Forward tip on takeoff, and other questions- *UPDATED*

Reaction score
Hello again-

I am flying, but there are some slight differences since before the skyfart (closely associated with the brainfart that caused it) the other day.

1. There is a very defined forward tip on takeoff that was not there before- the phantom was rising very level and stable, now it lists forward like the gimbal is weighing it down in front. It does recover quickly, but I don't like it, and it isn't right. I am afraid to tweak the settings in the assistant until I better understand pitch, roll and yaw, and all of those aeronautical terms and controls. Hoping to glean that here and how to approach corrections.

The weather has me grounded. I took the opportunity to go over the Phantom with a fine tooth comb.
After the recent tap into the granite, and changing the props, I had 1 prop that would not seem to fit- it seemed like the threads were stripped and come to find they were- as in FACTORY DEFECT (silver prop with integrated nut from self tightening- came in the pack with the v1.1.1)
I noticed this prop upon closer inspection before removing it sat ever so slightly higher than the other 3- about 3mm above. After removing all the props, and balancing a brand new set of carbon fiber props, and using the nuts (black and silver) included in the original kit, and firing it up for a brief run I can immediately tell a world of difference. I have not confirmed it, but I bet the takeoff will be stable, and the slight gyrations in holding patterns will be gone (fingers crossed) and my original, solid s a rock and smooth as a baby's butt flight characteristics will be back.

2. The holding stability is not as refined- and for that matter I get the feeling it would fly off if I didn't keep a diligent eye on the transmitter- and that is absolutely unacceptable as I use this as an aerial tripod. It is sporadic, and I tried gaining some altitude- but am afraid to get it too far away, even straight up, until I know it will stay in control.

*Please see above*

3. I also swapped out props- only 2 as they were the only ones that were scuffed from coming in contact with the granite monument. On one of the silver tipped propped motors, the original prop was hard to remove and felt like the threads were stripped- or crossed. I was extremely hyper-aware of the prop directions, and proper installation- I know I put the right props on the right motors, and I know I replaced the 2 in the same manner- but one motor is now much worse- I doubt when the prop comes off, the threads will be usable. Is it common for there to be bad threads from production? Is there any other pilots out there that have heard, or experienced this? In the event I choose upgraded motors, and rebuild this in the future, who has the best reputation for aftermarket motors? Any specific models I should consider?

*again- see above*

Re: Forward tip on takeoff, and other questions-

Just picking at straws here, but I read your other post about the compass dance where you mentioned seeing the green LED when first initiating the calibration. You should first see the yellow LED as you slowly rotate 360 while holding the quad horizontal, then you'll see the green when you point the nose down and do another 360 to complete the process.
Your compass MOD reading should fall within the 1400 to 1800 range for best flight results.

Have you balanced the props?

cczx14r said:
Just picking at straws here, but I read your other post about the compass dance where you mentioned seeing the green LED when first initiating the calibration. You should first see the yellow LED as you slowly rotate 360 while holding the quad horizontal, then you'll see the green when you point the nose down and do another 360 to complete the process.
Your compass MOD reading should fall within the 1400 to 1800 range for best flight results.

The compass is now calibrated, and in the proper range. I have checked it against the numbers in the vid where colin shows the magnet procedure- My Mod is approx 1560.

Blubud said:
Have you balanced the props?

No- but they are the self tightening, and I have not modified my balancer to work with them yet- I am waiting on a dubro as I saw the thread here and am going to copy that method. These stock self tightening that come with the v1.1.1 are supposed to be factory balanced, but I do not assume they are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav