Found Drone in Yosemite

Personally, I'd either keep the SD card or toss it. Returning it would be like handing the gun back that a bank robber used.
Ummm why?

Ummm why?

It was (and is) illegal to fly a drone a that time in any US National Park. Yosemite especially had issues with people flying drones. To me, drone footage from a US National Park is about the easiest way for people to be offended by drones. I think returning the SD card would send the message that drone flyers encourage such use.

Yes I understand the laws regarding drone use in US national parks.

I think the loss of his quad equipped with the Fat Shark and GoPro is punishment enough for his crime although seeing he's from a foreign country chances are he had no idea they were not allowed.

Seeing he's from a foreign country chances are he had no idea they were not allowed.

Precisely, assuming he knew exactly what the laws were and simply decided to ignore them, well ... none of us can truly attest to that.
We need to assume that most of us start with 'good intentions' ... though sometimes we all make mistakes. Let us not hold him to higher standards than we do ourselves.

Last edited:
It was (and is) illegal to fly a drone a that time in any US National Park. Yosemite especially had issues with people flying drones. To me, drone footage from a US National Park is about the easiest way for people to be offended by drones. I think returning the SD card would send the message that drone flyers encourage such use.

If I were to go to a park (here in Illinois or else), where do I find out about whether drones are ok or not at that specific park?
I must admit that such information is NOT always readily available.

I was in Niagara Falls a month ago, and someone was flying his drone over he falls. Though, he was on the Canadian side. I'd be very 'concerned' about flying a drone over a country border, especially that the laws might not be the same on both sides.

I'm guessing the Canadian operator had some 'geo-fencing' enabled such that his drone could not venture too far.

If I were to go to a park (here in Illinois or else), where do I find out about whether drones are ok or not at that specific park?
I must admit that such information is NOT always readily available.
You can look online, call the number to the park ranger or look for a sign posted with the rules and restrictions.

...or just launch anyway and wait for karma to strike!

Someone told me once it was easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
With the 'ignorance' about drones and what they do, I'm sure every time I'll ask I'll get a definite 'No Way'!

Reactions: Casey Cassity
Two years ago I went to a local lake to take some aerial vids and when i approached the gate shack a nice looking girl with an extremely pleasant attitude greeted me. She said, "hello welcome to skinner lake. How will you be enjoying your day today?" I told her I was going to launch my quad copter and take some footage of the lake from various locations. Instantly she turned into the devil ranger from hell! She looked at me, took off her funny park ranger hat and said, "NO! YOU CANT FLY THOSE THINGS HERE!" I calmly explained to her I was a safe, experienced pilot and I would only fly where there were no people around. She said in the same scary devil voice, "YOU CAN JUST TURN THAT TRUCK OF YOURS AROUND RIGHT HERE AND LEAVE THE PARK!" As she was losing it I could see the look on the face of another ranger standing behind her in the gate shack. He looked scared!

I think it is kind of silly to make that illegal, video might be the only chance most people in the world get to see the beauty of the park. I understand the noise would bother people, maybe limited hours of operation would be a better solution.

Interesting take.

I think it is kind of silly to make that illegal, video might be the only chance most people in the world get to see the beauty of the park. I understand the noise would bother people, maybe limited hours of operation would be a better solution.

Yea, and mandatory (or proof of) liability insurance for people (visitors, staff) and Park attractions, facilities, etc.

With the laws surrounding drones getting more and more complicated, I wish there would be some kind of application of logic to preventing their use. Aside from perhaps breaking a law he knew nothing about, the guy was flying responsibly- line of sight, not over people, reasonable altitude. He wasn't flying wildly and didn't appear to be harassing any animals. Let him off with some sort of warning, but get his gear back to him if you can.. To liken it's use to a gun that robber used to commit a crime is a ridiculous vilification of a drone pilot, in my opinion.

Reactions: PageSide
Maybe a year or so, you should see this thing. Every moving part is locked up and anything that can rust is rusty.

I have it hanging from the ceiling in my shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy Banana
My brother in law found it washed up on a river bank.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4