Forming new UAV club in Christchurch, NZ

Reaction score
Hi,

We are forming a club for UAV enthusiasts to meet and share knowledge and technical information as well as helping pilots improve their skills through flight practise at outdoor and possibly indoor flying meets. I would expect that the club would meet once or twice a month.

I am a keen videographer and pilot. I have a DJI Phantom 2 with H3-3D, a 550 Hex and also a Tarot 680 Pro that I'm building at the moment. I would like to gauge the interest from others who live near here who might be interested in joining a club and having organised events.

If you or anyone you know would be interested in joining the Southern UAV Enthusiasts Club (SUAVE) then please email me at [email protected]

Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete

Great idea. I'm in Christchurch, new to the hobby (an absolute novice) and interested. I've had a P2V+ for a couple months and before that an AR Drone and a pile of Proto-X Nanos. My biggest concern is someone doing something stupid with a UAV which will force the regulators into action. I hope this can avoided with education via user groups / clubs but I reckon there is also a need to educate the public so that those new to the hobby are aware of the risks they pose to the public and to my fun!

Let me know if / when things take off. As a PR exercise it would be great if we had a community (with permission) getting a bunch of aerial angles when this goes down http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/the-rebuild/10234858/Implosion-likely-for-police-station as long as i get the shot from a few meters directly above i'm in!

PetePerrim said:
Hi,

We are forming a club for UAV enthusiasts to meet and share knowledge and technical information as well as helping pilots improve their skills through flight practise at outdoor and possibly indoor flying meets. I would expect that the club would meet once or twice a month.

I am a keen videographer and pilot. I have a DJI Phantom 2 with H3-3D, a 550 Hex and also a Tarot 680 Pro that I'm building at the moment. I would like to gauge the interest from others who live near here who might be interested in joining a club and having organised events.

If you or anyone you know would be interested in joining the Southern UAV Enthusiasts Club (SUAVE) then please email me at [email protected]

Cheers
Pete

That would be pretty cool to watch the old cop-shop being blown to pieces from the perspective of a drone. Send me your contact details to [email protected] and we will get in touch. Also, if you know anyone else who might be interested then let them know as well.

Cheers
Pete

HacKiwi said:
Hi Pete

Great idea. I'm in Christchurch, new to the hobby (an absolute novice) and interested. I've had a P2V+ for a couple months and before that an AR Drone and a pile of Proto-X Nanos. My biggest concern is someone doing something stupid with a UAV which will force the regulators into action. I hope this can avoided with education via user groups / clubs but I reckon there is also a need to educate the public so that those new to the hobby are aware of the risks they pose to the public and to my fun!

Let me know if / when things take off. As a PR exercise it would be great if we had a community (with permission) getting a bunch of aerial angles when this goes down http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/the-rebuild/10234858/Implosion-likely-for-police-station as long as i get the shot from a few meters directly above i'm in!

PetePerrim said:
Hi,

Cheers
Pete

Hi,

Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete,
I've just found your post so not sure if it's even still valid.

I'm very interested in a dedicated club for this purpose (even if it's only half a dozen people!). I'm just in the process of planning my first build/first foray into drones. I've never flown before but I'm the type of guy who likes a challenge and I need to know why something works the way it does, hence the reason I'm planning to build my drone from scratch. I'd be really interested if this has gone ahead or if you have any links of anyone providing this type of regular activity.

I'm also particularly interested in the application of night vision for drones and the potential for it to be used for law enforcement/SAR, etc.
Ben.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic