Found a Cheap but Excellent Andoid Tablet for P3A/P....

I hope you guys are right about the Flex Elite as I just pulled the trigger on an open box unit for $116 at Best Buy. Great price for the stated performance and reportedly bright screen. While I was there I also bought a battery for $125. But dear, I'm saving so much money! :rolleyes:

Yes please keep us posted. I want to buy one today so if you can let us know really soon that would be awesome haha! :)

Yes please keep us posted. I want to buy one today so if you can let us know really soon that would be awesome haha! :)
The Flex Elite won't arrive until early next week and then the testing phase will begin and correspond with the return window at Best Buy.
My experience is not to cut corners on your tablet - it's quite likely that you will end up regretting it and eBay it at a loss. The Shield is a superb choice and at 150 quid or dollar equivalent it is extraordinary value for what you get.
You may very well be right and time will tell. I've got two weeks to decide and if it doesn't work out then a serious look at the Shield is in order. Thanks for your insight.

I wanted to get a dedicated/new tablet for my P3S (and now the P3A).

I went to my local BestBuy (USA) and looked at all the tablets. I liked the 8" Smasung Galxy Tab2's as they were very nice and thin, but at a $300 price tag was a bit put off by that.

I then wen to the 'cheap' isle o the Tablets section... ;)

Most of them were junk, or heavy and thick, or old tech, until I came across this one :

INSIGNIA ELITE - 7.85" Tablet : $149.95
16GB Built-in Storage as well as a microSD slot for expand-ability.
Quad-Core 1.8Ghz CPU.
2GB DDR3 RAM.
Beautiful and Bright IPS 2048 x 1536 Resolution screen.
2.0 & 5.0 MP cameras (they suck though).

I used it at home for a few days, and must say, at 1/2 the cost of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2, it is
just as small and VERY thin, fast, great sound and works very well with my Phantom 3's.

In the beginning the standby Battery life was horrible. Draining almost 50% overnight, but a few days ago a new software update fixed it as it now drains almost zero % overnight.

The screen is bright as heck and very detailed/sharp.

I usually don't do these reviews, but for a measly $150USD, this is a steal..

No lag and smooth frame rate even at full HD videos or while flying the Phantom 3's.

5704046_sa.jpg

Been using the Elite Flex with my Advanced for a while now. Works fantastic.
Keith, is that your pic in your avatar?
I have a insignia elite but can't seem to get it to connect to the phantom 3. The camera button never shows are,
there any sittings I need to make in the tablet? Thanks for any help.

Which "it" ?
I think you can install either on any of the tablets mentioned.

I installed the DJI GO app on the Insignia Elite and it runs the app about as good as I've seen anything run it.

As long as it works for you do it. Sounds like a very good option at half the price of the Air 2. Biggest thing is does it work smoothly. If it does you win. Not to mention that you have the flexibility of android where when there are little snafus like the geofence fiasco this week. You can just delete and reinstall what you need. Can't do that with Apple.

With that said... I bought a slightly used iPad 2 Air that has cellular based on the recommendations here.. Undoubtedly clean video. Just unbelievably smooth. I'm sure this is the same on other platforms but I have no regrets.

I bought the insignia flex elite , it works but some time the video lags a bit then catches up. For flying around the house its ok but my lg g flex phone works flawlessly

I bought the insignia flex elite , it works but some time the video lags a bit then catches up. For flying around the house its ok but my lg g flex phone works flawlessly

Huge difference in display size accounts for that (elite has about 3 times the display size)

Also, the Insignia elite has a much higher resolution.

You're comparing Buicks to Porsches :) (course now, if you prefer Buicks.....)

Also depends what Phantom you're using it with. P3P can send a good bit more data back than the Advanced.

Last edited:
I bought the Elite and was not able to install DJI Go or Vertical Studio, I got a not compatible notification in Play. I brought it back and exchanged it for a Samsung Galaxy Tab E, no problems installing the apps on the Samsung. To bad though, I think I would have liked the resolution on the Elite but the Samsung seems alright.

Hello everyone. I bought the INsignia Flex Elite 7.85 for $134.99 a couple of days ago. Today it's on clearance at $119.99. At first DJI Go would say it was incompatible. I upgraded the Android firmware on the device and it took the app. I had my first flight today. The picture is very clear. However, having used my iPhone 6+ before, I miss how smooth Apple products are. The picture on the Insignia is very choppy. It stops and goes every few seconds. Just curious as to what others have experienced using this device and if they have found a way to circumvent the choppiness. I understand...you get what you paid for. I'm still happy about my INsignia purchase. Will call BestBuy tomorrow to request a credit for the difference.

Hello everyone. I bought the INsignia Flex Elite 7.85 for $134.99 a couple of days ago. Today it's on clearance at $119.99. At first DJI Go would say it was incompatible. I upgraded the Android firmware on the device and it took the app. I had my first flight today. The picture is very clear. However, having used my iPhone 6+ before, I miss how smooth Apple products are. The picture on the Insignia is very choppy. It stops and goes every few seconds. Just curious as to what others have experienced using this device and if they have found a way to circumvent the choppiness. I understand...you get what you paid for. I'm still happy about my INsignia purchase. Will call BestBuy tomorrow to request a credit for the difference.
You can scratch what I said above. The saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. I was using my iPhone 6+ before and it was great. I just wanted a bigger screen which the INsignia provided. However, the video was too choppy and it would stop every couple of seconds. The annoyance factor did it for me. I went to BestBuy and returned it for a Samsung S2 8.0. So far so good. I compared it with the new iPad Mini 4 and it had several more advantages than the iPad. I'm neither an Apple nor an Android guy. I have both, so I'm pretty impartial. But the Samsung tablet won this time.

Been using the Elite Flex with my Advanced for a while now. Works fantastic.
Keith, is that your pic in your avatar?
Well I just bought a used one off eBay. After reading some of the folks here it seems I might have been just a bit too trigger happy. The screen brightness won me over.
Your comment here seems like the only positive one - can you elaborate if the video feed is smooth enough?

Thanks!

Well I just bought a used one off eBay. After reading some of the folks here it seems I might have been just a bit too trigger happy. The screen brightness won me over.
Your comment here seems like the only positive one - can you elaborate if the video feed is smooth enough?

Thanks!

Guy, it kinda depends on the Phantom you're flying and the settings. To be perfectly honest, I find viewing even the very best FPV screens in daylight challenging. Sometimes REALLY difficult. So, with my P3A, and the sittings I use, it does fine. It's not always ultra smooth but for my needs it is more than adequate.

The processor is not as powerful as some of the more expensive units (obviously) but the resolution is up there with the best of them.

If you have a P3P and high quality video transfer settings, I suppose it might get choppy. I don't know since I don't have a P3P.
BTW...I bought it because I read OTHER people's positive comments. Keep searching :)

Overall I'm very pleased with mine and use it every time I fly. And at the price point of under $100.00 I don't have to worry so much about breaking it or losing it.

That said....if you're looking for really smooth video you'll need to spend more.

Last edited:
I bought the Elite and was not able to install DJI Go or Vertical Studio, I got a not compatible notification in Play. I brought it back and exchanged it for a Samsung Galaxy Tab E, no problems installing the apps on the Samsung. To bad though, I think I would have liked the resolution on the Elite but the Samsung seems alright.

That was your fault, not the devices :)
Many people (myself included) are running the Go App on the Insignia.
I do think you have to go through the update process on the tablet first IIRC

Guy, it kinda depends on the Phantom you're flying and the settings. To be perfectly honest, I find viewing even the very best FPV screens in daylight challenging. Sometimes REALLY difficult. So, with my P3A, and the sittings I use, it does fine. It's not always ultra smooth but for my needs it is more than adequate.

The processor is not as powerful as some of the more expensive units (obviously) but the resolution is up there with the best of them.

If you have a P3P and high quality video transfer settings, I suppose it might get choppy. I don't know since I don't have a P3P.
BTW...I bought it because I read OTHER people's positive comments. Keep searching :)

Overall I'm very pleased with mine and use it every time I fly. And at the price point of under $100.00 I don't have to worry so much about breaking it or losing it.

That said....if you're looking for really smooth video you'll need to spend more.

Hi, I've found this to be a good smart device for the P3P and P3 STD. I have a Nvidia 8" Note K1
but prefer the Xiaomi. Can also use it in a VR headset.

XIAOMI RedMi Note 2 32GB 4G Phablet

Im just speaking from experience. Not with that exact tablet but I've had an android and 3 ipad mini 2's before I gave in a bought an Air 2. You get what you pay for.
I've had the same experience as Brian. I am NOT an Apple FanBoy but I also, grudgingly, got the iPad Air2 for my P3P. It simply works beautiful, smooth, zero issues, and a large anti-glare screen that's even usable in direct sunlight. In this case, IMHO, you get what you pay for.
YMMV

I've had the same experience as Brian. I am NOT an Apple FanBoy but I also, grudgingly, got the iPad Air2 for my P3P. It simply works beautiful, smooth, zero issues, and a large anti-glare screen that's even usable in direct sunlight. In this case, IMHO, you get what you pay for.
YMMV

"Grudginly"....
"It simply works beautiful, smooth, zero issues, and a large anti-glare screen that's even usable in direct sunlight."
Welcome to the cult!!

58694739.jpg

I just bought the Insignia 8" FLEX from Best Buy for $69! Works with DJI GO. Great size and very bright screen. I was using the IPad Mini 2 and it was just too large and bulky. This Insignia is very light and thin and can support micro SD cards! Perfect for me!

Asus Zenpad 8 (Z380KL) works excellent. No any issues.
Flow with it a lot of times.

Android 6.0
DJI GO 3.0.0
Remote 1.6.0
P3A 1.09.60

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers