FPV Antenna Connector Reference

Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion about the names for the common antenna connector types. Just thought I'd post this photo I found after doing an internet search.

sma-rpsma.jpg

For additional information, see this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector

Re: Inside-> Photo clarifying common antenna connector types

Excellent reference tferrari, thank you! I'd like to take this to the next logical step now and compile a list here as well of common FPV components used on the Phantom and which type of connectors they have/which type the antenna must have. This way those who don't have an item in hand yet can still use this as a guide to what matching items they may need.

I'll start with a couple of examples for now, I'll update this list as others post with what they know, or as I get the time to go look em all up ;)

NOTE: Normally the transmitters and receivers have female and the antennae have male, but we'll note any exceptions. Unless we have, you can assume you just need to get the opposite gender of what your Tx/Rx has (e.g. SMA Female needs SMA Male antenna)

VIDEO TRANSMITTERS

- All FatShark and Immersion 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz models: SMA Female
- DJI AVL58 Transmitter: RP-SMA Female
- Boscam 200mW T351 5.8 GHz Transmitter: RP-SMA female
- Boscam 500mW T352 5.8 GHz Transmitter: PR-SMA female
- Flysight 400mW TX5804 5.8GHz Transmitter: RP-SMA female

VIDEO RECEIVERS

- All FatShark goggles and Immersion UNO and DUO Receivers: SMA Female
- DJI AVL58 Receiver: SMA Female
- Boscam RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz LCD Monitor w/Diversity Receiver: SMA female
- Black Pearl RC801 5.8GHz LCD Monitor w/Diversity Receiver: *There are 3 versions of the Black Pearl, two of them have SMA Female and one of them has RP-SMA Female

- Boscam 200mW 5.8 GHz Transmitter: RP-SMA female

- Boscam RX-LCD5802 5.8 GHz LCD Diversity Receiver: SMA female

tferrari said:

Thanks! Do you happen to have the model number of that Tx? T353 etc (I don't remember all the boscam stuff)

And do they really have SMA on Rx but RP-SMA on Tx?

FlySight Black Pearl RC801 Diversity RX/Monitor: RP-SMA Female

ImmersionRC TX_5G8_600 600mW TX: SMA Female

OI Photography said:
tferrari said:

Thanks! Do you happen to have the model number of that Tx? T353 etc (I don't remember all the boscam stuff)

Boscam TS-351 200mW 5.8 GHz transmitter

RP-SMA female on Tx
SKU072090.6.jpg

[edited post]
OI Photography said:

I can confirm that the Boscam TS351 200mW and the TS352 500mW have RP-SMA female connector on the Tx, according to the chart in the OP.

furthermore, as a Boscam RX-LCD5802 owner I can confirm the antenna connectors on the receiver are SMA-female.

Please see the photo at the start of the thread for clarification. Let me know if you have any questions after that.

tferrari said:
Please see the photo at the start of the thread for clarification. Let me know if you have any questions after that.

yea that made it worse, calling a connector "female" that has a male plug. who started that?! :) but yea I guess I get it, I'll delete my post to avoid confusion

Odd, yes. It's the threaded portion of connector that determines if it is male or female. It all got messed up when someone decided to create reverse polarity connectors.

I need to correct this:
coastiejoe said:

This is a point of confusion and a very important distinction:
There are two versions of the FlySight Black Pearl: the 32-channel and the 7-channel.
The 32-channel model uses RP-SMA connectors, while the 7-channel model has SMA (female) connectors.

Edit: See OI's post below... it turns out there are three versions of the Black Pearl, not just the two!

BostonPhotog said:
I need to correct this:
coastiejoe said:

This is a point of confusion and a very important distinction:
There are two versions of the FlySight Black Pearl: the 32-channel and the 7-channel.
The 32-channel model uses RP-SMA connectors, while the 7-channel model has SMA (female) connectors.

Apparently there's also a 32-channel model with SMA instead of RP-SMA. So a total of 3 antenna connection possibilities with that monitor.

I do need to get the list updated, I'll figure out how to best make that clear about the BP options.

OI Photography said:
Apparently there's also a 32-channel model with SMA instead of RP-SMA. So a total of 3 antenna connection possibilities with that monitor.
Oy… they don't like to make it simple, do they...

no kidding. I found someone in another thread mention he lives in NYC and he has an ImmersionRC Tx, I'm hoping soon I can test my Boscam receiver with it... it's 32ch and says it covers both frequency sets, if it works then it'll be a cheaper solution for IRC Tx owners

QYV said:
no kidding. I found someone in another thread mention he lives in NYC and he has an ImmersionRC Tx, I'm hoping soon I can test my Boscam receiver with it... it's 32ch and says it covers both frequency sets, if it works then it'll be a cheaper solution for IRC Tx owners

I'm using the ImmersionRC 600mW Tx with a Boscam RX-LCD5802 and a set of Spironet antennas. No issues so far. If you have any specific questions, ask away.

tferrari said:
I'm using the ImmersionRC 600mW Tx with a Boscam RX-LCD5802 and a set of Spironet antennas. No issues so far. If you have any specific questions, ask away.

that's good to know... I just wanted to test it but if you're running it with no probs I'll start recommending that to folks instead of the Black Pearl. the 5802 is cheaper and 32ch... my only concern is this (alleged) problem the BP 32ch has for no apparent reason

which channel are you running on?

OI Photography said:
=
VIDEO TRANSMITTERS

- DJI AVL58 Transmitter: SMA Female

For me the DJI AVL58 Transmitter: RP-SMA Female

erek said:
OI Photography said:
=
VIDEO TRANSMITTERS

- DJI AVL58 Transmitter: SMA Female

For me the DJI AVL58 Transmitter: RP-SMA Female

Thanks for the reminder...I just discovered that this weekend and need to change that. DJI's documentation says it has an SMA connector but anybody who has one will confirm that's not correct ;)

EDIT: fixed!

would using a RP-SMA Female to SMA Male adapter" between the FPVLR 90 degrees RP-SMA Male Antenna and the ImmersionRC 600mW VTX noticably degrade performance?

Using a Boscam RC802 2.4ghz / TS321 setup, and the SMA connectors seem smaller than standard. Bought some Bluebeam antennas but the connector seems huge. Does anyone know if these units use a different size connector / using an SMA female to RP-SMA male adapter work?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik