Fort Massac Video

Reaction score
Here's a link to a 3.5 minute video of a state historic site. It has some problems (a couple of places I start to pan one way then immediately reverse) but I would
appreciate any input especially on controlling lighting.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I Liked it.

Things we need to think about. Keeping shots 3-7 seconds, Try not to use too many different transitions but sometimes you just need to try them out to see what works best with what you are viewing. Music to fit the mood you want to portray. The exposure, contrast and color saturation can be adjusted in post production. Getting the setting right in the stock footage makes it easier later.

Trying to do editing is a lot more complicated than we all first thought. It makes watching movies different now. You start looking at how the editor put it all together. it's a lot of work. I'm finding that thinking about the shots before you fly help making sure you got something you can edit together later makes the post production smother.

I'll never be great at it. Lots of research. So much to think about, but it is fun..

Thanks. 3-7 second shots seem almost counterintuitive but I see what you mean.
Post right now means iMovie but it is all I can handle at this point
I appreciate your response.

I agree, we all tend to do longer clips, because they interest us as flyers. We have to remember our audience. Shorter clips are much better. I like to imagine that if I am showing the video to anyone else, I don't want to have to say, "Wait, the good part is coming up..."!

The clip in this thread is really instructive and I really appreciate Adam's style and hard work:

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-3-vegas-shots.42608/#post-387943

Note: Adam since had a highly publicized (on this forum) crash and has decided that he should not have flown in the Vegas area due to a nearby airport and because of the crowds. That all said, it's a great example of good shots and great editing.

On a related subject, I think we should remember that we're not videoing to show off our flying but rather to show off the thing we're filming from a different perspective than we might otherwise be able to demonstrate it. So, focus on the unique thing about the place that you're filming and make it the star of the show.

This was a great subject and you have some really good clips to work with. Keep having fun!

Chris

Reactions: Jeff48920

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31