Found Small White & Red Lights at Walmart

• Thread starter Deleted member 6917
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6917

A few days ago I ordered the really bright white light designed for the Phantom. Got them today and they were designed to fit the regular Phantom with smaller battery. Did not want to do rigging, so made a trip to Walmart to look a bicycle lights for my Phantom 2 Vision. Found several in the hunting dept. The brightest one was 150 lumens but had three AAA batteries to operate....decided it was too much weight...so went over to the bike department and wow! found the Wo light set...one red one white with a all on or blinking switch. There are about as big around as a quarter and have two of those small flat batteries included. Approx 1" deep and very little weight. Mounted them with the white velcro on the battery where the green bars appear. With the white velcro you can see thru it to check your battery lights. There is no lumens rating but my guess is somewhere around 100. Price for both is only $12.97....Can not fly with the lights today......snow and wind here in VA...but know they will help in orientation for a tiny bit of weight added. Hope this helps. Keep em' flyin'

Attachments

• IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    436.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 1,424
Forgot to mention that the lights are rated for 70 hrs on steady and 140 hr on blinking.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 1,400
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 1,454
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 1,415
cool...do you know how much each one weighs by any chance?

I wish the P1 had the flashing under arm lights like the P2 but I digress.
You can get lots of different styles on the web. Here is one from ebay being sold for Phantoms, there are different colors too ...

j7u8fo.jpg

Really nice and BIG and BRIGHT - Got the same one but- would not work with Phantom 2 battery, did not want to rig up something I would probably regret later. So went shopping....sorry but I hate E-Bay and Pay Pal especially. Long story! Nice Rig!

My bad, I didn't even pay attention to it being a P2. I wouldn't mess with a $160 battery either! :shock:
The photo is the ebay sellers. I have a X525 quad (among other RC's :mrgreen: ), but I want a DJI for videography. I am still contemplating a P1 vs. a P2. I am not a big fan of the battery cost of the P2, but the built in meter & switch is brilliant. Still trying to figure out the pros & cons between the two. I just don't want to get a P1 and regret it later. If I will need to spend more money on a P1 maybe it is better spent upfront on a P2. Hoping to figure it all out and order soon.

I have had my P2 for about two months now with many flights under my belt. Getting better and better with each flight and experimenting on capturing great video. I am a retired pro photographer with over 35+ years in the studio business. Sold everything 3 years ago and got bored.....I used to fly RC gliders for about 10 years all over the country in competition. Quad copters are a different animal. Personally I would not purchase a P1...flight time, weight restrictions, etc. I have several high end clients that are now contacting me for video clips for their web sites and digital presentations...so the P2 Vision does a great job for me except stable video...Dronexpert gimbal being shipped this week...I have an eye on a Cinewing 6HL with a Sony Nex 7 a 24.5 MP camera, and a gyro 3 axis gimbal....I will have to pre book many jobs to pay for that one at 10 grand! I agree that the batteries are expensive but you get what you pay for....I have two and no problems. Good luck in your purchase decision.

Oh BT'Y - If you are considering a Go Pro set up I would go with the Vision.....I have 4 Go Pros...they take great video but...they jam up easily with monitor attached an blow micro SD cards...I had one that I sent back and they replaced it....Hard to program with small screen...Two 64 MB cards blown at 80 bucks a pop! Me no Go Pro fan!

Or you could use cheap, light, bright lights from EBay like I did!

Attachments

• 100_6746.JPG
    100_6746.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 100_6726.JPG
    100_6726.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 1,280
Doono said:
Count said:
Or you could use cheap, light, bright lights from EBay like I did!
They look really good, enough lights on there to scare cattle :D Are they powered from the motor power wires?

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, I've been meaning to come back to it. After seeing Count's pics, I located and ordered the round LED kits he has at the edge of each prop guard, and I wanted to give some feedback on them.

First, for anybody who wants to know where to get them, here's the one(s) I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331090375346?ss ... 1497.l2649

They're a little pricey, but I love them and currently have 4 of them mounted on my 550. They state they'll do a range of colors (and they will) but the only ones they'll do in single-color always-on mode are red/green/blue. The other colors are only available in the flashing or gradient modes.

Here's some pics of them when I tested on my bench. Note that I have them wired up to a test batt for this purpose. Getting them to work on a P1 is fairly easy, but wiring them on a P2 will definitely require opening up the shell and doing some soldering.

For each example below, I took a pic with my shop light on and then one with it off (in the dark).

In red, showing the difference between the highest and lowest brightness setting:
4neZpp4l.jpg

UYZVSkGl.jpg

All three solid colors:
b0lFftYl.jpg

uyqnO8Nl.jpg

Red/green orientation layout like a Phantom (this is how I have them on my 550):
D0osZI1l.jpg

qTmgCI2l.jpg

fyi, shipping took about 2 weeks to arrive.

OI Photography said:
Ol Photography,
Great looking and bright! What voltage are they?

They come with balance tap connectors for both 3S and 4S batts, so I'm guessing they'll take anything between 11v-17v.

Thanks for your post OI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers