FPV alternatives for P2 Zen

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around adding FPV to my P2 with Zen and Gopro. If I went the safe route I'd probably buy the DJI transmitter. But since its out of stock in most places I thought I''d explore the alternatives. The Fatshark route looks enticing, but I'm not sure I like the idea of putting goggles on and not being able to easily see outside the virtual environment. The alternative would be a Black Pearl or Immersion monitor with built in Rx & Battery (not sure of model numbers). I did find a mini iOSD for sale somewhere so I ordered that, but the rest is up for grabs.

I know there have been lots of great threads here on this whole trade off process and I'd appreciate anyone who could post links to them.

ALso, I'd like links to current US suppliers who people have recent experience with (I almost always go with B&H or Amazon, but its slim pickings out there these days).

Also, if this is the wrong forum for this question let me know and I'll move the post.

Thanks,

jondrew said:
I'm finally getting around adding FPV to my P2 with Zen and Gopro. If I went the safe route I'd probably buy the DJI transmitter. But since its out of stock in most places I thought I''d explore the alternatives. The Fatshark route looks enticing, but I'm not sure I like the idea of putting goggles on and not being able to easily see outside the virtual environment. The alternative would be a Black Pearl or Immersion monitor with built in Rx & Battery (not sure of model numbers). I did find a mini iOSD for sale somewhere so I ordered that, but the rest is up for grabs.

I know there have been lots of great threads here on this whole trade off process and I'd appreciate anyone who could post links to them.

ALso, I'd like links to current US suppliers who people have recent experience with (I almost always go with B&H or Amazon, but its slim pickings out there these days).

Also, if this is the wrong forum for this question let me know and I'll move the post.

Thanks,

I ordered the TS 832 from rcdepotandhobbies and a Diversity monitor. Added a helical from Circular Wireless (eBay) and a couple of cloverleaf antennas (also from CW). Use a cloverleaf (actually a Skew Planar) on the ground rx plus the helical. Not the cheapest but definitely effective.

Thanks LK. Just did an about face and ordered the Fatshark Predator V2 setup. Its almost a complete package (need a cable) and once I get comfortable doing the FPV thing I'll probably upgrade the Tx, Antennas and whatever.

This stuff is amazingly complicated to understand by just reading posts. I've now been reading about the DJI ground station offerings. They do a terrible job of explaining what the system is and its capabilities. It looks like something I'd like to add after I get the FPV squared away.

Sometimes you gotta learn by pulling the trigger and seeing what you hit.

jondrew said:
Thanks LK. Just did an about face and ordered the Fatshark Predator V2 setup. Its almost a complete package (need a cable) and once I get comfortable doing the FPV thing I'll probably upgrade the Tx, Antennas and whatever.

This stuff is amazingly complicated to understand by just reading posts. I've now been reading about the DJI ground station offerings. They do a terrible job of explaining what the system is and its capabilities. It looks like something I'd like to add after I get the FPV squared away.

Sometimes you gotta learn by pulling the trigger and seeing what you hit.

I know spending money is not what you want to do now - since you just plopped down a wad for the Predator - but think about getting a Diversity monitor too. Both are handy. I have both and I'm not sure which I like best... The Predator had to be modified for me since my sight sucks and the lens kits weren't the right prescription. I ended up cutting an old pair of glasses and sticking the pieces in them so I could see the screen. First flight was horrible until I learned how to use them - contrast and brightness controls are the middle button, BTW. :oops: The goggles are handy because you can see the screen in bright sun. They fog so you might want to use an anti-fog agent of some sort (wet your finger with some liquid soap, rub it on the lens, let it dry a little and rub it off with a lens cloth).

I can't fly the airframe to the ground with the goggles - even with the narrower camera on. So I have to take the goggles off for take-off and landings and usually a lot in-between. However, they do work and framing shots is easier with them.

ladykate said:
I know spending money is not what you want to do now - since you just plopped down a wad for the Predator - but think about getting a Diversity monitor too. Both are handy. I have both and I'm not sure which I like best... The Predator had to be modified for me since my sight sucks and the lens kits weren't the right prescription. I ended up cutting an old pair of glasses and sticking the pieces in them so I could see the screen. First flight was horrible until I learned how to use them - contrast and brightness controls are the middle button, BTW. :oops: The goggles are handy because you can see the screen in bright sun. They fog so you might want to use an anti-fog agent of some sort (wet your finger with some liquid soap, rub it on the lens, let it dry a little and rub it off with a lens cloth).

I can't fly the airframe to the ground with the goggles - even with the narrower camera on. So I have to take the goggles off for take-off and landings and usually a lot in-between. However, they do work and framing shots is easier with them.

I am considering a monitor too. I assume the diversity monitor is compatible (channel wise) with the Fatshark/Immersion Tx?

Last time we talked I think you had just gotten a 550 package. How's that been going (I'm allowed to highjack my own thread I think)

jondrew said:
I am considering a monitor too. I assume the diversity monitor is compatible (channel wise) with the Fatshark/Immersion Tx?

Last time we talked I think you had just gotten a 550 package. How's that been going (I'm allowed to highjack my own thread I think)

The Diversity monitors (which include dual rx) come in versions that handle the Immersion/Fatshark freqs. I wasn't looking for that when I got mine (two...) but both of them handle the 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz band (Fatshark). Just check the allowed freqs before you buy. If they are 32 channel they probably handle the Fatshark versions.

re: 550

It is going well. I'm flying it more than the P2 - I modify it about twice a week - it is a blank slate and fun to play with. The reason I am commenting on the freqs is that I've tried them on the 550. Even put the Fatshark tx on the 550 and ran both at the same time (two tx, two different monitors). Easy to do. The big(gish) problem is that it made me hungry for something bigger still. I have the makings for an 800 class machine coming - (don't laugh... it is still cheaper than a boat :D )

ladykate said:
It is going well. I'm flying it more than the P2 - I modify it about twice a week - it is a blank slate and fun to play with. The reason I am commenting on the freqs is that I've tried them on the 550. Even put the Fatshark tx on the 550 and ran both at the same time (two tx, two different monitors). Easy to do. The big(gish) problem is that it made me hungry for something bigger still. I have the makings for an 800 class machine coming - (don't laugh... it is still cheaper than a boat :D )

Nobody here laughing. We all know the 2 happiest days in a boat owners life story. Decided to give the diversity monitor a shot. Should have it in a day or so. Ordered the fatsharks from hobby king and got a confirmation that my order was on its way and should be at my house "within 45 days". So much for US based warehouse.

I'll be following your 800 exploits. I think if I go to a bigger frame I'll want something I can strap one of my kids to.

jondrew said:
Should have it in a day or so. Ordered the fatsharks from hobby king and got a confirmation that my order was on its way and should be at my house "within 45 days". So much for US based warehouse.

I'll be following your 800 exploits. I think if I go to a bigger frame I'll want something I can strap one of my kids to.

I'll update the thread over on 'other multi-rotors' but all the parts are in save one (coming tomorrow). Just a whole box of pieces right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers