Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Found Phantom Dolores River Utah June 12, 2016.

Discussion in 'Lost and Found' started by KPC65, Jun 16, 2016.

1. KPC65

Found a Phantom standard in Beaver Canyon Utah alongside Dolores River. The SD card showed final flight of May 30th in the evening before batteries apparently died or went out of range and self landed. I strapped this thing to back of my lifejacket and kayaked out 2 days with it and it appears to be working just fine. There is no name or info on SD in case of loss but someone did write with sharpie pen on the drone body FA3MNEXKR3.....

I found this in a remote desert location and want to reunite with its owner. I have an image of someone (perhaps the owner or a friend) from the SD card.

I have read other forums posts about DJI not releasing owner info or even contacting lost drone owners. The nearest major population to where this was found is Moab Utah or Grand Junction Colorado but both would be a few hours away by 4 wheel drive vehicle as very remote area... Any info/suggestions on how to find the drone owner would be appreciated.... My contact kpch2o@yahoo.com

2. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sending you an email right now (flyguy)

Numone likes this.
  3. Great_Lakes

The number FA3MNEXKR3 is most likely the FAA registration number. I searched online to see if there is some way to match the reg number with the owner, but found nothing.

4. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Law Enforcement has the ability to request the registration # holder's identity from the FAA. They can get the owner of the aircraft in contact with the "Finder".

On a side note... every one of us should have a file on the SD card that is named "If Found" and put your contact information in that file. This could save you a lot of $$ and issues if you lose your aircraft. Every SD card I own has this file on it for that very reason.

5. KPC65

Already in touch with both Utah and Colorado police departments...Utah is initiating the search with FAA as I type this so thank everyone for suggestions

6. SteveN76

That's a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mfoster82 and BigAl07 like this.
  7. roemeister

I read somewhere — or saw on a video somewhere — that it's best practice to reformat the SD card before each use. I normally name my SD cards as my phone number, but even that gets replaced with UNKNOWN when I reformat the card using the Phantom. Does anyone have any alternative advice to this "best practice"?

Thanks,

Bobby

8. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

When I format mine (not nearly that often) I simply have the file handy and drop it back onto the card. Takes about 1.5sec at the most. I'd say my cards get formatted maybe once a month. But I've got over a dozen cards that I use off and on.

PS I format from my laptop simply because I have it in there already and it's easiest to just go ahead wipe it while I'm there.

9. roemeister

Cool… I'll try just manually deleting the old files for a while and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bobby

BigAl07 likes this.
  10. dan84uk

Well done. What a nice person you are. :)

So many people these days would just have sold it. Not me though, cant understand that mentality. I hope you find the owner.

11. cj7jeep57

Iam new at this , just started with a Phantom 4. I put my name and phone # plus FFA # and a sticker that has, REWARD IF FOUND ! that might help me get it back! Would hate to lose it.

BigAl07 likes this.
  12. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums CJ :)

13. Pharm

Why would you put your Future Farmers of America (FFA) number on it? Sorry, I couldn't resist the jab. Welcome.

14. Pharm

Any update on this thread? I'm hoping for a happy ending to this story.

15. chapsrlz

wouldnt that file be deleted every time the sd card is formatted?

16. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes it is. I keep it on my HDD and drop it back onto the card each time. Takes about 1.2 sec.

17. chapsrlz

got it.
    the thing is i format the sd card via dji go app previous a flight :(
    i have this stickers on all my quads :)

2016-06-21 10.04.27.jpg

18. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

My workflow is different (not right or wrong or any better than yours) in that I have many cards and manage them via laptop so it's easy and quick to format and then drop the TXT file back on the card.

19. jackhadrill

I have small - medium sized pieces of laminated paper slotted in to my Phantoms' battery compartments with my contact details and "Do the right thing" written on it (thank you Casey). It's not as obvious, but it's definitely better than nothing.

Touch wood I've never had a fly away and never lost either bird, but it's there as a security measure just in case.

Tractors4u likes this.
  20. Mfoster82

I have the generic FAA number and contact info on mine but I love yours. How/where did you have these made if you dont mind sharing??