Found Phantom Dolores River Utah June 12, 2016.

Reaction score
Found a Phantom standard in Beaver Canyon Utah alongside Dolores River. The SD card showed final flight of May 30th in the evening before batteries apparently died or went out of range and self landed. I strapped this thing to back of my lifejacket and kayaked out 2 days with it and it appears to be working just fine. There is no name or info on SD in case of loss but someone did write with sharpie pen on the drone body FA3MNEXKR3.....

I found this in a remote desert location and want to reunite with its owner. I have an image of someone (perhaps the owner or a friend) from the SD card.

I have read other forums posts about DJI not releasing owner info or even contacting lost drone owners. The nearest major population to where this was found is Moab Utah or Grand Junction Colorado but both would be a few hours away by 4 wheel drive vehicle as very remote area... Any info/suggestions on how to find the drone owner would be appreciated.... My contact [email protected]

I'm sending you an email right now (flyguy)

Reactions: Numone
The number FA3MNEXKR3 is most likely the FAA registration number. I searched online to see if there is some way to match the reg number with the owner, but found nothing.

Law Enforcement has the ability to request the registration # holder's identity from the FAA. They can get the owner of the aircraft in contact with the "Finder".

On a side note... every one of us should have a file on the SD card that is named "If Found" and put your contact information in that file. This could save you a lot of $$ and issues if you lose your aircraft. Every SD card I own has this file on it for that very reason.

Already in touch with both Utah and Colorado police departments...Utah is initiating the search with FAA as I type this so thank everyone for suggestions

On a side note... every one of us should have a file on the SD card that is named "If Found" and put your contact information in that file. This could save you a lot of $$ and issues if you lose your aircraft. Every SD card I own has this file on it for that very reason.

That's a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Law Enforcement has the ability to request the registration # holder's identity from the FAA. They can get the owner of the aircraft in contact with the "Finder".

I read somewhere — or saw on a video somewhere — that it's best practice to reformat the SD card before each use. I normally name my SD cards as my phone number, but even that gets replaced with UNKNOWN when I reformat the card using the Phantom. Does anyone have any alternative advice to this "best practice"?

Thanks,

Bobby

I read somewhere — or saw on a video somewhere — that it's best practice to reformat the SD card before each use. I normally name my SD cards as my phone number, but even that gets replaced with UNKNOWN when I reformat the card using the Phantom. Does anyone have any alternative advice to this "best practice"?

Thanks,

Bobby
When I format mine (not nearly that often) I simply have the file handy and drop it back onto the card. Takes about 1.5sec at the most. I'd say my cards get formatted maybe once a month. But I've got over a dozen cards that I use off and on.

PS I format from my laptop simply because I have it in there already and it's easiest to just go ahead wipe it while I'm there.

When I format mine (not nearly that often) I simply have the file handy and drop it back onto the card. Takes about 1.5sec at the most. I'd say my cards get formatted maybe once a month. But I've got over a dozen cards that I use off and on.

PS I format from my laptop simply because I have it in there already and it's easiest to just go ahead wipe it while I'm there.

Cool… I'll try just manually deleting the old files for a while and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bobby

Reactions: BigAl07
Found a Phantom standard in Beaver Canyon Utah alongside Dolores River. The SD card showed final flight of May 30th in the evening before batteries apparently died or went out of range and self landed. I strapped this thing to back of my lifejacket and kayaked out 2 days with it and it appears to be working just fine. There is no name or info on SD in case of loss but someone did write with sharpie pen on the drone body FA3MNEXKR3.....

I found this in a remote desert location and want to reunite with its owner. I have an image of someone (perhaps the owner or a friend) from the SD card.

I have read other forums posts about DJI not releasing owner info or even contacting lost drone owners. The nearest major population to where this was found is Moab Utah or Grand Junction Colorado but both would be a few hours away by 4 wheel drive vehicle as very remote area... Any info/suggestions on how to find the drone owner would be appreciated.... My contact [email protected]

Well done. What a nice person you are. :)

So many people these days would just have sold it. Not me though, cant understand that mentality. I hope you find the owner.

Iam new at this , just started with a Phantom 4. I put my name and phone # plus FFA # and a sticker that has, REWARD IF FOUND ! that might help me get it back! Would hate to lose it.

Reactions: BigAl07
Iam new at this , just started with a Phantom 4. I put my name and phone # plus FFA # and a sticker that has, REWARD IF FOUND ! that might help me get it back! Would hate to lose it.
Welcome to the forums CJ :)

Any update on this thread? I'm hoping for a happy ending to this story.

wouldnt that file be deleted every time the sd card is formatted?

wouldnt that file be deleted every time the sd card is formatted?
Yes it is. I keep it on my HDD and drop it back onto the card each time. Takes about 1.2 sec.

Yes it is. I keep it on my HDD and drop it back onto the card each time. Takes about 1.2 sec.
got it.
the thing is i format the sd card via dji go app previous a flight :(
i have this stickers on all my quads :)

2016-06-21 10.04.27.jpg

My workflow is different (not right or wrong or any better than yours) in that I have many cards and manage them via laptop so it's easy and quick to format and then drop the TXT file back on the card.

I have small - medium sized pieces of laminated paper slotted in to my Phantoms' battery compartments with my contact details and "Do the right thing" written on it (thank you Casey). It's not as obvious, but it's definitely better than nothing.

Touch wood I've never had a fly away and never lost either bird, but it's there as a security measure just in case.

Reactions: Tractors4u

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4