Foward vision sensor calibration error?

Reaction score
I took four flights with my p4 with stock battery, then I took it completely apart and wired it for external batteries and put it back together. The very first long-range flight with it modded was perfectly normal from the start, took it out of 44,000 & back.
That was yesterday I landed and packed it up like normal. Took it out today for another flight, flight number six, I got messages on the screen where you normally see "safe to fly GPS" that read "forward sensor calibration error"
This only happens after I wait for safe to fly message and as soon as I lift off into the air! Just to be clear, I fly with the sensors turned off in the app .Upon inspection I noticed this, One of my forward sensors is not sitting perfectly centered in the shell.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467043542.669204.jpg

It's hard to get a picture of it that small but I think you get the idea. I have to assume this was like this when I put it back together and it didn't affect the first long-range flight at all. Any ideas, other than the obvious to take it apart and realign this.

Do you think you moved it when you had the case open. How are the seniors anchored in to the case?
They're all locked down onto the main assembly. There's a chance because my XT 60 connector comes out the front by the sensor on that side that my 16awg wire is squeezed in there not allowing the sensor to fully sit in the eyehole of the shell. I only noticed it after this error this morning, if it was done like during the mod how was I able to fly with no problems 44,000 feet and back? It doesn't matter, the fact is I got a problem and the only solution to start with is to take the bird apart again and realign that sensor lens with the eyehole in the shell! It just seems like it shouldn't matter since I have that collision avoidance sensor turned off in the app
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467045400.113221.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467045412.983177.jpg

I suppose it's possible that this zip tie in image one didn't allow the shelves to halves to align properly. Although why did that not show up in the first flight after the mod

LeeSK recommended this I'll try it later.
dji web player
Anybody have any other ideas on how to fix the problem. I am also getting the same error. I have made Zero mods to my P4. It has been flown about 40 times now and now just in the last few flights sometime but not always when I fly it has the same error. Done a IMU cal and made no difference?

Anybody have any other ideas on how to fix the problem. I am also getting the same error. I have made Zero mods to my P4. It has been flown about 40 times now and now just in the last few flights sometime but not always when I fly it has the same error. Done a IMU cal and made no difference?
Have you tried calibrating the vision sensor system like in that link

Db did you figure it out?

O.k. I'm confused...and happy...maybe!
Before I did the recommended forward sensor cali, I decided to remove the tape I had covering vps, you know I had it taped so I can strap external bat under there . I did notice one of the IMU's was SLIGHTLY off, so I started with an IMU calibration!
I started motors and hovered at 20' and I DID NOT get any sensor error warnings!!! So , I taped the vps back up , fired it up & all good!! I strapped bats to the front & back to see if the big bats or power wire got in the way! Nope! I could not recreate it[emoji41]
So I dont know what to expect on my next start, but for now I'm hopeful! I would like to say it was just the area that I was flying in that caused the problems, but when I first had the issue I packed it up and drove 2 miles away to another spot and had the same issue. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe the fact that I untaped the VPS, maybe it was the IMU calibration
I can't pinpoint it or re-create it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467267897.722778.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467267897.722778.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 668
O.k. I'm confused...and happy...maybe!
Before I did the recommended forward sensor cali, I decided to remove the tape I had covering vps, you know I had it taped so I can strap external bat under there . I did notice one of the IMU's was SLIGHTLY off, so I started with an IMU calibration!
I started motors and hovered at 20' and I DID NOT get any sensor error warnings!!! So , I taped the vps back up , fired it up & all good!! I strapped bats to the front & back to see if the big bats or power wire got in the way! Nope! I could not recreate it[emoji41]
So I dont know what to expect on my next start, but for now I'm hopeful! I would like to say it was just the area that I was flying in that caused the problems, but when I first had the issue I packed it up and drove 2 miles away to another spot and had the same issue. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe the fact that I untaped the VPS, maybe it was the IMU calibration
I can't pinpoint it or re-create it.
I hate it when that happens. Because in the back of your head you're a always thinking .is it going to crash

What happens when that message pops up on the screen while your in the air? does it restrict certain things or try to land?

Also do you think the tape over the sensors was causing it..didn't know if you had the tape on it when doing the calibrations. At least it's good for now right!!

What happens when that message pops up on the screen while your in the air? does it restrict certain things or try to land?

Also do you think the tape over the sensors was causing it..didn't know if you had the tape on it when doing the calibrations. At least it's good for now right!!

I have the forward sensors shut off in the app. I had to VPS sensor taped up. Last night in my driveway after I figured out that it was flying normal with all the tapes and external batteries removed, I went ahead and covered everything back up with tape and put batteries back on to try to re-create the problem. I could not re-create it no matter what I did. I just got safe to fly GPS.

When I got that message before, it only happened directly after lift off, and the LEDs would flash green yellow red and while in hover it would swirl around like a bad compass

Whether were talking drones, cars or appliances, I would rather a part just goes bad, then I have peace of mind when I change it[emoji41]

Reactions: phxbird57
I have the forward sensors shut off in the app. I had to VPS sensor taped up. Last night in my driveway after I figured out that it was flying normal with all the tapes and external batteries removed, I went ahead and covered everything back up with tape and put batteries back on to try to re-create the problem. I could not re-create it no matter what I did. I just got safe to fly GPS.

When I got that message before, it only happened directly after lift off, and the LEDs would flash green yellow red and while in hover it would swirl around like a bad compass
OK Db send me the P4 and I'll run it though my testing. :cool: Just made sure you read the small print. I'm not responsible for any loss or broken parts and or damage.aka not responsible for anything. ;)
I hope you find out what cause that.

yeah man that's weird... how long did you wait after it was fine to put the tape back on and batts?

yeah man that's weird... how long did you wait after it was fine to put the tape back on and batts?

Landed it, restarted without tape once more, all good, landed put tape on vps, took off, all good, landed, strapped bats on, all good! Within 10 minutes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers