G antenna, amplifier, high power repeater, pigtail cable, drilling & soldering.

Q8. Can I boost RE500 range extender from one device and fly FPV with another device (including Epson Moverio BT-200)?
YES. You can boost RE500 from any iOS/Android device with FPV Booster app installed as long as the device is connecting to Phantom_XXXXXX network. Once RE500 is boosted, you may either keep or disconnect the Wifi connection. As there is no simple way to install FPV Booster app on Moverio BT-200 for the time being, you are suggested to boost RE500 from another iOS/Android device as a workaround.

Re: FPV Booster for Vision (non-plus) Beta Testing

UDID sent. Always excited to try something new. Will disconnect wifi mods and give it a go when your ready. Thanks.

I had purchased an RE700 for my Standard Vision, What are your thoughts on using this? (alone and not with your app obviously). Do you think the Std Vision would perform better with a stock RE700 vs the stock/boosted RE500?

Will you be applying any boost tweaks to the Vision radio?

I happy to test this app as well.
Cheers
Tomasz

RemE said:
I had purchased an RE700 for my Standard Vision, What are your thoughts on using this? (alone and not with your app obviously). Do you think the Std Vision would perform better with a stock RE700 vs the stock/boosted RE500?

Will you be applying any boost tweaks to the Vision radio?
The boosted RE500 should perform slightly better (or on par) as RE700. As I mentioned in FAQ section that "Do NOT attempt to install FPV Booster on RE700 or it may crash!" We probably need to check RE500 repeater prior installation to avoid installing on RE700 accidentally.

There is NO tweaks applied to P2V aircraft at this stage.

Geert said:
PVFlyer said:
FPV Booster for Vision (non-plus) will be ready for beta testing on iOS (sorry iOS only) shortly. If you are willing to be a beta tester on iOS, please PM me the UDID of your iDevice.

I am ready for testing.

;)

Geert./.
What did you mod your Wifi on P2V aircraft and RE500?

PVFlyer said:
enterprise1 said:
UDID sent. Always excited to try something new. Will disconnect wifi mods and give it a go when your ready. Thanks.
What mods do you have on your P2V aircraft and/or RE500 repeater?

For RE500, 2 FPVLR 9db Half Sphere Helix antennas and 2 watt Sunhans amp. On aircraft two 2.4ghz cloverleafs. All LHCP. My wifi range with stock RE500 was only 900ft. Kept adding mods until I got 3000ft. to 4000ft. with 640x480/15fps.

enterprise1 said:
PVFlyer said:
enterprise1 said:
What mods do you have on your P2V aircraft and/or RE500 repeater?

For RE500, 2 FPVLR 9db Half Sphere Helix antennas and 2 watt Sunhans amp. On aircraft two 2.4ghz cloverleafs. All LHCP. My wifi range with stock RE500 was only 900ft. Kept adding mods until I got 3000ft. to 4000ft. with 640x480/15fps.
I suggest to remove 2W amp but keep the Helix and cloverleaf antennas. You really don't need that much power to reach 3000ft, as you can see we lower the RE500 power from 100mW to 16mW. It may also allow you to use 640x480 30fps, which you couldn't use in the past on P2V.

For RE500, 2 FPVLR 9db Half Sphere Helix antennas and 2 watt Sunhans amp. On aircraft two 2.4ghz cloverleafs. All LHCP. My wifi range with stock RE500 was only 900ft. Kept adding mods until I got 3000ft. to 4000ft. with 640x480/15fps.[/quote]
I suggest to remove 2W amp but keep the Helix and cloverleaf antennas. You really don't need that much power to reach 3000ft, as you can see we lower the RE500 power from 100mW to 16mW. It may also allow you to use 640x480 30fps, which you couldn't use in the past on P2V.[/quote]

So I understand that power does not always equal increased range but why reduce the power? Are you saying that reducing the power is actually helping to increase range?......

helixaviator said:
So I understand that power does not always equal increased range but why reduce the power? Are you saying that reducing the power is actually helping to increase range?......
Increasing or reducing TX power for longer FPV range is depending on many factors. Higher TX power usually means more RF noise and heat. We lower the TX power to lower the noise and it's easier to cope with our Interference Control Algorithm.

PVFlyer said:
We managed to eliminate the tedious INSTALL & UNINSTALL process onto RE500 repeater. There is no component installed on RE500 nor Vision aircraft. I have updated the FAQ, and there is a single BOOST button in the app now.
For those submitted valid UDID beta testers, you may download the 2014-09-19 beta at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1830957/fpv-booster-beta/vision.html

Please share with us your test results in terms of (1) FPV range (2) altitude (3) Preview Quality (4) rural/urban area. As we made last minute changes eliminating INSTALL & UNINSTALL process to minimize the risk of messing RE500, we only performed multiple lab tests comparing all figures to show it working properly.

Look forward to hearing all your beta test results.

Just wondering if the booster app work on ios8? thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31