Found a Cheap but Excellent Andoid Tablet for P3A/P....

Reaction score
I wanted to get a dedicated/new tablet for my P3S (and now the P3A).

I went to my local BestBuy (USA) and looked at all the tablets. I liked the 8" Smasung Galxy Tab2's as they were very nice and thin, but at a $300 price tag was a bit put off by that.

I then wen to the 'cheap' isle o the Tablets section... ;)

Most of them were junk, or heavy and thick, or old tech, until I came across this one :

INSIGNIA ELITE - 7.85" Tablet : $149.95
16GB Built-in Storage as well as a microSD slot for expand-ability.
Quad-Core 1.8Ghz CPU.
2GB DDR3 RAM.
Beautiful and Bright IPS 2048 x 1536 Resolution screen.
2.0 & 5.0 MP cameras (they suck though).

I used it at home for a few days, and must say, at 1/2 the cost of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2, it is
just as small and VERY thin, fast, great sound and works very well with my Phantom 3's.

In the beginning the standby Battery life was horrible. Draining almost 50% overnight, but a few days ago a new software update fixed it as it now drains almost zero % overnight.

The screen is bright as heck and very detailed/sharp.

I usually don't do these reviews, but for a measly $150USD, this is a steal..

No lag and smooth frame rate even at full HD videos or while flying the Phantom 3's.

5704046_sa.jpg

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Can you take a photo of the screen outside in sunlight please?
I dont care much about the specs of a tablet as long as it works ok with a P3 - screen brightness is THE most important factor in my opinion!

Reactions: witold
It is by far the brightest tablet I have played with, including the new Galaxy Tab2's.
I can take a pic but that will never look like the real life due to camera lighting and sun direction etc..

When its bright and sunny out and you are not using a sunscreen, no matter what screen you use , you will not be able to see due to the glare. Doesn't matter what brand you use.

However, I compared it to:
LG G3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet (8" tablet)
Asus LTE 8" Tablet (older model)
Google Nexus 7

The Cheapo Infinity Elite 8" Tablet was by far the best to look at. Since it's IPS and a high resolution,
even from the sides it is perfectly viewable. It is comparable to the Galaxy Tab2 8", same size other than the 8core CPU in the Galaxy vs the 4core in the Inifinty Elite. (But the Samsun is almost 3x the cost!).

Nice Man, as of now i'm trying a rather budget time tablet.. Lenovo a710 =)) a little on the low side but i've heard that some people are also using this one with P3P no issues at all they said :D

I second the Elite. Here are some photos on the TX.

High resolution and reasonably bright display. Like most any display it will not win a competition with direct sunlight.

Rob

20151011_151429_resized.jpg

20151011_151449_resized.jpg

20151011_151508_resized.jpg

Reactions: TheAwesomeGuy
Took a quick picture outside just now. It is VERY sunny and bright out, mind you.
In the first Picture, I am in a slight shade from a tree. I can see everything very well.
20151011_143757_zpsvbkalpyj.jpg

In the Second Pic, I am with my back to the sun and I am my own 'shadow', still can see everything well enough to fly and control.
20151011_143716_zpskvptq2id.jpg

The "specs" for this tablet on Amazon says that it is "GPS enabled". Have you tried the follow me mode with this tablet to see if it has real GPS capability?

The iPad mini2 wifi has "gps" but it is wifi assisted gps, not useful for the follow me function. For it to work, it requires wifi & cellular. Unfortunately I purchased a wifi only model that cannot utilize follow me, and I was looking for a cheap alternative that had gps. That's why I was curious to know if you tried follow me.

Actually the Assistant GPS in Ipads with no Cell connection is not how you think it works.
It is a fully functional GPS that does NOT require a Cellular connection. All it does 'extra' IF you have a cell connection is to find Satellites quicker.

Same for android. It either has or does not have GPS. No in-betweens.
Android has the same 'feature' in most newer smartphones but they don't advertise it as an enhanced feature because they aren't fake like Apple is.

Can you take a photo of the screen outside in sunlight please?
I dont care much about the specs of a tablet as long as it works ok with a P3 - screen brightness is THE most important factor in my opinion!
Don't care much about the specs? You can control the sunlight that's getting to the screen but you cant add more processor speed, memory ect...

Lol you do which is why I avoid Apple like the plague!!!

To be honest you can have the fastest device on Earth but loaded down with software it can still run very badly. A new fresh install on a tablet kept just for my P3 may be the answer - raw power not so important then.
Bloatware - who needs it!!!

Lol you do which is why I avoid Apple like the plague!!!

To be honest you can have the fastest device on Earth but loaded down with software it can still run very badly. A new fresh install on a tablet kept just for my P3 may be the answer - raw power not so important then.
Bloatware - who needs it!!!
How many ipad air 2 problems have you found on this thread. Im not telling you to buy apple, just saying Ive been through this and I didn't have any luck with cheap out dated tablets. (My Air 2 is used for flying and flying only, I like to keep it clean and running smooth)

Reactions: hdskyvideo
Back on Topic, flew with the Insignia Elite again today. Was working very well.

Best Bang for the buck as far a I can tell, best by far of anything I could compare it to on-hand at any store in the state. Also I bought it, expecting to return it to Best Buy if it was not good with zero hassle.

Thin, Light, Fast and an awesome IPS Panel.

Just thought I'd inform others looking.

Picked up one this weekend, looks great but it seems to have some issues. It keeps saying that there is an update available for installation but after you download and install it it says the same thing. I guess they got the version wrong when they pushed it out. To say it devours the battery might be the understatement of the year! I bought it solely for use with Litchi, hopefully it will be fine for that.

As far as the specs for this tablet, do they stand up to DJI's requirements/recommendations for Android devices in terms of CPU speed, ect..? I'm on an IPad Mini3, most days I'm turned off from flying when it's a sunny day just knowing the beat down from the glare and faint screen in under these condtions..I haven't done any Android research reason I ask.

NSIGNIA ELITE - 7.85" Tablet : $149.95
16GB Built-in Storage as well as a microSD slot for expand-ability.
Quad-Core 1.8Ghz CPU.
2GB DDR3 RAM.
Beautiful and Bright IPS 2048 x 1536 Resolution screen.
2.0 & 5.0 MP cameras (they suck though).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie