FOUND Lost Phantom in CT

Reaction score
As a fellow phantom owner I was surprised/amazed to find a flyaway phantom and gopro on my jog today in Connecticut. PM me if you were the flyaway pilot.

What a generous gesture!! i know alot of people who wouldnt have made this post...or this offer!

Good on ya!

cc

Dns_Rui said:
Someone should have put his name and phone number on the phantom and on a file in the GoPro SD card...

Great Idea... Thanks for the reminder. Doing that as I type this....

view the SD card, perhaps he launched from his yard, and perhaps it can be identified, great gesture.

Bartleby said:
As a fellow phantom owner I was surprised/amazed to find a flyaway phantom and gopro on my jog today in Connecticut. PM me if you were the flyaway pilot.

My man you have done your good deed for 2014!

you are a deserving individual!

I say everyone here do something positive for Bartleby...even though he gave and forgot the gift!

b- email me to my private email @ gmail same screen name

I have lost one so what you did hits home a bit.

just like luggage, DJI should include name-tag labels for users to affix their info.

It's been awhile, but doesn't the NAZA Assistant register your Phantom the first time you connect it and such?
(tied into an email address?).

Maybe the folks at DJI could do a reverse-lookup on it based on it's serial number..
(if you could actually contact them somehow)

Yes, very nice gesture.

Speaking of fly-aways... here's an idea: since DJI PV2 uses wifi, I assume it has a mac address which is unique in the world. What if we had a specific forum topic here for lost 'flyaways' and what if someone wrote an app that had all those mac addresses in a database that could be searched via any smartphone for example. The forum topic could also be used to ensure flyaways don't happen ... I found this short video explaining the possible problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqzYYDBkymM
... what if we had the smartphone app that could double check the compass settings... or better yet a full blown checklist before take-off (gps, compass, imu, batteries). To be honest, I have not yet looked at all the DJI documentation and videos. It is an amazing machine. Only just had my first flight!

It's got a serial number. It shouldn't be hard to trace back to the owner through DJI warranty registration.

Sorry but I am calling possible BS. What is the chance of one guy having a Phantom and finding anothers on a walk?
Granted, they are becoming popular but seriously. The chances have to be extremely remote. At least at this point. You cant count by how many Phantoms have been sold even though in the grand scheme of sales and the size of the earth it would still be very minute. Now equate how many have been lost. Now equate how many were lost in CT. I know nobody else that has one. My friends had never seen one except mine.
-A random guy logs into this forum
-Claims to fly a Phantom
-Has never been a member
-Just happens to find another Phantom, he claims is a flyaway
-Never posts again up to this point

Everybody instantly showers him with praise like he is the second coming.
Yet nobody knows him.
Does not post pictures.
Does not explain anything really.
Did it crash?
Did it appear undamaged like it landed?
Which Phantom is it?
Got video?
Nothing.
Maybe it is just me but, if I found somebody's Phantom, I would definitely have more to say.

This is the internet you know.

If you know anything more than me, let me in on it.
If I am wrong I apologize and I would agree that it is a very nice gesture but I am definitely going to hold out and be skeptical.

I would just wait near where you found it to see his 2nd Phantom coming your way. :) You may also be able to get metatag GPS info out of any photos on the Card. I applaud your honesty.

If someone lost it then I'm sure their living in the area or visited but haven't given up the search for it! Best thing to do is look around for lost posters or check the classifieds in your local paper, If they care that much for it then they would have spent the time to locate it. I would say if you can't find them on here and they don't come looking for it then bind it to your Tx and enjoy :cool:

Question. ...What route are most people taking to attach their name and number? Are you using a sharpie directly on the phantom? What about if you want to resell it? Are you just writing it on masking tape and attaching? Do you put it on top or bottom side? Interference?

I just want the best cleanest method and I need to do it before my next flight.

I have my details written on a piece of paper I put inside on top of the battery, for now.
I was looking at making up a label on my little label printer, or go for one of ColoradoSky's sticker sets . . .

Another good insurance options is to write a .txt file with contact details phone number e-mail reward?? and save it to the memory card in the gopro, I'd suggest to the OP to review the footage and see if you can find where the phantom took off from etc . .

I also think a small "radioactive" or "biohazard" sticker would help increase returns :)

First,let me say that I have my name and Phone # on my phantom but has anyone looked at it as a catch 22?
Let's say that the wayward craft fly,s into town and strikes Mrs x in the windshield of her brand new Benz,she loses control and hits a power pole and is seriously injured..Insurance will get her a new car and pay for hospital bills but are you ready for the lawsuit
Mr x is gonna send your way ?----maybe lose everything you have...something to think about
ZDAWG

zdawg said:
First,let me say that I have my name and Phone # on my phantom but has anyone looked at it as a catch 22?
Let's say that the wayward craft fly,s into town and strikes Mrs x in the windshield of her brand new Benz,she loses control and hits a power pole and is seriously injured..Insurance will get her a new car and pay for hospital bills but are you ready for the lawsuit
Mr x is gonna send your way ?----maybe lose everything you have...something to think about
ZDAWG

Wow, let's not be responsible for our actions.

Well there's a serial # underneath the Phantom.
If you were to record, then remove this #, wouldn't it become unusable to the finder, which then makes a reasonable reward more appealing then keeping it?
That's what I'm going to do anyways, with my name, email, and phone# Sharpied on, and reward offered on notepad file in memory card.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1